Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Love it or hate it?

I noticed that people seem to either love or hate Neil Gaiman's American Gods. What other books do you know of like that?
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
I noticed that people seem to either love or hate Neil Gaiman's American Gods. What other books do you know of like that?
John Fowles' "French Lieutenant's Woman" was on my college reading list.
Everyone in the class loved it; but the lecturer thought it was rubbish.

Our combined efforts eventually obliged her to admit the error of her ways.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I guess the Lord of the Rings trilogy would have to fit into that category. Even people who love "The Hobbit" couldn't slog through LOTR.

Watership Down? I loved it enough that I have read it once a year for nearly 30 years. When I enthused about it to a friend, she read about 20 pages, and said "Uh, rabbits?" and quit.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
I'm just about to make my second attempt at reading American Gods. I started it with high expectations, it seemed like just my kind of book. I quickly realized I didn't like the writing style, or the main character. I gave up pretty quickly.

It's kind of odd, because I really enjoyed Coraline, so I don't think there's anything specific about his writing that I hate.

Battlefield Earth is another love/hate book. Some people dismiss it out of hand because of the author, and its use of familiar tropes, and the awful movie. But the book itself, once you strip out all the exterior stuff, is really a fun read.

Carl
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Jonathan Livingston Seagull was that way. Others like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance were more a case of getting it or not getting it. (I recommend both very highly.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Jonathan Livingston Seagull was that way. Others like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance were more a case of getting it or not getting it. (I recommend both very highly.)
I loved "Jonathon Livingston Seagull" when it first came out and I read it. That was many years ago, of course. Now, I'm not so sure I'd like it as well. Looking at life from a different perspective, maybe?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I recently tried Adverbs by Daniel Handler - gave up after 20 pages. Supposedly a set of interconnect stories about love, but I didn't get it. Anyone else like it?
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
any mark twain book
we had it shoved on us when we were in school, good or not it developed a distaste
same for hamlet and his father
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:15 AM   #9
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I guess the Lord of the Rings trilogy would have to fit into that category. Even people who love "The Hobbit" couldn't slog through LOTR.

Watership Down? I loved it enough that I have read it once a year for nearly 30 years. When I enthused about it to a friend, she read about 20 pages, and said "Uh, rabbits?" and quit.

I read the Hobbit and LOTR several times each; but that was 25 years ago. I enjoyed them then. But, nowadays I do not think they would be as enjoyable, plus my tastes have changed.

Zen and The Art of..... love that book. I get it.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:38 AM   #10
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Hmmm yes, I think that one indeed is one of "those" books. I tried it years ago and hated it while everybody around me loved it. Perhaps I should try again, just one more time...
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment