Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kobo is very capricious in regard to fonts. I had to edit many of my custom fonts with FontForge, otherwise Kobo didn't display them correctly.

Well, Kindles are capricious too, but a bit less than a Kobo.
Is this for KePub or ePub? Does one or the other work better with fonts?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
...and DejaVu Serif Eink (modified by a MR member) on my Nook.
Do you embed the fonts in the ePub?

On my Nook, I use Georgia or Malabar. On my Kobo I mostly use Literata Book
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2020, 12:36 AM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this for KePub or ePub? Does one or the other work better with fonts?
I don't use kepub, so no idea really how it behaves with fonts. From what I remember while trying different formats at first, epub was fussier. I use epub these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Do you embed the fonts in the ePub?
Yep. In those epubs that go to my Nook ( I keep separate libraries in Calibre for all my books, for Kindle/Nook books in epub/azw3 and for Kobo books in epub. The titles mostly overlap between the last two and are included in the first, but as they require different settings - plugboards for Nook and Kindle, font embedding for Nook - it's simpler this way).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:24 AM   #19
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
That's a pretty good looking font. Do you use IBM Plex Sans for sans-serif?
I very rarely if ever use sans-serif, but were I going to, I would probably use the Plex.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:26 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I very rarely if ever use sans-serif, but were I going to, I would probably use the Plex.
Some books use sans serif. Sometimes just for chapter headers and sometimes in the main text. I;m going to get the IBM Plex Sans a try and see how it goes.
Advert
Old 08-05-2020, 08:54 AM   #21
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Whatever font the ereader throws up, as long as it isn't really obnoxious. I really do not notice a font, when I read, unless it throws me out of the story.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:22 AM   #22
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Some books use sans serif. Sometimes just for chapter headers and sometimes in the main text. I;m going to get the IBM Plex Sans a try and see how it goes.
Plex Sans seems like a good font for headers. Maybe I'll try it.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #23
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
I have Calibre convert everything it can to the Plex Serif output. Everything else, I just leave be. I don't build or edit ebooks, but sans-serif fonts are just harder for my eyes to deal with.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #24
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I usually just use whatever the default font is.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:26 AM   #25
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Almost always Bookerly, sometimes Literata Book. For some reason I don't like Bookerly on my iPhone or iPad mini Kindle app.

I do like the look of that Plex Serif. Is that one that can be added to Kindles?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I have Calibre convert everything it can to the Plex Serif output. Everything else, I just leave be. I don't build or edit ebooks, but sans-serif fonts are just harder for my eyes to deal with.
I'm not talking about reading with a sans-serif font as the main font. I'm talking about using IBM Plex Sans when the eBooks's CSS says to use a sans-serif font.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Almost always Bookerly, sometimes Literata Book. For some reason I don't like Bookerly on my iPhone or iPad mini Kindle app.

I do like the look of that Plex Serif. Is that one that can be added to Kindles?
Yes it can be added to Kindles that support side loaded fonts.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:55 AM   #28
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Thanks!
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Quote:
I don't know if this is the best source for it (or whether there is a specific version for eReaders) but I found it for download here...

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/IBM+Plex+Serif

I gave it a try, but I still prefer Constantia.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know if this is the best source for it (or whether there is a specific version for eReaders) but I found it for download here...

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/IBM+Plex+Serif

I gave it a try, but I still prefer Constantia.
You can just download Plex directly from IBM: here

They offer Open Type, True Type, web versions and source code.

Edit: If you're confused by the IBM Plex Sans KR Styles (like I was) it turns out that they didn't include Korean versions of the font as there are so many characters involved, it is a separate download. If you download from that page, you get Plex Serif, Sans, Hebrew, Arabic, Thai, I forget what else.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-05-2020 at 03:15 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote