Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #151
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'll pass as well on it, my Glo HDs are perfect for me and I don't really see anything improved on in Clara.

And if that image above is correct in how the word "Kobo" is on the reader, I much prefer how it is on the Glo HD. It's a shiny black on the matte black frame, so it is there but it's very unobtrusive, you really don't notice it at all while reading.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #152
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
So it looks like the major new feature would be the comfortlight. Not sure if this is enough reason for me to upgrade my Glo HD.
The HD screen is nice, but I don't think it would push me to upgrade from my Aura. But having just gotten yelled at for the bright light of the Aura, the color changing light is tempting.

Quote:
Especially since my experience with colour temperature with Aura ONE has been a little disappointing.
And that is why I won't upgrade until it has been out a bit and the reviews roll in.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #153
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Well, in spite of not actually needing it and being satisfied with my non-HD Glo for my small reader, €129 is cheap enough for me to consider getting it as a "backup" device or an update for the regular Glo (the frontlight of it is way too white and bright, but I rarely use it anyway).

I'd still feel more excited about an Aura ONE successor or something more innovative.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #154
CLMF
CLMF began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
What's the difference between the Aura and the Glo lineups anyway? Aren't they both 6 inches and basically the same?
CLMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:03 PM   #155
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLMF View Post
What's the difference between the Aura and the Glo lineups anyway? Aren't they both 6 inches and basically the same?
The Glo was Kobo's first frontlit ereader. It had a 6" 1024 x 768 213 DPI eInk Pearl screen.

The original Aura was also a 6" device with a 1024 x768 213 DPI eInk Pearl screen. It used a capacitive touch screen and so had a flat front without the inset screen seen on Kobo ereaders other than the Aura One.

Both of them had external uSD card slots with the same processor, internal storage and RAM. The Aura lacked the internal uSD card of the Glo which meant if it was bricked, it generally stayed bricked though there were reports that if the internal storage was not bootable, it would book off the external uSD card.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 PM   #156
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLMF View Post
That's a little hard to answer. As you say "lineups", then we have "Glo" and "Glo HD" in the Glo lineups, which are both 6" but different resolutions. In the Aura lineup, we would have "Aura HD", "Aura", "Aura H2O", "Aura ONE", "Aura Edition 2" and "Aura H2O Edition 2", which have three different screen sizes and three different DPI's.

If you just mean the Glo and the two editions of the Aura, then they are all 6" screens with resolution of 1024*768. The original Aura was different in that it had a capacitive touch screen, and I think it was a flush bezel. Both the Glo and the Aura Edition 2 have IR touch and a raised bezel. Because of that, it wouldn't be hard to argue that the Aura Edition 2 should have been the "Glo Edition 2".

The other thing here is that the original Aura has probably generated the most extremes in response to it. A lot of people hated it. And there are a lot of people who seem to think it is the peak of Kobo's hardware development. Everything since is derivative or loses important function (yes, an exaggerating, but not by that much).

But, I suppose the real question here, and implied by a lot of other people, is: Is this a good update from the other 6" Kobo devices?

To me the answer is yes. But, it isn't a must have replacement. By that I mean:
  • If you have a Glo HD, you probably don't want to rush out and get a Clara HD, but if you break the Glo HD, the Clare HD is a good replacement.
  • If you have a Glo, then this would be a good update and I would recommend it over the Aura Edition 2.
  • The same goes for the Aura, but the change in how the touch works, might not make it attractive.
  • And the same goes for the Aura Edition 2, but, as it is much newer, I wouldn't expect owners of these to be rushing to update.

All that means is that for people who like 6" Kobo ereaders, I think the Clara HD is probably going to be the best choice for an update or replacing a broken device. But, if you are happy with your current device, there isn't anything about it that says "update now".

Of course, all that might change when we actually have one in our hands. Maybe it will be crap and not worth it, or maybe it will be so much better than its predecessors, everyone will want one.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:43 PM   #157
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Does this mean the Aura 2 is toast? Or will they drop its price permanently to $90 or $100 to compete against the Basic Kindle?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #158
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I assume, since I have read nothing, that the new device is not waterproof?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #159
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if you'll be able to directly borrow books from Overdrive with the Clara?
Old 05-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #160
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I wonder if you'll be able to directly borrow books from Overdrive with the Clara?
That's one of my pet peeves about ereaders - when a purely software feature is locked to a particular hardware. There's no reason why any Kobo that can run the latest firmware could do the direct borrow on device thing, but they limit it to the Aura ONE.

Similarly I can only get inverted colours on my Kindle Oasis when it clearly doesn't depend on the hardware.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #161
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
That's one of my pet peeves about ereaders - when a purely software feature is locked to a particular hardware. There's no reason why any Kobo that can run the latest firmware could do the direct borrow on device thing, but they limit it to the Aura ONE.
The problem is we don't know why the OD support has never been added to the other devices. There are plenty of reasons for why it hasn't happened and in a recent post somewhere here I mentioned few. Personally, I think it's probably some "marketing genius" who thinks they will sell more of the expensive devices if they restrict it. Or that they will sell less books overall.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure we won't see OD on the Clara HD. Unless someone can find that "marketing genius" and convince them otherwise.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:09 AM   #162
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure we won't see OD on the Clara HD. Unless someone can find that "marketing genius" and convince them otherwise.
That's what I'm afraid of. But I'm still hoping that the Clara might have that feature. (Not really holding my breath, though.)
Old 05-16-2018, 02:16 AM   #163
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I just purchased a new Aura Edition 2. Should I return it and wait for the Clara to be release? Are they about the same price with better specs?
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:51 AM   #164
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
I just purchased a new Aura Edition 2. Should I return it and wait for the Clara to be release? Are they about the same price with better specs?
We don't have an official price. In fact, we don't officially know the Clara HD exists. Kobo haven't made an official announcement yet. All this discussion is based on leaks: the FCC documents, an ad posted when it shouldn't have been and a shop details page made available when it shouldn't have been. While that info is pretty good and clear, when Kobo do make the announcement, everything might change.

The price claim I have seen is $129 USD or 129 Euros. The US Kobo shop has the Aura Edition 2 at $119.99. If these price for the Clara HD is correct, I think the extra $10 is worth it (higher resolution screen, double the storage, better light, updated CPU*). But, if the Clara HD is more expensive, or you paid less for the Aura Edition 2, the difference might not be worth it.

* Kobo updated the hardware in the Aura Edition 2 recently without any announcements. The main difference is a new CPU. The same CPU will be used in the Clara HD. I assume the new CPU will be faster or more efficient, but I don't know. Some details of the change are here.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #165
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
We don't have an official price. In fact, we don't officially know the Clara HD exists.
you should go read my post again where I mention that I am under an embargo.

Where do you think I got the US price?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote