Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
ebookrights1
Banned
ebookrights1 doesn't litterebookrights1 doesn't litter

Device: none
Independent Online Personal Book Library...?

Is there such things? I mean something that allows me to...

- Buy ebooks from any vendor, be it Kindle, Kobo, B&N...
- Upload the ebooks to the service
- The service provides apps for major platforms (e.g. Windows, Mac, iOS, Android...) for reading
- Reading positions and highlights and notes are automatically synced to the service and across other devices I have
- For a reasonable fee, of course

I know Calibre is out there, but I also want something that syncs automatically, and storing all the ebooks on my own HDD is good until the HDD is crashed, so I need to invest in a backup strategy as well.
ebookrights1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not aware of any such online reading apps, but the storage part of it can easily be achieved with a service such as DropBox, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'd be inclined to keep my reading and backup software separate, to avoid the Swiss Army Knife effect. Dropbox works quite well (here's my referral link, if you want some extra space) for backups, but I tend to like doing my own offsite backups, otherwise known as burning my books to DVD and throwing it in a desk drawer somewhere. Since I just load my books on my Sony Reader, access isn't much of an issue. However, you might want to look into whether the calibre server can meet at least some of your needs.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'd suggest Carbonite along with Dropbox because you'll lose more than just your ebooks if your hard drive crashes.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote