Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you buy an ebook at the same price as the corresponding printed book?
I would even pay more for the ebook! 12 6.90%
Yes. 31 17.82%
No, but I would buy the print book. 11 6.32%
No, I would choose another book to read instead. 22 12.64%
No. But I would consider purchasing the ebook when the price was reduced. 98 56.32%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #211
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
....If an eBook is, say, $5.99, then there is no reason for me to go check the paper book price. If the eBook is $10.99, then I will check the paper book price. I'm talking about entertainment novels here. Technical books are a totally different story.
I think this approach is logical and sensible.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:54 PM   #212
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I went 'Indie' when Baen raised prices.
Why pay more when I can find plenty of decent 'reads' for $4.99 and below?
(OK, some of the editing could be better. BUT... )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2019, 11:35 PM   #213
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I think this approach is logical and sensible.
For you, maybe. But it makes zero sense to me to check the price of a format I have zero intentions of buying. Only the price of the format I'm thinking of buying is relevant. The rest is just distraction and dogma. And I can't read distraction and dogma. Physical books are over for me. The price, the smell, the feel, the heft--I don't care about any part of it. Not even a little bit. If I won't buy it, I'm certainly not going to hold its price up as some imaginary idealistic line in the sand.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-23-2019 at 10:04 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #214
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Given that I mostly look in the kindle store, a lot of the time I don't even see the price of the print book.
I buy from amazon using my Surface or my PC. The only time I notice the price of the paperback is when they show me how much money I am saving buying the eBook using the paperback price as the regular price. I am sorry the difference inn price of the paperback and the eBook is not a savings. That is comparing the price of apples to oranges.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #215
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
In keeping with my previous answer: I am still willing to make my decision on whether to buy an ebook or not without even considering the print book price. The print book price is completely irrelevant to my deliberation. I'm not looking to buy it (print), so it isn't a factor.
This is true for me, also. But I do have an additional wrinkle. While the price of the pbook is irrelevant to my decision whether or not to purchase an ebook, if the ebook is too expensive for me, I do see if I can get the pbook from the library and thus read it for free. I'm willing to pay a highish premium to read a book in digital, but my next best option is paper but only if I can read it for nothing. I do have a stack of library pbooks right now; they're mostly books unavailable in digital but with a couple of exceptions. I suspect it's the need to read some books in paper if I'm to read them at all that keeps me open to the paper option.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #216
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This is true for me, also. But I do have an additional wrinkle. While the price of the pbook is irrelevant to my decision whether or not to purchase an ebook, if the ebook is too expensive for me, I do see if I can get the pbook from the library and thus read it for free. I'm willing to pay a highish premium to read a book in digital, but my next best option is paper but only if I can read it for nothing. I do have a stack of library pbooks right now; they're mostly books unavailable in digital but with a couple of exceptions. I suspect it's the need to read some books in paper if I'm to read them at all that keeps me open to the paper option.
I get that. Once you've decided a particular ebook is too expensive for you (or altogether unavailable), you check and see if the the pbook is available for free at the library. That's not comparing the two prices. That's just going a different direction!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #217
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I get that. Once you've decided a particular ebook is too expensive for you (or altogether unavailable), you check and see if the the pbook is available for free at the library. That's not comparing the two prices. That's just going a different direction!
I guess my TL; DR is that while I (strongly) prefer digital, I'm willing to read paper in a pinch but I'm not willing to pay for it. Which still means the paper price is irrelevant to my decisions.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote