Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 07-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
James, Henry: The Turn of the Screw (illus). v1. 05-Jul-2021

THE TURN OF THE SCREW

HENRY JAMES (1843–1916)

WITH A PREFACE BY THE AUTHOR

ILLUSTRATIONS BY:
ERIC PAPE (1870–1938);
JOHN LA FARGE (1835–1910);
BIRKET FOSTER (1825–1899)

The Turn of the Screw is a haunting tale of suspected supernatural possession. A governess at a country house claims that Miles and Flora, two orphaned children in her care, are being controlled by spirits for some evil purpose. No one else can see the ghosts, and the children themselves are silent. Are they being dominated by spectral forces, or are they hiding something? Is the governess simply paranoid, or is something else going on?
(—Publisher’s blurb)

==========
Henry James (15 April 1843 – 28 February 1916) was an American author who relocated to Europe as a young man, eventually becoming a British citizen in 1915. He is regarded as a key transitional figure between literary realism and literary modernism, and is considered by many to be among the greatest novelists in the English language.

As well as fiction, James published articles and books of criticism, travel, biography, autobiography, and plays. He was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1911, 1912, and 1916.

His novella The Turn of the Screw has garnered a reputation as the most analyzed and ambiguous ghost story in the English language, and remains his most widely adapted work in other media. He also wrote a number of other highly regarded ghost stories, and is considered one of the greatest masters of the field.

==========
The Turn of the Screw was first published in 1898. This ebook is in the public domain where copyright is “Life+80” or less, and in the USA.

==========
Although the library already contains Pynch’s excellent Complete Works of Henry James , I thought we could stand to have a stand-alone ebook of this iconic ghost (?) story. This includes the illustrations from the original serialization in “Colliers Weekly” magazine, and preface taken from Novels and Tales of Henry James (1908).

So dive in, and revel in the chills afforded by this recounting of a terrifying experience by an unreliable narrator.

EDIT: Uploaded corrected file.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TurnOfTheScrewThumbnail.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	188063  
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 JamesH-TheTurnOfTheScrew-illus.azw3 (3.05 MB, 304 views)

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 07-12-2021 at 04:48 AM. Reason: upload correction
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:48 AM   #2
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forgot I meant to add this comment --- check out the header illustration just at the beginning of Chapter 1. The governess with her arm around Miles --- is hers the hand cupping his head, or the hand gripping his shoulder??? And whose fingers are creeping in from the left-hand frame of the picture?
Advert
Old 07-07-2021, 11:14 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Thank you for this illustrated edition.

There is a small error - the title displays as "The Turn of the Scre" on my Kindle Oasis TOC. Typo in the metadata.

Also, would you consider assembling an illustrated volume of James' ghost stories? I'd love to to have all in one volume, with suitable figures.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 07-07-2021 at 11:28 AM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:02 AM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Hi poohbear_nc --- I have uploaded corrected version, thank you for the heads-up!

About an illustrated collection --- I *would* like to do this, but I will have to look for source files. I will have to find the original magazine publication for each story, and I am not sure if they are all available online.
I also actually need a definitive bibliography for the “ghost stories”. Different sources list different stories...
Old 07-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

@poohbear_nc
Well, I have had a stroll on the web, and it looks like this will be a no-go.

The Romance of Certain Old Clothes and The Private Life appeared in Atlantic Monthly (Feb 1868 and Apr 1892), available, but magazine is not illustrated

The Ghostly Rental appeared in Scribner's Monthly Sep 1876, likewise magazine not illustrated.

The Friends of the Friends (“The Way It Came”) in Chapman's Magazine May 1896, likewise magazine not illustrated

The Jolly Corner appeared The English Review Dec 1908, likewise magazine not illustrated.

Owen Wingrave reported to appear in The Graphic, a weekly illustrated newspaper, but the 1892 issues do not seem to be available online

The Real Right Thing is reported to appear in Black and White Magazine April 1892, but I can't find any issues earlier than October 1892

I can't find any information for Sir Edmund Orme.

If you know of other illustration sources, let me know!

gG
Advert
Old 07-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Sorry to hear this .. but thanks for taking the time to do the research!

And thank you for all the wonderful books you've uploaded! Helped widen my reading during the pandemic!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghosts, gothic fiction, horror, supernatural fiction