Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2018, 02:10 AM   #121
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Another 6" reader! How exciting!

doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:11 AM   #122
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Sniff, sniff
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2018, 02:20 AM   #123
monic39
monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo H2o 1st + 2, kindle paperwhite 2015
boring indeed. Don't care for a 6 inch anymore. I don't understand this decission at all. Don't care, wouldn't buy it. I think it will be a let down from the start. Market for 6 inch is forfilled imo
monic39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:33 AM   #124
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Why are you all so surprised? I thought it was pretty much a given it was going to be a 6 inch reader. They need to be able to compete with the other manufacturers, and the Aura ed. 2 just wasn't making the cut. It's also the most popular screen size by far.
It was either this or a new Mini, but a 5 inch reader in the era of 6 inch smartphone isn't exactly going to be marketable to the masses...

Last edited by mathil; 05-11-2018 at 02:38 AM.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:51 AM   #125
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Another 6" reader! How exciting!
I am excited, I find the 6" format perfect, and comfort light pro is enticing (Glo hd's light is pretty good, but as an avid reader I would be happy with any improvement). 8GB is nice, but hoping it will have the traditional MicroSD Card that can be imaged to a larger one. Thankfully the blue button has been forgotten this time round!

Now it has been shown, I guess that the release is imminent, price anyone?
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2018, 04:19 AM   #126
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Now, when can I buy one? Or do I really want an Aura ONE again? Decisions.
I say very soon, the video is from Chapters, and Ratuken giving free shipping on all devices.

Last edited by oren64; 05-11-2018 at 04:44 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:19 AM   #127
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Assuming there are no step down in specs, if my Glo HD dies, I'll get this. Or maybe I'll get one for the heck of it. I'm glad they aren't abandoning the 6" ereaders.

Does it have water proofing?

Why a power button on the bottom? I use a stand a lot, and I should be OK with the stand I use (it has a gap on the bottom), but what is the logic for a power button on the bottom? Think of people using stands. Think of the people resting the reader on their lap or stomach when reading.

And why on every device does the backing change? Texture, beveling, ... Find something and stick to it.

Anyway, well done Kobo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:48 AM   #128
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
...Now, when can I buy one?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
... Or maybe I'll get one for the heck of it....
That's the spirit! Buy now, ask questions later
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:09 AM   #129
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
That's the spirit! Buy now, ask questions later
I think it is going to be a case of, buy now, get asked questions later. Like: Don't you already have enough ereaders?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #130
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Well, I was hoping for something a little more exciting, but this doesn't look like a significant upgrade from my first generation Kobo Aura.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #131
evirtue
evirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Aura One-Kobo Glo HD
No reason to buy over glo hd. Same specs.
evirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #132
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evirtue View Post
No reason to buy over glo hd. Same specs.
I can see three differences:

- 8GB storage
- ComfortLight Plus
- Updated CPU

Personally, the second is enough for me to be thinking about updating. The storage is handy but I don't need all my books with me all the time. And it will be interesting to see how the change in CPU affects things.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #133
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Nothing here to make me regret I bought a Glo HD when they were clearance priced.

Quote:
Now, when can I buy one? Or do I really want an Aura ONE again? Decisions.
You really want an Aura ONE. See above.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #134
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Nothing here to make me regret I bought a Glo HD when they were clearance priced.
Mine was full priced the day they were released here. I haven't regretted it. If you got if for a good price, then even better.

While there isn't anything particularly exciting about the Clara HD, it is a good update to the Glo HD, and in line with the features of the recent devices. Unless someone wants the colour changing light or the extra storage, then there is no reason to update from a Glo HD.
Quote:
You really want an Aura ONE. See above.
I like the size of the Glo HD for my commute. If I get a Clara HD, it will mainly be because I can get one. Of course, I might pick one up and hate it. Or be horrified by the price.

As to the Aura ONE, yes, I do want another one. But, not quite enough to pay for it. If I can delay the gadget lust, I might see if Kobo release an updated version in October. That will be two years for the Aura ONE, so that would be the right time for an Aura ONE-TWO.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #135
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
While there isn't anything particularly exciting about the Clara HD, it is a good update to the Glo HD, and in line with the features of the recent devices. Unless someone wants the colour changing light or the extra storage, then there is no reason to update from a Glo HD.

If I get a Clara HD, it will mainly be because I can get one. Of course, I might pick one up and hate it. Or be horrified by the price.
Kobo needed to bring their 6" reader on at least parity with the Paperwhite 3, Nook GlowLight 3, etc. Shame they discontinued the Glo HD for the Aura. If they price the Kobo Clara HD at $120-150, it would be good competition for the aforementioned.

I wouldn't be buying a Kobo with their previous line up of Aura 2, Aura H2O 2 and Aura ONE. The only Kobo reader I liked in that line up is the Aura ONE Limited and $300 after tax is just more than I'd want to spend on one e-reader. It's only due to blog posts and comparison reviews of the Glo HD vs Aura and Aura H2O 1st vs 2nd ed that I've been considering Kobo (and I'm more interested in the discontinued models).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote