Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
DRM books always blocked?

I am very new to ebooks, and have downloaded three Overdrive library books so far. Each time, ADE has bounced back with an error code, requiring me to access each book on my hard-drive, and manually unblock it. What can I do so that my books open as they should right away?

Thanks!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
As far as I know, you always have to unblock them first before you can open them.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

According to Overdrive's tutorials, clicking on "Open" at download should send the book to one's ADE library seamlessly. In my case, all that does is cause an error message because of a blocked file.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
ADE or the Sony Library software need to be used to load the book onto your reader. You can't simply copy the book itself onto the reader without going through one of those two programs because they need to be authenticated. However, I'm a little confused as to how you managed to download the books directly to your reader anyway. When I buy a DRM protected book or download one from the library, I don't get the actual book downloaded when I click "download." I get a file which can only be opened in either ADE or the Sony Reader Library software. In any event, you may have better luck getting your question answered in the Sony forum since there are many PRS 505 owners there.

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
According to Overdrive's tutorials, clicking on "Open" at download should send the book to one's ADE library seamlessly. In my case, all that does is cause an error message because of a blocked file.
Not sure, but you may have a problem with Windows associations. Windows needs to be associated with the file type for ADE in order for it to seamlessly open the files. I think the file type is .ascm, though don't quote me on that. Just google how to do file associations for your particular version of Windows (assuming you have Windows. If something else then you probably need someone else to help you) and see if that solves the problem.

Eric
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

This isn't a SONY issue, but a Windows one. I have .acsm set to open with ADE, but there's still an error as the files are blocked when ADE goes to open them at download.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
This isn't a SONY issue, but a Windows one. I have .acsm set to open with ADE, but there's still an error as the files are blocked when ADE goes to open them at download.
Try having the Sony software open it instead, it can be used instead of ADE for Adept DRM'd ePub downloads.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I've added ADE to the Firewall Exception List, so we'll see how the next book goes.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
eric11210
Addict

That's likely your problem then. I thought you meant they weren't opening correctly. Good luck.

Eric