Notices

Old 11-25-2020, 10:38 PM   #46
eeeink
Banned
eeeink doesn't littereeeink doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Exactly. Moreover, most of the people not wanting to register their ereaders still use internet daily, have smartphones, bank cards and accounts etc. I'd consider those things to be far more invasive of one's privacy than ereaders. But hey, what do I know...
Privacy is not an all or nothing proposition. We are past the age that one can live anonymously in this world, but does not mean it is in our best interest to participate in the mass data collection and profiling done by large corporations.

There’s plenty of ways you can opt-out of these nefarious practices, especially if you live in a GDPR country.

If it doesn’t bother you - great! Live your life. It bothers me, so I choose to opt out.
eeeink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:37 PM   #47
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeink View Post
Privacy is not an all or nothing proposition. We are past the age that one can live anonymously in this world, but does not mean it is in our best interest to participate in the mass data collection and profiling done by large corporations.

There’s plenty of ways you can opt-out of these nefarious practices, especially if you live in a GDPR country.

If it doesn’t bother you - great! Live your life. It bothers me, so I choose to opt out.
That's pretty illogical. You can't opt out if you use internet and bank account, among other things. My reading habits are certainly among the very last things I worry about anyone knowing, there are much more important concerns in my life than Amazon or Kobo learning I like trashy genre fiction, for example. Let 'em profile me based on that to their heart's content. My preferred reading material can say only so much about me as a person. My bank account certainly tells a far more detailed story about my habits and lifestyle, but for some strange reason no one seems to worry about that.

But of course it's no skin off my nose what you want to do with your ereader. Just seems pretty weird to worry about someone knowing your reading preferences, when large corporations almost certainly already know far more about you.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2020, 05:59 AM   #48
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Then that just leaves the library to get books. Personally I don't care, get them from where ever you like and read them in your bunker.

Um, hello, MR library.

And there is Guttenberg, Feedbooks, ...

EDIT: Oops, I guess the MR library is a library. All though when I think "library" I think checkouts and returns.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:09 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Piracy is what comes to mind when people say they want to bypass the registration. It's really no different properly registering as it is to buy eBooks. You have to give the same information. Kobo, Amazon, and others do not care that you've side loaded eBooks. So that's not an issue. Also, using the library to get eBooks also gives out your information. In fact, more then you have to give to register.

So given that the Reader companies do not care about your side loading and buying eBooks gives more information (you have to give payment details) and library books gives out more information as registering, what is the reason to not register?

I know it's possible, but I think it's highly unlikely that someone is just going to read public domain/creative commons eBooks and never read any other.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:12 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Exactly. Moreover, most of the people not wanting to register their ereaders still use internet daily, have smartphones, bank cards and accounts etc. I'd consider those things to be far more invasive of one's privacy than ereaders. But hey, what do I know...
And they have cable TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, or whatever and these companies gets their TV viewing habits.
Advert
Old 11-26-2020, 06:14 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Um, hello, MR library.

And there is Guttenberg, Feedbooks, ...

EDIT: Oops, I guess the MR library is a library. All though when I think "library" I think checkouts and returns.
But do you know anyone who just reads public domain/creative commons eBooks?
Old 11-26-2020, 07:44 AM   #52
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is your point?
Old 11-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What is your point?
My point is the same or similar to the point DNSB made previously in this thread.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #54
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I have my Kobos registered to me. A friend has his Kobos registered but since Kobo does not check the email address and does not require any other information, he registers with a email in the format username@erewhon.xyz or nameless@newhon.zyx. Which may let you know a couple of his favourite authors but not much else.

He makes quite a few purchases from Kobo and they happily sync to his ereaders. However, he purchases Kobo gift cards and uses those to pay for his purchases. Admittedly, if someone was dedicated enough, they could trace the card activation back to his card but that would not say who was actually using them. Those 20% off sales at Canadian Tire are a good way of helping to keep the costs of his habit down.
Quote:
My point is the same or similar to the point DNSB made previously in this thread.
What does that have to do with people only using public domain ebooks?
Old 11-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #55
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
he registers with a email in the format username@erewhon.xyz or nameless@newhon.zyx. Which may let you know a couple of his favourite authors but not much else.
Samuel Butler?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #56
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Do you know anyone only reading public domain books and nothing else? Because I certainly don't. The point is, if someone says they never buy ebooks and aren't using a public library (because that would require registration as well), the question arises where do they get their reading material?

Of course they could read public domain ebooks and fanfiction or similar, and the rest on paper. But coupled with not wanting to register their ereader, it smells a bit fishy, imho.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You got the wrong post. This is the correct post.

Quote:
This brings up the question of where you are obtaining your ebooks from.

There are only so many public domain books out there and many people are more interested in newer material so stating you don't buy ebooks is a bit strange for someone who is asking about how to not register his Kobo Forma.

I have trouble visualizing someone who is happy downloading freebies only from Amazon/Kobo/etc. and even there for most of them, you need an account to do so. Public libraries are even stickier since they want to see your ID before issuing a library card.

This leaves one major source of "free" in copyright ebooks which, sadly, brings the word piracy to mind and does fit in with a touch of paranoia about privacy.
Read the last line.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Do you know anyone only reading public domain books and nothing else? Because I certainly don't. The point is, if someone says they never buy ebooks and aren't using a public library (because that would require registration as well), the question arises where do they get their reading material?

Of course they could read public domain ebooks and fanfiction or similar, and the rest on paper. But coupled with not wanting to register their ereader, it smells a bit fishy, imho.
Very well said!

Another question is why by a Kobo Forma just for public domain/creative commons/fan fiction eBooks?
Old 11-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #59
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
My mom, the last time I checked her calibre library. I have bought one kindle book for her but otherwise every book was ethically sourced from places that do not ask her to create an account.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
My mom, the last time I checked her calibre library. I have bought one kindle book for her but otherwise every book was ethically sourced from places that do not ask her to create an account.
Pirate!