Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
ravenwing4u
ravenwing4u began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone, Ipad
Hello and a.pdf conversion question

First I want to say I LOVE calibre and it is lovely and all that I can hope for for I'm running 0.6.49 version.
This is since the last upgrade I have a few .pdf titles that appear to be fine and no problem when viewed in the .pdf format. However when converting to .epub this is what I get:
!

" #$ % &' (% )*

'

+ %(, - .' / ) + (# /

this has never happened before any ideas?
ravenwing4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there haven't been any changes to the pdf input plugin in a long time, so I doubt its something specific to 0.6.49. If one of these files is not copyrighted post it here and we can take a look.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-26-2010 at 06:51 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
ravenwing4u

Hellow and a .pdf conversion question

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't think it was anything with the update but thought I'd best mention I have the latest version. I don't think there is a problem with this book copyright wise if there is I'm sure someone will let me know.

Please see attachment.

Thanks again
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Barclay, Linwood - Fear The Worst.pdf (1.13 MB, 6220 views)
Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
It converted fine for me.

.... but it's still being sold on Amazon... so it's probably still under copyright....
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yup converted perfectly for me as well. post the conversion log after running a conversion (get it by clicking the rotating spinner in the bottom right corner)
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
ravenwing4u

Hellow and a .pdf conversion question

Well go figure I sent you the wrong file, I apologize to you for wasting your time. I've attached the problem file plus the conversion file when I try to convert.

Thanks so much,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Barclay, Linwood - No Time For Goodbye.pdf (1.14 MB, 861 views)
File Type: epub Linwood Barclay - Fear the Worst.epub (2.11 MB, 178 views)
Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That PDf is an OCRed text it uses a combination of scanned images and converted text. This type of PDf is not supported by calibre.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
ravenwing4u

Thanks for the information I really appreciate your time and efforts.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Theeo123
Theeo123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I've encountered similar problems, luckily I also have a full fledged copy of Acrobat 9 pro courtesy of my work. i admit though I'm complete novice in it's use, is thee a way that i could strip the OCR content so as to make the document usable by Calibre?
Theeo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can use acrobat pro to save the pdf as html and then convert the html with calibre.