Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which shops do you purchase ebooks from?
Amazon Kindle 62 65.96%
Apple Books 0 0%
Barnes & Noble Nook 5 5.32%
Blackwell's 0 0%
eBooks.com 9 9.57%
Google Play Books 17 18.09%
Hive 0 0%
Kobo Books 53 56.38%
Smashwords 25 26.60%
Directly from the publisher or author 36 38.30%
Other 24 25.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2024, 10:40 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Should I buy their stuff directly through Smashwords? Does the publisher get to keep a larger percentage of the funds that way?
I believe so, yes. But if you're not sure, just ask the author or publisher.

" We don't charge for our ebook publishing, conversion and distribution services, and we don't sell publishing packages. We earn our small cut only when your book sells through our distribution network. Our commission is only 15% or less of the net, which works out to 10% of the retail price when your book sells at our retailers. For example, a $10.00 ebook sold at one of our retail partners earns authors $6.00, the retailer earns $3.00 and Smashwords earns $1.00. The same book sold at Smashwords earns the author about $8.00 since Smashwords pays higher rates than most retailers."

https://www.smashwords.com/about/supportfaq
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:21 AM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I believe so, yes. But if you're not sure, just ask the author or publisher.
Right on. I'll buy their books from Smashwords directly.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2024, 11:22 AM   #18
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Primarily Kobo, these days, if only because I prefer to have seamless syncing between my devices.

I still buy the odd Kindle book here and there when Amazon is running a sale that is not matched elsewhere.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 08:57 AM   #19
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
I rarely buy books, but when I do they are almost always indie titles. I try to buy them directly from the author’s website first and if they don’t sell directly then I go to Smashwords. I buy from indie publishers like Angry Robot. I love buying StoryBundles. Purchasing from Amazon is a last resort.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 10:52 AM   #20
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I now purchase 100% from Kobo.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2024, 07:59 PM   #21
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Amazon. The books are (for me, at this moment) the most convenient to purchase and cleanse. If that latter changes I'll have to buy elsewhere. I occasionally purchase from Kobo, Smashwords and, rarely, Baen.
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 11:29 PM   #22
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Mostly Kobo, but enough Google Play, Smashwords, and direct from authors that I selected those too.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:11 AM   #23
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If by "purchase," you mean acquire, even when they are free, then quite a few of them. I very rarely spend money on ebooks anymore. I consume mostly audiobooks these days, but won't turn down a freebie ebook for the TBR collection if it seems even half-way interesting.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 01:40 PM   #24
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I buy mainly from Amazon.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:46 AM   #25
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Mostly Libby
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:42 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Mostly Libby
You cannot purchase eBooks from Libby. When you do buy eBooks, where you buy them from?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 04:00 PM   #27
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
#1 (absolute non-negotiable requirement) for me is the ability to remove DRM. #2 (preference) is selection of books that I like. Currently, my best shot at both of these is Amazon. But I'm certainly not beholden to them. As soon as a different vendor pops up that meets my needs better than Amazon, I'll switch. Or I should say, if another vendor pops up that meets my needs equally as well as Amazon but has something else I desire - better ethics, better prices, etc. - then I will switch as well. I have zero "brand loyalty" to any eBook vendor. You would need "brand loyalty" if you didn't have requirement #1 above, but that doesn't describe me - I would simply stop buying eBooks if I was forced into a walled garden with no DRM removal escape. I already own enough to make it through the rest of my life. I often times wonder why I keep buying more (but I have indeed cut back significantly in recent years).
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:01 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
#1 (absolute non-negotiable requirement) for me is the ability to remove DRM. #2 (preference) is selection of books that I like. Currently, my best shot at both of these is Amazon. But I'm certainly not beholden to them. As soon as a different vendor pops up that meets my needs better than Amazon, I'll switch. Or I should say, if another vendor pops up that meets my needs equally as well as Amazon but has something else I desire - better ethics, better prices, etc. - then I will switch as well. I have zero "brand loyalty" to any eBook vendor. You would need "brand loyalty" if you didn't have requirement #1 above, but that doesn't describe me - I would simply stop buying eBooks if I was forced into a walled garden with no DRM removal escape. I already own enough to make it through the rest of my life. I often times wonder why I keep buying more (but I have indeed cut back significantly in recent years).
You best shot at being able to remove DRM is with ePub. Amazon could deliver KFX with unbreakable DRM if you download via the website if you have a Kindle able to handle KFX. You just don't know what Amazon will do. If you don't have a physical Kindle, then you may not be able to to remove the DRM from everything you download.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:16 PM   #29
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon could deliver KFX with unbreakable DRM if you download via the website if you have a Kindle able to handle KFX.
I have a Paperwhite 3, and that's the only Kindle I've ever owned. I download everything from the website via the "Download & transfer via USB". The downloads get liberated just fine, so I assume they're not KFX. I thought I read somewhere that the Paperwhite 3 could handle KFX, but I'm probably wrong about that.

The last book I "bought" from Amazon was the monthly Amazon Prime freebie. That was a few days ago. You buy your one book for $0, but I assume they are DRM'ed just like everything else from Amazon. So my configuration worked fine as of a few days ago.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 12:57 AM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I have a Paperwhite 3, and that's the only Kindle I've ever owned. I download everything from the website via the "Download & transfer via USB". The downloads get liberated just fine, so I assume they're not KFX. I thought I read somewhere that the Paperwhite 3 could handle KFX, but I'm probably wrong about that.
So far the files delivered via "Download & Transfer", no matter for which Kindle, are never KFX. But that could change.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
shop, shops, store, stores