Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
rickstarz
Enthusiast
rickstarz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Authorization

So can anyone here offer a brief guide/outline to the authorizing of ebooks, and, for me in particular, give advice on how to avoid getting messages saying, in my case, 'this computer is not authorized to preview this ebook.'*

*I use Sony library, I wish to continue using it despite of choice alternatives. I have acquired a Adobe ID, and the software says I'm authorized for DRM content, but in spite of this it won't let me view a book I bought through Waterstones. Fortunately, I have a copy of the book still on my reader (would this have anything to do with the problem? All the books on my reader are copied to the library as backups.) Another thing of note is that I have a library installed on three seperate computers. The book I purchased is, I believe, on all of these.

Is there something I did wrong to confuse the file? What could I do to fix this (not being a fan of the prospect of removing software and starting from scratch.)

Thanks in advance for any help.
rickstarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Let me see if I understand this..

You have the Sony 600 with the UK firmware. What operating system? XP, Vista, Win 7, Mac... ?

You have the Sony Library and ADE installed on 3 computers.

ADE and Sony Library on all computers have the exact same log in and password.

Once you log in to the Sony Store, under "My account ->My Authorized Computers and Devices", does it list your Reader and all your computers?

I believe ADE only allows 6 devices (computers and Readers) so you should only have used 4 (if you haven't deauthorized and reauthorized anything).

Have you opened ADE on the other computers and authorized each of those computers also? (under authorize computer)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
rickstarz
Enthusiast

I just logged in to the Sony site and looked in my account but couldn't find the 'my authorized computers and devices' part.

Now, thinking about it, I'm unsure whether I actually registered my registered my reader or not. I remember registering something, but this might be my VAIO laptop. Perhaps here lies the key!

By the way, you have it all right - and I have Windows 7.

I'm not really sure about the last part. What does ADE mean, I haven't figured it out yet...
Old 04-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
ADE is Adobe Digital Editions

When you go to 'My Account' in the Sony Library software the Authorized Devices will be towards the bottom of the screen. There should be a link called 'Manage Devices'. This will show what computer(s) and Reader(s) are authorized.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
rickstarz
Enthusiast

I can't actually find a 'my accounts' button at the moment on the software. Is it meant to be somewhere in particular?
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Bring up the Reader Library go to the eBookStore
at the top choose My Account, log in
and then scroll to the bottom of that page to see Authorized Devices
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
rickstarz
Enthusiast

I think I can't see anything due to the fact that I'm not registered properly. I'll try registering the device and come back.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
rickstarz
Enthusiast

Right, I've registered the device, but went to the Ebook store but still could not find the button being mentioned.
I looked for it here and here but could not find a 'manage devices' button. Perhaps this is only available through the US site?

Last edited by rickstarz; 04-08-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstarz View Post
Right, I've registered the device, but went to the Ebook store but still could not find the button being mentioned.
I looked for it here and here but could not find a 'manage devices' button. Perhaps this is only available through the US site?

Oh...I didn't realize you were not U.S. That very well could be. I know the procedures etc. are different.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Don't look on the web site but through the Reader Library software.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Don't look on the web site but through the Reader Library software.
Right! That's what I said earlier....
Old 04-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
rickstarz
Enthusiast

In my library on the Ebook Store tab there's five different links to ebook-related sites. I can't quite spot the 'my account' button I'm afraid.

Do you want me to post a screenshot incase I'm missing it?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
kennyc

Rick the link you posted above is the web/browser interface.

That does not allow you to get to what we are talking about.

You have to open the Sony Library that was installed as an application on your computer.

Then you will see the My Account button etc.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
rickstarz
Enthusiast

Ok, this is what the Ebook Store looks like on my library. Check it out to see if it differs in anyway to the one you use:

click
Old 04-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
grooks
Wizard

That definitely looks different than the U.S. version. I would say to either select a specific retailer or select the Home icon beneath eBook Store in the upper left corner.