Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Ever Get That Crowded Feeling?

How do you handle crowded situations?
Does it get you anxious, claustrophobic, angry or do you get a cozy feeling of unity?
Does it affect you differently in different situations?

Last edited by Javed; 02-07-2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: swap to better photo
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
My answer? Detach and relax. iPod!
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I start thinking about how wonderful it would be to be a hermit.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
detach and relax, go with the flow - unless someone starts talking to me .......
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
RUN AWAY!!!!!

Oh and I guess the job title of those uniformed guys in the you-tube is "Pusher" eh?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I moved to Noosa (a seaside, "green", holiday town) from the most population-dense council in Australia - Sydney (city). Here...yeah, the beaches can get a little close in summer, and the main street can have a lot of people on it, but it all moves slow with happy people.

Saying that, I make infrequent visits to Sydney, just to be there. Sydney is noisy. That's the first thing I notice, and the last. The noise does not stop day or night. Second is that everyone - every single person crushing and rushing the footpaths and shops - is on a mission, going from a point A to a point B. Every single person is in their own little speeding and sparking biosphere of personality, emotion, appearance, motion, orderly disorder or disorderly order, and private neurological universe. They are magnificently beautiful residents of a magnificently beautiful zoo. In those crowds, anonymity, solitude and loneliness are easy...far easier than the relaxed, soft-shelled interractions of familiarity and neighbourliness of my new home.

I need to go back to those crowds. Here rests my soul, and I will be here as much of forever as I can grab, but I still need that introversion and retraction and detachment that I can get in the loud city; that feeling of moving along at one's own pace inside the crowded veins of some mad, dumb beast.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Does it get you anxious, claustrophobic, angry or do you get a cozy feeling of unity?
I will start hitting if I can't see in front of me. When we go skiing and we have to take a large cable car up (you know, one of those packed with 50+ people), I always make sure I stand on the edge, with my face on the window. If I were to be packed in the middle of that, I'm not sure how I'd handle myself. I'm not that tall, so I can't see over all those heads (most likely, I'll only see backs and fronts, not even shoulders...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I moved to Noosa (a seaside, "green", holiday town) from the most population-dense council in Australia - Sydney (city). Here...yeah, the beaches can get a little close in summer, and the main street can have a lot of people on it, but it all moves slow with happy people.

Saying that, I make infrequent visits to Sydney, just to be there. Sydney is noisy. That's the first thing I notice, and the last. The noise does not stop day or night. Second is that everyone - every single person crushing and rushing the footpaths and shops - is on a mission, going from a point A to a point B. Every single person is in their own little speeding and sparking biosphere of personality, emotion, appearance, motion, orderly disorder or disorderly order, and private neurological universe. They are magnificently beautiful residents of a magnificently beautiful zoo. In those crowds, anonymity, solitude and loneliness are easy...far easier than the relaxed, soft-shelled interractions of familiarity and neighbourliness of my new home.

I need to go back to those crowds. Here rests my soul, and I will be here as much of forever as I can grab, but I still need that introversion and retraction and detachment that I can get in the loud city; that feeling of moving along at one's own pace inside the crowded veins of some mad, dumb beast.

Cheers,
Marc
I know exactly how you feel when you return to Sydney. Even though the town I work isn't that large, it gets very crowded (it's the only large town in a large area). But my reactions is rather the opposite. I'll do whatever I need to do as fast as I can so I can return to the quiet of my home. And whenever I do get home (after a shopping trip for example), I'll turn off the engine of my car and simply enjoy the sound of silence. I'd probably go nuts if I had to live inside a big city. On the edges of a medium sized one wasn't too bad, but I do prefer the 50-home hamlet I live in now.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 AM   #8
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post

I had tears rolling down, I was laughing so hard! That is Tokyo rush hour! thousands of people get up +- 1 hour earlier than necessary, and go back several or many station, or right back to the beginning of the line in order to get a seat!

The first time I came to Tokyo and had to take a train during rush hour, I ended up being almost 3 hours late for my appointment. At first - horrified- I thought I would just wait 15-30 min for the rush to slow down... 2 hours and several attempts later, I decided to walk. It was mid summer and extremely humid and I only had a very vague idea of where I was.... That trip I spent a ridiculous amount of money on taxis, because I couldn't work out the bus system. Fortunately I was living near the center of the city.

These days, not for love or any amount of money, do I take a job that I can't cycle to or at the very least, a job that starts and finishes outside rush hour. Even then... I still sometimes find myself in that crushed situation. It is absolute hell!

To answer the question; it gets me anxious, claustrophobic and angry - even after all these years.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #9
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
My response to crowds is variable depending on the situation and generally falls into one of the below categories.

When in the city, I like the feeling of being lost in the crowd. To me it seems like drifting peacefully in an agitated river; a kind of paradox in which I feel quite detached of the outer ebbs and flows of the cacophonous surrounding turbidity. The train that I travel on to the city is generally not too overly crowded (very unlike the Tokyo one) and I enjoy traveling on this. The crowds at these times are kind of like looking at stars at night; it makes me realize there is a vast ocean, of which I am one single entity. This can help put any problems or worries in a different perspective for me.

Other times, when in a crowd that is focused on sharing a common experience, such as watching a street performer or attending a concert, then I have a unified feeling. This seems like a common thread that is woven between myself and those surrounding me. Although others may perceive the same situation differently, the reality remains that I perceive it as a type of fused state in which a crowd may laugh, be happy or just stare in unison with vacant attentiveness...as one crowd.

On the other hand, I can sometimes get annoyed and become impatient by people that thoughtlessly or constantly stop in front of me when I am walking, by people bumping me, being immovably blocked and also when waiting in lines when they do not seem to be moving. At these times I feel a strong sense of wanting to break free of restriction.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I simply couldn't/wouldn't do it. at all. I go to big cities fairly often for work (and rarely entertainment etc). fortunately my work requires tools and equipment and I would never have to deal with such a situation.

did you notice how QUIET it was!?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I hear they are opening a school for little children across the street from Zelda. Apparently, the SHUMS will be taught how to whistle. Old MacDonald maybe?

vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, no. Apparently, there are many who see whistling as an important job skill and word has gotten out about the École de Siffler coming to Zelda's neighbourhood. The crowds of parents have started to form outside her window. I'm just guessing that this school is going to be expensive since it seems that many are offering the shirts off their backs.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
"Ever Get That Crowded Feeling?"

Nope but every once in a while I get that Lovin Feeling.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Oh, well. That does it. It turns out that the founder, president, and sole instructor at the École de Siffler will be none other than Slim Whitman (see below) himself! It looks like half the planet is registering their SHUMS for this school.

So, Zelda, you won't mind a few extra people on your street, will you? You just might learn to enjoy the whistling of all those cute little kiddos. No?

Old 02-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I get extremely tense...........extremely. its gotten worse as I age. Makes me wish I could push a hidden button and pop out a bunch of sharp things like a porcupine......I like my space.

Which is why I like online shopping.

I grocery shop in the mornings, early like. Even WalMart isn't busy at 7 AM.........

The scenes in the OP's post? Not an option for me.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need more space?