Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #751
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem I have is while I've found different reading orders and yes I could go with one of them, they don't include the shorts. So if someone has a reading order that includes the shorts even if it's a date published order, please post it or a link to it. Thanks.
The authors release short fiction frequently, and the pieces jump around in time. So any list would quickly be out of date.

However the story line unfolds through the novels. It might sound like you’d be missing something without the short stories, but you wouldn’t be. None of the novels depend upon the short stories. They don’t advance the plot. They are peripheral to the story.

The short stories are an avenue to provide the authors with some income between novels. I really enjoy them, but could have easily read the full series without a single short story.

Last edited by Victoria; 03-23-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #752
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Agree completely. Love the shorter works, but they're just icing. The mainline is the novels.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2021, 08:39 AM   #753
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Got Agent of Change as it's free on play books, it's ok but hasn't hooked me.
How does it compare to others in the series and are they what I call TV series book, can skip a book or 2 and still not really be lost in the series.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #754
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
Got Agent of Change as it's free on play books, it's ok but hasn't hooked me. [...]
I had much the same reaction when I read it. Good but not hooked enough to rush out for any more ... and despite planning to try more I still haven't. So I will be interest to hear how you get on if/when you try others.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #755
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
Got Agent of Change as it's free on play books, it's ok but hasn't hooked me.
How does it compare to others in the series and are they what I call TV series book, can skip a book or 2 and still not really be lost in the series.
I can easily see why it wouldn’t grab you. You can definitely start somewhere else in the timeline. I did, and didn’t miss a beat.

I don’t think Agent of Change as a good starting point, because it was the first book they’d written, and the authors hadn’t developed their sea legs yet. So I find it a bit too slapstick and over the top. It’s not a good reflection of who the characters really are. And I don’t think the style of the first book reflects the authors’ later writing.

I don’t mean to dis the book. It can be a fun, campy read later, once the characters and Liaden customs are better established. But to me, it’s like the difference between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. The depth and development aren’t there yet, so the first isn’t a good predictor of the other.
Advert
Old 03-24-2021, 02:11 PM   #756
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In several ways, I find Conflict of Honors or Balance of Trade to be better starting points. Though I admit to having started (back in the 80s) with Agent of Change. And become quite annoyed when I stopped being able to find their books after the first three. But then, I'm a sucker for kickass women (Miri), and really liked the Turtles.

It's sort of how I feel about Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak series -- I always start folks on #7 in the series, Breakup. If they like it, they can circle back to the beginning, and by the time they finish #6, they'll have a re-read of Breakup to look forward to. (Which, by the way, I'm re-reading right now, it being spring and all. )

Last edited by CRussel; 03-24-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:24 PM   #757
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
In several ways, I find Conflict of Honors or Balance of Trade to be better starting points. Though I admit to having started (back in the 80s) with Agent of Change. And become quite annoyed when I stopped being able to find their books after the first three. But then, I'm a sucker for kickass women (Miri), and really liked the Turtles.

It's sort of how I feel about Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak series -- I always start folks on #7 in the series, Breakup. If they like it, they can circle back to the beginning, and by the time they finish #6, they'll have a re-read of Breakup to look forward to. (Which, by the way, I'm re-reading right now, it being spring and all. )
Oh cool; you were one of the originals! That’s quite a badge of honour . We owe you big time for lobbying the series into resurrection. No question though, Miri’s a kickass and the Turtles are wonderful.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:29 PM   #758
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I can easily see why it wouldn’t grab you. You can definitely start somewhere else in the timeline. I did, and didn’t miss a beat.

I don’t think Agent of Change as a good starting point, because it was the first book they’d written, and the authors hadn’t developed their sea legs yet. So I find it a bit too slapstick and over the top. It’s not a good reflection of who the characters really are. And I don’t think the style of the first book reflects the authors’ later writing.

I don’t mean to dis the book. It can be a fun, campy read later, once the characters and Liaden customs are better established.
Quote:
I think many, if not most, series are best tried in a book that’s not the first. Obviously not a trilogy or something of that sort, where (you hope) there’s a definite story arc, but in ongoing series where the basics don’t change much from book to book as each book has a self-contained plot. The odd spoiler is usually not that significant and better that than to give up on a poor start when it’s it’s a series you’d like.

In fact, I think scrupulous adherence to series order has been enabled only by the digital age. Back in the paper day, you pretty much had to go with what you could obtain, whether because you were limited to library holdings or what was on a bookstore shelf, or even by what was still in print. The number of mystery series I started in the middle would make your head spin if that kind of thing mattered to you.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #759
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Oh cool; you were one of the originals! That’s quite a badge of honour . We owe you big time for lobbying the series into resurrection. No question though, Miri’s a kickass and the Turtles are wonderful.
The Turtles are the ultimate Deus Ex Machina. You just know when they show up that things are about to get very interesting.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:27 PM   #760
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I started with Conflict of Honors, and that was a good starting point. One of the protagonists is of Terran culture (a culture that's pretty familiar), and it helps in getting information about the weirder Liaden culture in bitesized pieces.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #761
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think many, if not most, series are best tried in a book that’s not the first. Obviously not a trilogy or something of that sort, where (you hope) there’s a definite story arc, but in ongoing series where the basics don’t change much from book to book as each book has a self-contained plot. The odd spoiler is usually not that significant and better that than to give up on a poor start when it’s it’s a series you’d like.
I agree, it’s often a better experience, and a better test of whether you’ll enjoy the books. It can also be quite interesting to read the first book(s) later, after a series has been well established. When you see how the author has developed their early ideas, you see their maturation along with their characters and storytelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
In fact, I think scrupulous adherence to series order has been enabled only by the digital age. Back in the paper day, you pretty much had to go with what you could obtain, whether because you were limited to library holdings or what was on a bookstore shelf, or even by what was still in print. The number of mystery series I started in the middle would make your head spin if that kind of thing mattered to you.
I hadn’t thought of that, but it’s absolutely true. I never let something being out of sequence stop me from reading it. It was just the way things were. If necessary, you could ask someone to fill in missing pieces.

Remember the all the yearnings that came with knowing your favourite authors had earlier, unobtainable books? It seemed like a miracle the first time my local bookstore offered to go on “the internet”, to search for a copy of an out-of-print book that I longed for. I still have the two second hand books he ordered all the way from New York for me, completely unthinkable a few years before.

Quote:
The Turtles are the ultimate Deus Ex Machina. You just know when they show up that things are about to get very interesting.
Yes! Speaking objectively, I often think Lee and Miller are guilty of frequent Deus Ex Machina problem solving, a trait that usually bothers me. But in their case, I always forgive them, because it’s usually just so satisfying .
Old 03-24-2021, 04:12 PM   #762
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I started with Conflict of Honors, and that was a good starting point. One of the protagonists is of Terran culture (a culture that's pretty familiar), and it helps in getting information about the weirder Liaden culture in bitesized pieces.
Me too. It’s amazing how many of the weirder aspects you can swallow once you’re hooked.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:41 AM   #763
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Traders Leap is now available at Audible.com.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:53 PM   #764
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Yes, thank you. Meant to post that myself.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:50 PM   #765
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Quote:
Yes, thank you. Meant to post that myself.
And I've started a re-read using the Audible version. Looking forward to it.