Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 10-31-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Hearts of Three, by Jack London

Published in 1918 in England.

From manybooks.net

[Attachment deleted by moderator - please see below for the reasons for this]
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:07 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Hmm I don't see the point of posting books from Manybooks without reformatting them. There's no TOC, no page break between chapters etc... in this one.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sonist,

Thank you for your upload, but this book needs major reformatting to make it readable.

As Hadrian notes, there is no table of contents, and no page breaks between chapters. In addition, you have irritating blank lines between paragraphs, even in such things as the poem at the start of the book (have you ever seen "double spaced" poetry?)

What did you do to it after you downloading from "manybooks"? What tool did you use to create the book? We'll be happy to help you to "get it right". As it is at the moment, though, it's pretty much unreadable.

Sorry to be blunt, but honesty is always best in these things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The book has been removed; it was a straight copy of the LRF book taken from "manybooks.net". The whole point of this forum is that it is for "hand formatted" eBooks which "add value" to the originals which are to be found at places like PG, manybooks, etc. There's absolutely no point in just re-posting here a book that you've downloaded from another site, so please don't do so!

Thanks!

[Forum moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, well..., I am still a noob, don't even have an ereader yet - waiting for my PRS-700 order to be filled. Guess I got a bit too excited.

But I'll be happy to edit the file and make it palatable, and then upload it again in the first post.

I did try playing with Calibre, but the conversions don't look right when viewed through Calibre on a PC (no Chapters are detected, no space between paragraphs, etc..) I can't tell if they'll look different on a ereader.

Is there a better way to edit these things than Calibre? What is the best way to edit these files (I am assuming, outside of Calibre?)

A pointer would be appreciated. Thanks!
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well, we appreciate the intention, especially since you are willing to learn. for making your own books, i would recommend you use the WYSIWYG interface on feedbooks ; that way you can make an epub book (which you can read on your sony, when you get it), and the file is also available in any other format. you can make some very nice formatting that way (page breaks between chapters, a linked Table of contents, etc.). there is a help page to get you started, and if you have any questions i'm sure hadrien will be happy to help you out. happy bookmaking ! and welcome to the forum. i'm sure you will love your sony, once you get it. i'm tempted to get one myself...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:54 AM   #7
Sonist
Apeist

Thanks for the pointer, Zelda:-)

I went to feedbooks.com (great site,) and did a search - Hearts of Three was already there! (http://www.feedbooks.com/book/3132)

But I did play with the ebook publisher there, and entered Hector Malot's Nobody's Boy (I think it worked.)

Since Hearts of Three has already been published on feedbooks.com by someone else, perhaps this whole thread can be deleted by the moderator.

Again, thanks for the help!

Old 11-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
The Alternative
Techno-Junkie
The Alternative doesn't litterThe Alternative doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 (x's 2), PRS-505, PRS-600, iPhone, iPad
I can't comment on Calibre or the Feedbooks editor since I've never used them myself but they seem to get a LOT of publicity on this site. I can say that I've been using BookDesigner for almost 2 years with great success. Do a search in Mobileread for BookDesigner and you'll find a great deal of helpful information on formatting and using the application. It is one of the best e-book tools I've ever come across!

(It seems a lot of people see BD as a daunting piece of software but once you learn the basics you'll not be disappointed.)
The Alternative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I guess there is a little mixup here.

You can't compare Calibre to Bookdesigner or the Feedbook interface. Calibre is essentially an ebook libary with viewer and converter, Bookdesigner relies heavily on the editing side of things whereas the feedbook interface is just that, an as easy as possible interface. All three are great applications and do their work beautifully. I am just grateful for these tools and can see me using all three for special purposes
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I guess there is a little mixup here.

You can't compare Calibre to Bookdesigner or the Feedbook interface. Calibre is essentially an ebook libary with viewer and converter, Bookdesigner relies heavily on the editing side of things whereas the feedbook interface is just that, an as easy as possible interface. All three are great applications and do their work beautifully. I am just grateful for these tools and can see me using all three for special purposes
... and Feedbooks is not just a publishing service: we distribute these books through our website (normal and mobile), our API (Stanza on the iPhone) and the Kindle guide.

But you're 100% right, they're all very different, and in some cases complementary too. Calibre could connect to Feedbooks through the API for example, to download, convert and transfer books.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Nonetheless -- having this thread here has pointed ME toward a book I never heard about before, but which looks interesting. So thank you!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote