Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #361
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
So I guess this thread has me thinking what Amazon thinks of having more then one account?
I'm guessing it would take a lot more than two accounts at the same address to raise any eyebrows.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #362
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So I guess this thread has me thinking what Amazon thinks of having more then one account?

I have two accounts. One in Canada & one in the US. Same name, two different mailing addresses & two different credit cards. Neither is doing anything to warrant an Abuse of Policy closure. If I ever decide to sell on Amazon I'll have an account for that too.

I'd wager 99% of the people out there have nothing to be concerned about. They see stuff they want & they buy it. There may be the occassional return but anytime you can say you can't remember how many returns you've made, you've got a problem.

I've bought 100's of items on eBay under various ID's. I got a broken item that was useless - no return but I negged the guy because the item was not as described. I'd have to pay to return & it wasn't worth it.

I ordered item XYZ that was described and shown in the listing & pictures but was sent item ABC. ABC was completely useless to me so I returned it & negged the guy. I don't like giving negatives but if you advertise something ship what you advertise not something close to it!

That's 2 items from 100's bought over 12 years.

I applaud Amazon for booting people that make too many returns. Did the seller describe one thing and send another? That's a bad seller & the return is completely warranted! Is the buyer too picky because there's a ding in the box? Possibly but then know that & go to a store where you can see it in person, pick the exact one you want & not just return things willy nilly. How many times does that happen? I don't think that many. Amazon would know. I'm quite sure they keep statistics on it.
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #363
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I applaud Amazon for booting people that make too many returns. Did the seller describe one thing and send another? That's a bad seller & the return is completely warranted! Is the buyer too picky because there's a ding in the box? Possibly but then know that & go to a store where you can see it in person, pick the exact one you want & not just return things willy nilly. How many times does that happen? I don't think that many. Amazon would know. I'm quite sure they keep statistics on it.
In the last 6 months I've returned a Colby Tablet which had dead pixels and couldn't keep a charge, had my Kindle 4 replace and now my Kindle Fire. All were legitimate needs to return something. Till the Colby Tablet I had never ever return anything in the 10 years of having my account. Now we have a second one I guess I am little worried but he gets his textbooks from it and with the free Prime I've ordered a few non school related items.

The main account is my name but it has the same address and card on it that the student account has. I guess I am just curious because someone mentioned you can't buy something with prime and later sell it. What other nos nos there may be?

Last edited by Blossom; 02-27-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #364
drink_atthe_epub
e-wino
drink_atthe_epub began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
only got to 4/5 of the discussion but i gotta say this

When the issue of amazon removing the books remotely came up, there was only a mention of "Is Amazon up to its old tricks and pulling another 1984? " I believe this was in reference to Amazon (I think 09) without warning removing every copy of Orwell's "1984" (hilarious that it turned out to be that one) and "Animal Farm" from every device they could access.

I was hoping the discussion would go there but soon after that one 1984 comment (5 hours later I just checked) Amazon decided to restore partial access. This was to the surprise of the doubters and supporters.

I know the removal in the 09 case was a copyright protection thing, someone didnt have the rights for them to sell it. That is just as bad in my opinion though, they sold the books and then took them back to protect their own ass, why not just buy the rights to sell the book so there is no breach of my privacy when they use their shady "backdoor" to delete it. Okay they licensed it out not sold but that issue has got to be coming to the courts soon since ToS are not law in themselves,

it may be some paranoia from too much news but I feel like all the big internet/tech companies are always watching and never transparent in their actions. All of them rotten to the core, even google who used to tout their unofficial motto "Don't Be Evil", no question they have crossed that line. e.g. the streetview / wifi monitoring thing
Old 02-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #365
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
I picked up a "repackaged" Kindle Touch at Target for $69 a few weeks ago, so stores can put them back on the floor, and people do buy them.
And that cost someone $30 off the retail price, plus the cost of recertifying the unit, plus the cost of repackaging.

