Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-19-2018, 04:22 AM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You might like the newer Nooks. Have you spent any time with a Glowlight 3?
Just looked at one at the store for a few minutes. I think I'm pretty well set up for now. And I'm actually starting to get rid of some of my excess eReaders. But down the line I expect I might end up with a Glowlight Plus or 3. I'm getting used to front-lighting now, the disadvantage of the Glowlight is that I don't think I can add my own fonts (which makes a big difference for me). Maybe there is already a good dark font on the Glowlights.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-19-2018 at 04:26 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:24 AM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driph View Post
Careful with Woot "refurbished" Kindles. I bought a Voyage last month and they shipped me a Paperwhite. Shipped that back and received a Voyage with multiple pinholes throughout the bottom portion of the screen.

Dealing with customer service now for round three, but at this point I'm about to call it a loss and write off Woot for this sort of purchase.
I understand your frustration, but make them provide a good working Voyage. If they can't come up with a good refurbished one, have them provide one of the new ones Woot is still selling.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Just looked at one at the store for a few minutes. I think I'm pretty well set up for now. And I'm actually starting to get rid of some of my excess eReaders.
Yeah. I need to talk to you about that. But outside of work I've been wrapped up in holiday shenanigans. Sorry!

Quote:
But down the line I expect I might end up with a Glowlight Plus or 3. I'm getting used to front-lighting now, the disadvantage of the Glowlight is that I don't think I can add my own fonts (which makes a big difference for me). Maybe there is already a good dark font on the Glowlights.
I have a Plus and a 3 and the 3 looks better than the Plus. Since they share the same generation screen, I guess it's the difference between the Plus's flush, capacitive screen and the 3's IR screen.

To me, they both look good and I'll take the minor hit in contrast for the waterproofing of the Plus. But for someone sensitive like you, you're probably better with a 3.

I think the fonts on the 3 are plenty dark. I believe the default font is Georgia and it looks good to me. But again, I'm not particularly sensitive, so don't let me oversell it. The Glowlight 3 uses a current generation high DPI screen that is IR instead of capacitive, so it's likely as good a post frontlight screen as you are going to find.

The Tolino review made the software look very similar to the Nook software, with one benefit of the Nook being that the store is in English.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Careful with Woot "refurbished" Kindles. I bought a Voyage last month and they shipped me a Paperwhite. Shipped that back and received a Voyage with multiple pinholes throughout the bottom portion of the screen.

Dealing with customer service now for round three, but at this point I'm about to call it a loss and write off Woot for this sort of purchase.
Woot is owned by Amazon. Don't settle if they goof up again. Make them make it right. It's not like they can't get their hands on the stock. If there's no viable refurb Voyage, maybe they'll send you a new one.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #20
driph
driph began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
I understand your frustration, but make them provide a good working Voyage. If they can't come up with a good refurbished one, have them provide one of the new ones Woot is still selling.
Quote:
Woot is owned by Amazon. Don't settle if they goof up again. Make them make it right. It's not like they can't get their hands on the stock. If there's no viable refurb Voyage, maybe they'll send you a new one.
That's the route I went, replacement is on its way. Too bad the first replacement Voyage has such an awful screen, as it's a 3G model. We'll see what round three brings along!
driph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
That's the route I went, replacement is on its way. Too bad the first replacement Voyage has such an awful screen, as it's a 3G model. We'll see what round three brings along!
I'm hoping the third time is the charm. It does make me re-think buying refurbished stuff from Woot because, even though it's owned by Amazon, it's still not "Amazon."
Old 12-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Yeah. I need to talk to you about that. But outside of work I've been wrapped up in holiday shenanigans. Sorry!
Zero worries. I was actually talking about another, unrelated, batch.

Quote:
I have a Plus and a 3 and the 3 looks better than the Plus. Since they share the same generation screen, I guess it's the difference between the Plus's flush, capacitive screen and the 3's IR screen.

To me, they both look good and I'll take the minor hit in contrast for the waterproofing of the Plus. But for someone sensitive like you, you're probably better with a 3.

I think the fonts on the 3 are plenty dark. I believe the default font is Georgia and it looks good to me. But again, I'm not particularly sensitive, so don't let me oversell it. The Glowlight 3 uses a current generation high DPI screen that is IR instead of capacitive, so it's likely as good a post frontlight screen as you are going to find.

The Tolino review made the software look very similar to the Nook software, with one benefit of the Nook being that the store is in English.
I've kind of had the chance to compare (indirectly) the differences between the Plus and 3. As mentioned, I now own a Vision 2 (which I like with my dark fonts) and my brother ordered one. But he got a Shine 2HD instead (even though it was labeled as a Vision 2). Although the capacitive, flush-screened Vision 2 is good (and it's not quite a fair comparison because it's 212 ppi instead of 300) it's not as "crisp" as the infrared Shine 2HD. On the Shine I had no trouble with the built-in fonts. I think it had more to do with the flush screen than the resolution. So it sounds a lot like comparing the Plus and 3. And I do like the idea of Page Turn buttons. Sometime, probably, no hurry though.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #23
driph
driph began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
I'm hoping the third time is the charm. It does make me re-think buying refurbished stuff from Woot because, even though it's owned by Amazon, it's still not "Amazon."
Third Voyage arrived, and looks like this one is the keeper. The shell of the Voyage is a little beat up (as expected from the listing), but the screen has no gradient issues and no pinholes. Also ended up being another 3G model, which was a nice surprise.
driph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:24 AM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Third Voyage arrived, and looks like this one is the keeper. The shell of the Voyage is a little beat up (as expected from the listing), but the screen has no gradient issues and no pinholes. Also ended up being another 3G model, which was a nice surprise.
Happy it worked out. I was hoping it would.