Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read while under the weather?
Yes 23 50.00%
No 4 8.70%
Sometimes, depends on how sick I am 16 34.78%
I never read to begin with. 0 0%
Zombie squirrels stole my textbook! 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Do you read when you are sick?

I find, like now (sniffle), when I'm sick I lack the ability to focus well enough to read a book. I can stare at a page, and reread the same sentence six times and still not know what it said.

Many people say that during these times they like to curl up with a blanket and a good book. I'm wondering how many others find themselves curled up in front of a TV or computer. Forum posts are shorter, and some could argue you aren't losing much if you don't retain the contents of a thread.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
technically i should have voted for "sometimes, depends on how sick i am" but "zombie squirrels stole my textbook !!" is relevant as well so i chose that one, since this isn't a multi-selection poll.

i read when i'm just a little under the weather, but when i have a cold or whatever that has turned the contents of the space between my ears to cotton wool, i have much the same trouble as you. if i'm *really* sick i just sleep. if i'm not sick enough to sleep but still feeling stupid i watch dvds or sometimes read silly magazines which require no intellectual effort (but rarely, since it would require me going outside to buy them, and when i'm sick i try to avoid that as much as possible).

i hope you feel better soon. drink lots of tea. ginger is good for almost anything. thyme is good for lungs. mint is good for the stomach. lemon and honey is good for the throat. you can also make combinations : ginger, lemon and honey is good for anything.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I read when I'm poorly; but nothing too demanding (Wodehouse is good for keeping the spirits up ).

A cup of honey & lemon, a good book, and poorly enough not to do anything useful - bliss!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I generally read until I pass out, nap voraciously, then repeat.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've uploaded W T Fernie's Herbal Simples a few months ago. Read it and brew yourself a remedy.
Personally, I find that sleeping for a long time is a good idea: then drinking a lot of fluids and trying a bit of light reading.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I fall asleep a lot and roll over my smartphone ... then curse a lot trying to find the page I fell asleep on
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Yes, but usually a book I've already read. I had a couple of comfort books I'd reread whenever I was hospitalized.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I get migraine more than any other illness (though I recently partook of a mild cold - more of a "lukewarm" than a "cold").

Migraine for me rarely encourages reading...or tv watching, or computing, or listening, or even thinking (about anything much more than "I wonder if my Husqvarna SKL350 Trephine - 3.14hp with surgical steel blade and splatter-catcher - would come in handy 'bout now").

So, no, I don't tend to read when sick. Besides, it is so hard to focus on other things when I am dedicating all of my whiny and needy psychological resources to feeling sorry for myself and making others feel sorry for me too.

Cheers,
Marc (Migraine sufferer - I've a sick mind)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
The best thing about being sick is reading. Something trippy, perhaps Science Fiction, then you can doze off and have totally outrageous delirious dreams. I dont do drugs I'm afraid so I have to get my entertainment in other ways.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I will read under pretty much any circumstances in which I am physically capable of doing so, so, this side of an actual coma, yeah.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I will read under pretty much any circumstances in which I am physically capable of doing so, so, this side of an actual coma, yeah.
when he's in an actual coma, he makes his wife read to him.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I would vote, but once again the poll is missing "The blue one, next to the fish." On a serious note, for a change, I actually do suffer from something called "atypical trigeminal neuralgia", which when it hits, is incapacitating, and I echo Marc's comments about trying to read with a migraine. It doesn't work.

But I do remember faking being sick as a kid, so that I could stay home from school and finish a book.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-07-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
when he's in an actual coma, he makes his wife read to him.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #14
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
The best thing about being sick is reading. Something trippy, perhaps Science Fiction, then you can doze off and have totally outrageous delirious dreams. I dont do drugs I'm afraid so I have to get my entertainment in other ways.
I do stupid things, like watching Terry Gilliam films with a fever. I can't tell you if I feel better or worse, but I sure feel different.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Is that like watching Monty Python films while drunk?