Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #1
GordonGekko
Enthusiast
GordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Kindle For Mac App Updated Now Not Accepting Sideloaded Books.

"Kindle cannot open files in the Kindle Document format" is now the message I get even after converting to Mobi and trying some of the suggestions I found on older threads like removing the PDOC tag etc.

Everything was working fine until originally the app flashed a message that it needed to be updated, I uninstalled the old one and installed the 1.17.1 version. I am on the latest Calibre version but I am using a 6.0.7 DeDrm version, current is 6.5.3, does anybody think it is the DeDrm version that needs to be updated that could correct this problem? If I do update it do I need to remove the old plugin version before adding the new one or will it just overwrite it?

I am still able to sideload books to the Ibooks Mac app which I can live with although I prefer reading on the Kindle app so if there is an easy solution I would appreciate any help you can offer.

I am not using any devices, just the app, thanks for your help.
GordonGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The DRM removal tools clearly have nothing to do with whether or not the Kindle for Mac application will display non-Amazon Mobipocket format ebooks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
GordonGekko
Enthusiast
GordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The DRM removal tools clearly have nothing to do with whether or not the Kindle for Mac application will display non-Amazon Mobipocket format ebooks.
OK any idea on why it is no longer sideloading?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't tried it on my Mac myself. There may be some difference in the third-party MOBI that calibre could tweak to fool the programme and make them load again.

Alternatively, they might have changed to only allow access to files downloaded from Amazon, rather than ones that just appear in the folder.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:54 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why do you want to sideload books to the Kindle for Mac app anyway? Just send them diorectly to the Kindle either using calibre, or email.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2017, 03:22 AM   #6
GordonGekko
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Why do you want to sideload books to the Kindle for Mac app anyway? Just send them diorectly to the Kindle either using calibre, or email.
I don't own a Kindle. I am trying to move them directly from Calibre as it always worked before by dragging the book to the kindle app but now it is no longer accepting them.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:44 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So once again, why? If you dont have a Kindle why are you using Kindle for Mac?
Old 01-14-2017, 06:32 AM   #8
GordonGekko
Enthusiast

Quote:
So once again, why? If you dont have a Kindle why are you using Kindle for Mac?
Why does it matter, it was the app I preferred to read on as it was the only one that could control brightness within the app, I only read ebooks on my laptop.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah, you like its reader. Trying to understand what you do with it would help us help you. Try converting to azw3 instead of mobi.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
GordonGekko
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ah, you like its reader. Trying to understand what you do with it would help us help you. Try converting to azw3 instead of mobi.
My apologies, I've had too many interactions with other tech forums that have some elitist arrogance and instead of offering assistance, they want you to prove why they should help you.

Tone is difficult to convey online, thanks you solved it, I had stopped using AZ3 because at one time it was not accepting them, seems to work now and thank you for creating the Calibre App.

Update: Although it is not accepting certain books with AZ3, hit or miss at this point, I will probably just stay with Ibooks and Epub.

Last edited by GordonGekko; 01-14-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is my belief that the big A is actively trying to defeat side loading of content on the PC App.

On the (older) XP version, I could load any Kindle format. On W10 (up to date) Version, it only allows importing PDF

The 'Walled Garden' crowd thinks building higher walls will improve $ale$. Some of us simply believe in a good product, great service at a fair price. I paid a little more for my first reader to get one that was NOT linked to a particular store. I understood the 'Kodak Model': Cheap Camera, profit on the film and processing. I will give them they never ruined my slides

YMMV
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:17 AM   #12
GordonGekko
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is my belief that the big A is actively trying to defeat side loading of content on the PC App.

On the (older) XP version, I could load any Kindle format. On W10 (up to date) Version, it only allows importing PDF

The 'Walled Garden' crowd thinks building higher walls will improve $ale$. Some of us simply believe in a good product, great service at a fair price. I paid a little more for my first reader to get one that was NOT linked to a particular store. I understood the 'Kodak Model': Cheap Camera, profit on the film and processing. I will give them they never ruined my slides

YMMV

I agree with you and there is a place for the cheaper devices however I believe that Amazon should give their Kindle away for free if the deal is that you can only use it with Amazon purchased ebooks.

The reader that you bought for a premium, was it the Kobo? What reader are you using now?
Old 01-15-2017, 04:50 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko View Post
I agree with you and there is a place for the cheaper devices however I believe that Amazon should give their Kindle away for free if the deal is that you can only use it with Amazon purchased ebooks.
Note that this thread is about the Kindle for Mac software application, that Amazon do give away free.

No-one has reported any problems side-loading onto physical Kindles that they have bought.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:05 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko View Post
"Kindle cannot open files in the Kindle Document format" is now the message I get even after converting to Mobi and trying some of the suggestions I found on older threads like removing the PDOC tag etc.
How are you opening the books? I've just tried opening some of my old Mobi files in my calibre database, and also some recent ePubs converted to mobi.

(I have .mobi set to open in Kindle for Mac, so I'm double-clicking the file in the Finder.)

They display just fine. This is Kindle for Mac 1.17.1 (44182), Mac OS X 10.12.2.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:53 AM   #15
GordonGekko
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Note that this thread is about the Kindle for Mac software application, that Amazon do give away free.

No-one has reported any problems side-loading onto physical Kindles that they have bought.
We were writing about devices not apps and the only way you can sideload an ebook onto a Kindle is by using DeDrm via Calibre, Amazon did not free up the Kindle to accept all forms of ebooks thus in my opinion the device should be free.