Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-12-2020, 05:04 AM   #31
Mohrwyn
Mohrwyn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Also if you do embed fonts, do you have the license to distribute these fonts?
I'm using free to use Google fonts. No problem
Mohrwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:12 AM   #32
Mohrwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I'm guessing that the reason you don't like serif fonts is because the thin parts wash out and become too thin and make it look bad. There are fonts that have been tweaked to look good on ereaders; ChareInk that JSWolf used in his example is one, Caecilia is on both the Kindle and the Kobo and is what I use. The Kindle's Bookerly is also a good one.

So using serif fonts on an ereader is not a lost cause.
I don't like most of the serif fonts, even when I'm reading a newspaper .

And don't forget: since computers entered our world, decades ago, people got used to sans serif reading on digital devices. I simply reads a lot easier on screen then serif fonts.

If I don't add my own fonts, I don't have any clue about the fonts that will be embedded by Kobo, Kindle or Smashwords. ChareInk and Bookerly is no Google font, nor is it installed on my computer... And Caecilia still is a serif font .
Old 04-12-2020, 06:02 AM   #33
Mohrwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Serif vs sans serif is definitely a preference, no arguing with that.

But there are conventions that probably should be followed (don't ask me why). After a previous thread on the topic of sans versus serif I looked through my piles of books and I have never found a novel or short stories collection that's set in sans.

I apologize for being harsh but whenever I start reading an ebook novel and it's set in sans, it feels cheesy, amateurish, and unprofessional to me.
You made me curious, so I've started to look around about what is said about the use of serif vs sans serif.

After reading several blogs and websites about fonts, it seems there are no rules pro or con to the use of either one. Whether it's used for print or on screen.

That said, it turns out that it's mostly about how a particular fonts makes the writer and/or the reader feel. Simply said: it's down to preferences and that something that's very hard to argue about.

Some points mentioned did get my attention. Like:
  • According to studies, serif seems to be the easier fonts to read, no matter if it's on print or on screen
  • Serif fonts are seen as classic, elegant, formal and established
  • Sans serif fonts are seen as modern, friendly, direct, precise, clean and minimal
  • The use of serif, sans serif or a combination of both, regardless for what purpose, is an ongoing debate among designers

In the "old" days of computers and digital devices, the screen quality was low. For that reason sans serif was used, because serif fonts were very hard to read, if not impossible (think about serif fonts in the old green or orange pixeled screens ).

Nowadays we have high def screens even on the smallest devices, so even sans serif fonts are pretty easy to read. Whether one likes them or not .

Before the digital era, sans serif fonts were very uncommon to use for print, so, yes, when you go through your printed books, you'll hardly find a novel printed in sans serif. That doesn't mean it's common practice to use serif for digital devices. Most people are used to read sans serif on screen.

So big question in the end is: should I oblige my readers to sans serif or not, by embedding my own fonts.

My answer: I still don't know, though I tend towards yes. Because it, unconsciously, tells the reader something about me, the writer. I actually really am/love friendly (I hope!), direct, precise and minimal...
Old 04-12-2020, 06:14 AM   #34
Mohrwyn

We're going off topic :)

The original question is answered (yes, I now know how to embed fonts in Calibre!), and I'm very greatful for that.

But there seems to start a discussion about whether or not to embed fonts and about font types. Though it initially gave me some insight, it's gotten way passed topic by now. Someone should probably start a new thread for those topics .

I'd like to thank each and everyone of you for your help and active participation, and "close" this thread.

Happy reading and writing!
Old 04-12-2020, 06:50 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As for serif vs. sans, even on an lower resolution 800x600 6" screen with less contrast, I still preferred serif. So it's not a matter of contrast and/or resolution. It's that it's more comfortable to read with serif. When I read length passages with sans, it's not as comfortable to read.

But if you are unsure which type of font to use, don't use any and let the user choose. Even if it's just from a list of fonts that come with the device, the user would still be able to choose from serif or sans. This is one reason why embedding a font for the body is not a good idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:31 AM   #36
Mohrwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for serif vs. sans, even on an lower resolution 800x600 6" screen with less contrast, I still preferred serif. So it's not a matter of contrast and/or resolution. It's that it's more comfortable to read with serif. When I read length passages with sans, it's not as comfortable to read.

But if you are unsure which type of font to use, don't use any and let the user choose. Even if it's just from a list of fonts that come with the device, the user would still be able to choose from serif or sans. This is one reason why embedding a font for the body is not a good idea.
I wasn't talking about e-reader screens but about the green or orange computer screens from the early 80's and 90's . BIG difference . That's were and when sans serif became common use. Back then, it definitely was a contrast/resolution matter.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:22 PM   #37
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohrwyn View Post
I'm having trouble with embedding fonts in Calibre.
And I can't install the font families. I looks like it does, I can choose and add them, but they don't appear in the list.

How do I add fonts to the Font stylesheet mentioned on the left side of the edit screen? How do I make the fonts visible in other readers beside Calibre?
I'm having the same trouble as the OP. My objective is to experiment with various font styles to replace default drop caps. I am able to choose and add, but they do not appear under Fonts on the left side of the editor. It's blank and '0'. I have even placed them in Calibre's fonts/ folder to reference. I've also edited the CSS as recommended in post #2. My experience level: novice.
What am I missing?

Thank you.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #38
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I'm having the same trouble as the OP. My objective is to experiment with various font styles to replace default drop caps. I am able to choose and add, but they do not appear under Fonts on the left side of the editor. It's blank and '0'. I have even placed them in Calibre's fonts/ folder to reference. I've also edited the CSS as recommended in post #2. My experience level: novice.
What am I missing?
How are you trying to embed the font file(s)? The following works for me in the Editor:

File > Import files into book > navigate to/select font files
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #39
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have several 'Font' folders with a CSS and the fonts that go with it. Some are for different appearances, but some are for special purposes

I just 'Import files' (all of them in the folder) into the epub and link the stylesheets

Code:
/* ----------------------------------------------*/
/* Style sheet to use Bookerly fonts ------------*/
/* ----------------------------------------------*/
@font-face {
  font-family: "Bookerly";
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(../fonts/Bookerly-Regular.ttf);
}
@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(../fonts/Bookerly-Bold.ttf);
}
@font-face {
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: italic;
  src: url(../fonts/Bookerly-RegularItalic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: italic;
  src: url(../fonts/Bookerly-BoldItalic.ttf);
}
body {
}
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	179935  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Is this a separate Stylesheet?
Did you remember to link it to the book files?

Remember the C in CSS is Cascade: if you set the family in the body {}, it must be later than all previous declarations.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Is this a separate Stylesheet?
Did you remember to link it to the book files?

Remember the C in CSS is Cascade: if you set the family in the body {}, it must be later than all previous declarations.
I would put the font embedding in the main CSS and not have any other CSS. I much prefer one CSS for the entire eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, embedding, epub, font