Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
jkaram1
jkaram1 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Vanishing Tools Menu?

I'm a new user of Sigil, and I've searched this forum for an answer to this question and didn't see any posts about it, so hopefully I'm not duplicating something that's already been posted.

I'm running Sigil 0.5.3 with loaded Qt 4.7.4, on a couple of machines using Windows 7 (one is Ultimate, one is Home Premium). Before diving in I decided to read the User's Guide and work through some of the things I wanted to accomplish. One of the first things I noticed was that the graphic of the main user interface [http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...book_view.png] shows a Tools menu, which my instance of Sigil doesn't seem to have.

Combine that with the fact that the manual says: "To add and edit that special information like the Table of Contents and the metadata, Sigil presents you with purpose-built editors. You can access them through the Tools menu," and you can see what my question is. Where is my Tools menu?

Thanks in advance!

Jay Karamales
A-T Solutions
Boise, ID
jkaram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The User's Guide is, quite simply, out of sync with the latest Sigil versions.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
jkaram1
jkaram1 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Thanks Diap. Normally I would say a slightly out-of-date guide is not a big deal, especially with an application as apparently simple and easy to use as Sigil. In this case, though, it seems to be a pretty big stumbling block. Any idea where the functionality that used to be under the Tools menu was moved to?

Thanks,
Jay
jkaram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Yes, that's putting it mildly

Its the old conundrum of code or documentation... A full overhaul is on my list for the next version, but time will tell. I'd like to merge in all the separate wiki pages into the documentation, and review/update all the details. Its probably more confusing having wrong documentation than no documentation at this point...
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Any idea where the functionality that used to be under the Tools menu was moved to?
I don't recall exactly what all was there to tell the the truth. The Table of Contents Generator is a button found on the Table of Contents widget (but it won't look or behave like it does in the User's Guide either). The Metadata editor can be accessed under the "Edit" menu. Most of the features also have Keyboard shortcuts that can be found/configured using Edit->Preferences->Keyboard shortcuts.

There really is no TOC "editor" anymore. The ToC is generated from headings in the document (and that behavior can be tweaked a bit) and/or editing the toc.ncx file manually.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote