Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-12-2022, 01:55 PM   #1
marinheiro
Enthusiast
marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Pocketbook, Kobo Aura, Kobo Elipsa
PDF reading on linux tablet

I usually read my books on an e-reader, but I recently got a load of PDFs to read, and I don't want to read them on a small screen. The ideal solution would be a 10 inch e-paper reader, but I can't afford those.

As an alternative I plan to read the PDFs on a tablet, so I am thinking of getting a tablet just to use as a reader. I am used to Linux and would like to stick with that and avoid getting caught up in either the Google or Apple ecosystems, which does limit my choices.

The best solution I've come up with so far is to put UbuntuTouch on a Lenovo X605F/L tablet (UbuntuTouch only supports a limited number of tablets). It's still a bit pricey as a solution (£177 - I am in the UK).

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks
Graham
marinheiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 03:20 PM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I'd like to see a good solution in this space --- not really seeing anything else at:

https://devices.ubuntu-touch.io/device/d2s/

which seems more promising.

Would just Android be an option? You could pick up a Samsung tablet pretty inexpensively.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2022, 04:27 PM   #3
marinheiro
Enthusiast
marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Pocketbook, Kobo Aura, Kobo Elipsa
@WillAdams wrote:

Quote:
https://devices.ubuntu-touch.io/device/d2s/ .. seems more promising.
But the Galaxy Note has a little 6 in screen again, which leaves me with the original problem - I want a larger screen to read PDFs in comfort.

Accepting an Android tablet would be a lot simpler in some ways but I am trying a way to avoid that.

Graham
marinheiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:02 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinheiro View Post

As an alternative I plan to read the PDFs on a tablet, so I am thinking of getting a tablet just to use as a reader. I am used to Linux and would like to stick with that and avoid getting caught up in either the Google or Apple ecosystems, which does limit my choices.
A secondhand Lenovo X201. I have one running Linux Mint 20.1 I had to manually install the touch/wacom. It converts into a touch tablet with Wacom pen. I've not added the extra script needed to fix orientation of touch & pen when you rotate.

I agree Android is annoying and Apple walled in and expensive. But I have a 10″ Lenovo Yoga Tab (about €240) and nova launcher to avoid evil Google search. 3rd party touch keyboard to avoid evil Google keyboard & voice. Real email via k9email, the default mail gives a Google server the Pop3/Imap & SMTP credentials and is like a terminal to Google. My phone has Signal even for SMS because the default Android Messaging gives Google a copy of all SMS!
Xodo for PDF, Lithium and Pocketbook for ebooks. Alternate non-Google camera and photo gallery.
I disable location, maps etc. I only put on WiFi for Viber, Firefox browser or updates.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote