Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
YvonneA
YvonneA began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
[iOS] Cannot connect Calibre Companion with Calibre

Hi There -

OK - I've tried the steps below on my iPhone and iPad with multiple setups but I always get the message Connecting: Starting initial sync, then, shortly afterwards I receive a Disconnected from Calibre message.

For additional information I am currently running Windows 10, Calibre 2.73.0; iPhone is running 10.1.1 and iPad is running 9.3.3.

1. I tried connecting both devices as a Wireless Device. First, within Calibre I selected Connect/Share-->Start Wireless Device Connection. After doing this the dot would turn GREEN indicating that the connection was started. Once the connection was started I then went to both the iPad and the iPhone and selected Connect-->as Wireless Device.....at first I would receive the message Connecting, Starting initial sync; shortly after I would then receive the Disconnected from Calibre message on BOTH devices.

2. I then set the Optional Fixed Port to use as a Fixed Port, selected OK and then went through the process again of starting Calibre as a Wireless Device and then tried to connect the devices once more as Wireless devices. Received the same error message as before - Connected, Starting initial sync; then once again Disconnected from Calibre.

3. I went into the Calibre Companion Settings on BOTH devices and under Wireless Connection I selected IP Address and port. For the IP address I put the exact address that Calibre on my laptop is using along with the same Port number, then selected OK. I went back to the Connect options and selected Connect-->as Wireless Device and still received the errors as before.

I'm frustrated as I'm not sure what could be causing the miscommunication. I'm including a copy of the report that I received in debug mode to see if this is any help.

If anyone can reach out to me with some helpful tips and/or advice I would be greatly appreciative!

calibre Debug log
calibre 2.63 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Loaded cached store plugin for: Nexto at version: 4
Started up in 177.24 seconds with 768 books

Thank you -
Yvonne
Attached Files
File Type: txt CC_iOS_log.txt (36.9 KB, 350 views)

Last edited by YvonneA; 11-26-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Including Calibre Companion Debug File
YvonneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:23 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
First, that calibre debug log isn't complete. According to it neither the content server nor the wireless device are started, which according to the CC debug log isn't true. It might be useful to get a complete log, especially given what I see in the CC debug log.

The CC debug log says that CC can locate calibre and get an IP address, both for the content server and the wireless device, which rules out problems with the WiFi router. However, CC cannot actually connect to either of them. The usual reasons for failing to connect after successfully locating calibre are the firewall and the antivirus SW on the computer running calibre. Paragraph #1 in the FAQ How do I setup Calibre Companion to connect to calibre? discusses how to check the firewall. NB: a complete calibre debug log would almost certainly verify what CC is saying, that during a wireless device connection attempt calibre responds with the IP addresses but does not receive the subsequent connection request.

As mentioned in paragraph #2 of our FAQ, many antivirus packages, sometimes called network security suites or other things, prevent CC from connecting to calibre. We have seen problems with (at least) Norton, ESet, Malwarebytes, and McAfee. We have not seen problems with Windows Defender, called Security Essentials in Windows 7. If you are running an AV program other than Microsoft's then you need to tell it to allow calibre to send and receive information over the network. Exactly how you do that depends on the program.

It is usually possible to verify that the problem is the AV software by starting windows in "safe mode". See paragraph #7 in the above-mentioned FAQ for more details.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
YvonneA
YvonneA began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
Chaley!!!

Thank you VERY much! I wasn't clear on allowing the connection to go through the firewall with McAfee!

All's good now!

Have a great one!!
Yvonne
YvonneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvonneA View Post
Chaley!!!

Thank you VERY much! I wasn't clear on allowing the connection to go through the firewall with McAfee!

All's good now!

Have a great one!!
Yvonne
Glad you got it sorted.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote