Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Interesting difference between Kindle and 505 screens

I have had my Sony Reader long enough to have developed a rhythm while reading/turning the page. I hit the button, move my eyes up the screen, and rest them for a smidgen of time while the page finishes refreshing.

I noticed when reading my Kindle that my customary rhythm was not working as well. Took a few minutes to figure out why, but here it is...

The Sony refreshes the screen by paging forward, blinking dark, blinking light. The Kindle refreshes by blinking dark, blinking light, and THEN paging forward.

It is a bit disconcerting because I am accustomed (with the Sony) to seeing the new page immediately (albeit it is blinking) but with the Kindle I do not see it until the screen has finished its refresh.

It is not a huge big deal and I am probably being nit picky but it is a noticeable difference that will take some getting used to...gotta wonder why the difference if the screens are made by the same company...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
They're using different controllers, no? I would imagine this ordering would still be controllable in software, though.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, they are using different screen controllers. That is why the Sony gets 8 shades and the Kindle only 4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
This is probably more the reader application software than the controller though.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Yep. I'm thinking it's more just what order they're choosing to call things in the API than the actual hardware.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

You are probably right, Alisa. I guess I prefer the Sony's method because I must be reading a word or two of the new page while it is still blinking, without even realizing I am doing it.

Wish they were consistent...
Old 12-14-2007, 03:53 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All the eInk readers do screen refreshes in a slightly different "sequence" of blanks and flashes. Must be controlled by the software.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I've apparently adapted to this screen refresh difference and now automatically hit the next page button a second or so before I'm done reading the current page. Rather than reading the first words on the next page "early" as might happen with the Sony redraw sequence, I just read the last words on the old page "late" as the page change is actually happening. The result is that I never feel I have to wait for the display to catch up. Reading is a smooth and continuous process that's not appreciably interrupted by the page turning process. It's certainly less intrusive than turning pages in a paper book.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
Has anyone who is familiar with both machines noticed any difference in contrast or page turning speeds for the two screens? I know the screens are physically the same, but the do the software drivers make any / much of a difference?
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #10
mdibella
Groupie

I would say the time delay is about the same for both.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
ginolee
ginolee began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
screen refreshes for paperback books

You know this got me to thinking about the "screen refresh" rate for paperback books. It usually takes a good second or two to turn the page. The entire "screen" gets all blurry and hard to read during that page turn.

You would think after hundreds of years, they would have improved the page refresh rate on these paperback books. .

Seriously, the Kindle page turning refresh is a non-issue for me. I usually blink or look away for a second, and it probably helps me rest my eyes a bit.

And also, if you think about it, paperback book technology is not too great. After 20-30 years, the paper probably gets all yellowed and discolored from exposure to varying levels of humidity and dust. And personally, I find it a bit annoying to have to keep the pages pressed back during the entire reading process. And if the book is thick, it's awkward to hold for long periods of time.

Hey, in reference to a thread elsewhere on this site about DRM, do you think the publishers would offer to replace yellowed, tattered copies of paperback books with new ones for free? After all, paperback books should last forever, right ?

Gino.
ginolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #12
mdibella
Groupie

I don't really have a problem with the screen refresh either, I am quite used to it. My original point was just that the refresh process on the two readers is different and so being accustomed to one did not mean the other would not be jarring.

At this point I am used to both of them, so it is no problem. 8-)
Old 03-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, they are using different screen controllers. That is why the Sony gets 8 shades and the Kindle only 4.
The Kindle 2 gets 16 shades of grey.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
The Kindle 2 gets 16 shades of grey.

Mike
This thread is from 2007, before Kindle 2.

But interesting, because I never noticed this.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Wow, how did that show up at the top of my list? I didn't notice the thread was so old, I thought it was new since it was at the top of the listings.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote