Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Question Library Books and SD Cards

I have successfully borrowed books from my local library, loaded them directly onto my 650 via the Sony software, and have read them with no problems.

I have been able to load books I own directly to a formatted SD card, load the card into my reader, again with no problems.

Where I have issue is when trying to read a borrowed library book from an SD card. I am loading the borrowed books directly to the SD card via a card reader. When I install the SD card the borrowed titles appear but they will not open, giving me a DRM error message.

Is this standard with borrowed books or have I missed something? The card is formatted properly, the software recognizes the card, and I always properly eject the card before removing it.

David
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Try loading your books to the SD card with it installed in the reader using the Sony/overdrive software...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
cko1x
cko1x doesn't littercko1x doesn't litter

Device: Sony Daily Reader PRS950
Loading to SD card

I have had a similar problem but with PDF ebooks. See my post on this forum called 'PDF/DRM wierd stuff...' of a week or so ago. You don't specify whether your downloaded books are ePub or PDF but if they are PDF I think you have to load them to the reader memory with the Sony Reader software to have them be recognized by the device. At least that seems to be my problem. I now load PDF ebooks to both the main memory using the Sony Reader software and to the SDMC and then delete the copy in the reader's memory leaving only the SDMC copy. This procedure seems to work. For ePubs, I use Calibre and they seem to load wherever the first time. Go figure.
cko1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I was afraid I had missed some type of formatting step somewhere along the way.

I was trying to avoid connecting my reader until it needed a charge as it is still new and the battery isn't fully conditioned but, as there is no way around it, that is what I will have to do.

David
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
DRM'd books must be loaded either through Sony Reader or Adobe Digital Editions. I've tried loading them through Calibre and it looks like they are there, but then i can't open them.

Also, the kind of batteries these readers have now do not need to be fully discharged; in fact, I've read that doing so is harmful. (I don't know the technical jargon about it but you can search these forums and find the answers; I've read it here multiple places) so don't be afraid to connect to PC.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Yes, the limit on the number of cycles of lithium batteries is based on the number of full charges (from fully discharged to fully charged). Partial charges count as partial cycles.

No need to condition these batteries. And they do not need to be cycled, as they do not have any memory effects.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote