Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #1
elieli
elieli began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Question How to sync (2-way) annotations between computer and Kobo for DRM-protected ebooks

Like several students, I'm finding myself having to do online classes this year at university, and another side effect has been limited physical availability of required books or long delays for shipping from the academic bookstores.

My books exist in DRM-protected epub or PDF format, which is great, since I try to limit my physical book collection these days anyways. I have a Kobo Glo HD and thought I could conveniently read and review my class readings on either my Kobo or computer (Mac) depending on my preference in the moment (choosing between rough on eyes or bigger screen and quicker note typing).

However, after digging around the web and here on the forums, I can't figure out if this 2-way sync is even possible. It seems like such a basic thing, in 2020. Heck, I'd even settle with just plugging in my device through USB to get it to sync, I'm not asking for wifi syncing. Is there any way to do this that doesn't involve convoluted and complicated methods ? I found a lot of threads on exporting annotations, but that's not what I'm looking for. Bonus points if I can also sync to iOS, while we're at it.

tl;dr: How can I 2-way sync annotations for DRM-protected epubs and PDFs between a Kobo Glo HD and a Mac ?

Thanks a lot in advance !
elieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
You can only sync between various Kobo device or Kobo app the books You bought from Kobo.

I don't now anything about Mac, I don't even know if there is a Kobo app like the android app or Kobo desktop in Windows but it doesn't seem important because, if I understand correctly, Your books are not bought from Kobo.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2020, 10:48 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by elieli View Post
However, after digging around the web and here on the forums, I can't figure out if this 2-way sync is even possible. It seems like such a basic thing, in 2020. Heck, I'd even settle with just plugging in my device through USB to get it to sync, I'm not asking for wifi syncing. Is there any way to do this that doesn't involve convoluted and complicated methods ? I found a lot of threads on exporting annotations, but that's not what I'm looking for. Bonus points if I can also sync to iOS, while we're at it.

tl;dr: How can I 2-way sync annotations for DRM-protected epubs and PDFs between a Kobo Glo HD and a Mac ?
tl;dr: No. Otherwise there would be discussion on it.

As you have seen, there is a lot of discussion about syncing annotations. And not just here, but in other areas of the forum, with other devices, apps, formats, etc. The basic conclusion is that there are no good ways to do it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotations, drm, syncing