Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 AM   #16
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Dullahir - My reference to the cloud was in the context of backing up your library. I wasn't suggesting you should store and use your library from the cloud. You can of course, and many do, but cybmole's caveat kicks in - if the 'net's down then so is your library.

Oh, and my reference to a server - was likewise, as a backup medium, any bog standard file server will do - I use an old Sun box running Solaris.

BR

Oh, I know what you meant. I was referring to saveguarding them on Cloud or a Server for backup purposes in cast of the worst case scenario, I planned to store my books in the Calibre Library program.

And thanks for the info about the server, but I admit, it's a little over my head at the moment, so I'll research it.
Dullahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #17
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullahir View Post
Also, Adoby, lol. xDD yes, I am aware of this, but I have discovered that if you launch a PDF file via the Calibre Library, it will launch the file with Adobe, regardless if it is on your system or not. (The ebook in question was deleted, and stored on a separate network, yet it was stlll launched.)
In Calibre you set under preferences for each file type whether the system defined viewer or the Calibre viewer should be used for each file type. Therefore if the file is using the Adobe reader this is because it is the way you have Calibre configured to handle such files.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You can of course, and many do, but cybmole's caveat kicks in - if the 'net's down then so is your library.
I responded above, but I have yet to run across a cloud sync/storage solution (Dropbox, Copy.com, Skydrive, Sugarsync, Box.com etc...) where I was unable to continue to run just fine locally even if the internet is down.

Of course if you decide to pay for a cloud based virtual server then I imagine you are correct.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote