Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #31
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Will the black version of Kobo be available at launch? In my opinion it looks far better than the white one. I like the white one but the button looks horrid.
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just received and unpacked mine. Have to say so far I am VERY impressed!

Lovely screen; packaging is elegant. It comes in what looks like a classic book case; when you slide the contents out, the inner packaging opens like a book, with the Kobo on the right, it's screen protected by a removable plastic sheet.

On the left side is found the "Quick start" guide, and the USB cable.

No CD supplied; the program installs from the Kobo when it is plugged in via the USB cable.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #33
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Pan and zoom sounds great. Does it maintain the zoom ration after you flip a page?
Can we expect frequent firmware updates?
I just tried it on mine and it does maintain the zoom when you page.

We have many firmware updates planned. The PC/Mac software that ships with the Kobo Reader will automatically download firmware updates as they become available.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #34
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamelin View Post
Will the black version of Kobo be available at launch? In my opinion it looks far better than the white one. I like the white one but the button looks horrid.
The black ones are coming soon, but they won't be available day one. Sorry
Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #35
hoosier
hoosier began at the beginning.

Device: still deciding
hi all - I noticed on their website it says the kobo is coming to the US in the summer of 2010 - any word on when that will be? Have they announced what stores will be carrying the reader (if any) here in the US?
hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #36
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
What Im waiting for is to be able to bookmark more than one book. I usually read about four books at once, so I'd hate to have to flip though every page each time.
Kobo seems a nice entry level device, but is has no features I want. But I'd buy it and give it to my mom, but not until it has bookmarking for more than one book.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #37
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Bittybye, I thought it would remember the last page you read on each of your books. That way you could jump from book to book, you just wouldn't be able to jump to a specific page of a book just the last page you were reading.

Maybe JCKobo can help, because I think this might be a deal breaker for a bunch of people.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #38
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
What Im waiting for is to be able to bookmark more than one book. I usually read about four books at once, so I'd hate to have to flip though every page each time.
Kobo seems a nice entry level device, but is has no features I want. But I'd buy it and give it to my mom, but not until it has bookmarking for more than one book.
It should remember the last page read on each book independently. Is it not doing that for you? If not, please contact help@kobobooks.com. For what it's worth, I have 39 books open on my device, each with their own bookmark.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #39
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks JCKobo, I thought that was the case.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #40
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Pan and zoom sounds great. Does it maintain the zoom ration after you flip a page?
Can we expect frequent firmware updates?
Our eagle-eyed dev lead for the Kobo Reader software just corrected me - we do support orientation change as well. You have to change it via the menu and can't just rotate, but the device can definitely rotate PDFs
Old 04-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #41
bamelin
Enthusiast

Heya JCKobo,

I just wanted to give you the perspective from somebody who has been on the fence about ebooks for over a year now.

Price has been the only thing holding me back. I'm actually going on a cruise in June and I'd started looking at Kindles and Sony Pocket Readers ... but I just felt I couldn't justify spending 200 + dollars.

It was a fluke I found out about Kobo literally today, not sure why I decided to go web trawling about Ebook Readers while at work.

Anyways long story short, at 250 + price is prohibitive (Kindle), at 180 - 220 price is iffy (Sony), at 150 price is a no brainer (Kobo).

I think that you guys are going to get alot of people like me who have wanted an Ebook Reader for awhile but not been willing to pay over 200 for one .... especially given that many of the extra "features" on some of these Readers barely work at all in Canada (I think).

At 150 I don't even have to think about the purchase I can just buy it. I swear I'll be pissed if I get into Chapters tomorrow and they are sold out.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #42
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamelin View Post
Heya JCKobo,

At 150 I don't even have to think about the purchase I can just buy it. I swear I'll be pissed if I get into Chapters tomorrow and they are sold out.
Thanks for the great feedback - that's exactly the reaction we are hoping for. If you can't find it, all I can say is 'you should have pre-ordered!!'

Seriously though, I know there are quite a few at each store. If you get there early, you should have any trouble.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #43
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I might be stupid (ok, I AM stupid). I just found how to add PDFs to the unit; but... how would I add my own ePub format books, or books I borrow in that format from the library.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #44
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I might be stupid (ok, I AM stupid). I just found how to add PDFs to the unit; but... how would I add my own ePub format books, or books I borrow in that format from the library.
DRM free ePubs and PDFs you can just drag on to the drive - just make sure you eject it properly.

Books you buy from Kobo can be loaded using the Kobo desktop software that comes with the device.

For DRMd books that aren't from Kobo, like those you get from the library or you purchase from other retailers, you can use Adobe Digital Editions to copy the files over.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #45
bamelin
Enthusiast

How many books are going to be available through the Kobo ebook store?

Tags
kobo