There is no legit reason to return an open item other than defective.
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #366
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm guessing it would take a lot more than two accounts at the same address to raise any eyebrows.
We have four accounts. I didn't even think about it when we all got Kindles for Christmas, I just set up everyone with their own separate account.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #367
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
What's the alternative to buying and returning? Surely you don't recommend using the overhead and customer services resources of brick and mortar store to do your comparison shopping, when you plan to buy online at Amazon? That would be just as big an abuse of the B&M store.
The alternative is buying from a B&M store. That's what I recently started doing again after a return dispute with Amazon.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #368
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't see how that can be when the retailer themselves has advised me to do just that.

Doing it routinely, as your normal shopping model would be abuse, but doing it occasionally, when it's the best shopping model for the particular item, is not abuse. It's use. It's abuse of my patronage for a company to offer me a service then punish me for availing myself of it.
Totally agree with you
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #369
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
There is no legit reason to return an open item other than defective.
You're welcome to hold that opinion, wrong though it may be, and it's likely you'll never run a successful mail-order retail business.

If the real retailers, who have calculated the costs, felt this way, then that would be their policy.

Given an alternative, few people would choose to buy sight unseen without the security of knowing they could return it if they are dissatisfied.

As I said, like the all-you-can-eat buffet, there are reasonable limits and reasons to call and halt abuse. But some of you seem to think that any use is abuse.

(BTW, my experience with buying knowing I was going to return something was regarding car infrared headphones. There is no local source and no way to test them ahead of time. At first I ordered one pair at a time based on customer reviews, from Amazon, and returned them when they proved uncomfortable or noisy. This got tiresome, so I called a car audio specialty house, and the salesman (they had a small staff...don't know if he was a principal, but was certainly not a peon....) suggested I order the three models he recommended and return the two I didn't like. Apparently one return of several items is preferable to several returns of one item.)

Last edited by ApK; 02-28-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #370
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
We have four accounts. I didn't even think about it when we all got Kindles for Christmas, I just set up everyone with their own separate account.

My wife and I have had separate accounts for years. Never had a problem, often shared our occasional free Prime trials (using Amazons's official sharing mechanism), and Amazon is clever enough not to credit me if she occasionally buys something through one of my affiliate links.
Amazon also recommends separate accounts for kids with Fires as one way to control purchases.

But listening to a few of you about the return policy, I bet you think it would be acceptable for them to recommend several accounts, then ban you and lock you out from your content when you take their advice....

Last edited by ApK; 02-28-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #371
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The alternative is buying from a B&M store. That's what I recently started doing again after a return dispute with Amazon.
Of course, though if everyone did that, Amazon would go out of business, and I can't believe that's the result Amazon is looking for with their policymaking.
This was all in the context of 'being a good Amazon customer.'
Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #372
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Of course, though if everyone did that, Amazon would go out of business, and I can't believe that's the result Amazon is looking for with their policymaking.
This was all in the context of 'being a good Amazon customer.'
So true; but then, losing a Prime customer is also something I don't think they planned on.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #373
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I have [had] multiple accounts on Amazon. This is because I buy stuff there so infrequently that by the time I buy something new, I not only have a new credit card, email, and computer, I generally have a new street address as well.

Only the name remains the same. Even that is subject to change as soon as the feds get too close ...
Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #374
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
I have [had] multiple accounts on Amazon. This is because I buy stuff there so infrequently that by the time I buy something new, I not only have a new credit card, email, and computer, I generally have a new street address as well.

Only the name remains the same. Even that is subject to change as soon as the feds get too close ...
Rob, we've been looking for you. Don't move, we'll be right there....
Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #375
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw93 View Post
I just noticed that the Consumerist actually published my story! Here is the link:

http://consumerist.com/2012/02/amazo...n-origins.html
Haha. That'll help keep Amazon on it's toes. I want to change my name to "Mysterious Amazon Account Specialist"
Closed Thread