Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
EkkoJohnny
EkkoJohnny began at the beginning.

Device: none
Embedding fonts - so confused

The fonts are entered in the browser and the codes are showing up in code view. I know the fonts work because they show up on ADE, in an earlier edition of the same book.

I'm reading the posts and watching every tube video I can find. I also notice that the videos show a different toolbar than the one I have for Sigel.

I researched to make sure I have the latest version, and it seems as though I do.

Is it possible I have a bad download? I just got a mac mini so I could do this, but man am I pulling my hair out.

Your help is most, and I mean MOST appreciated.

ej

sorry...yes, I'm reading the Sigil help guide.

Last edited by EkkoJohnny; 03-21-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: respect
EkkoJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by EkkoJohnny View Post
The fonts are entered in the browser and the codes are showing up in code view. I know the fonts work because they show up on ADE, in an earlier edition of the same book.

I'm reading the posts and watching every tube video I can find. I also notice that the videos show a different toolbar than the one I have for Sigel.

I researched to make sure I have the latest version, and it seems as though I do.

Is it possible I have a bad download? I just got a mac mini so I could do this, but man am I pulling my hair out.

Your help is most, and I mean MOST appreciated.
I guess, Sigil won't cause the problem, it's probably something else.

The toolbars are customizable, I'm shure, mine look quite different than yours.

Bad download: epub is actually a zip file with CRC checksums. Applications should return an error if something is not quite right with the archive. (I never tried though).

Can you post some code-snippets (where Fonts are used and the css) ?

Can you replace the font-file in the newer Version of the book with the one of the older version ??
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
EkkoJohnny

Hi, thanks for the reply. I didn't think a bad download was possible, but that's why I asked. I tried the pasting of the font file, as well as a few codes. That's a no go.

This one is for Marker Felt font. (mtfw) Saves ok in the html, it's entered in the font content, looks great in book view, but doesn't make it to the reader. (comes out Times font or something else)

again, THANKS

<p>-family;mtfw.ttc&gt;Reviews</p>

Last edited by EkkoJohnny; 03-21-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: sorry...mafw is font id
Old 03-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
... but doesn't make it to the reader.
Sigil forgives most of minor errors. If things work in Sigil, there's no guaranty that they work on readers as well. Btw. whats your reader ? Some software on the Mac ??

Quote:
<p>-family;mtfw.ttc&gt;Reviews</p>
Whats this ?

Maybe the thread "Damnable Symbols" here in Sigil-Forum is interesting for you
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
EkkoJohnny

Reading in Adobe Digital. Never had any issues with it. Crazy to let that font hold me back, but I don't want to settle because of a glitch. I'll get through this...lol.

Hey, I appreciate your attention and time. I think I need to walk away from this for a while. I'll check out the thread you sent. (It's something right in front of my face and I'm just not seeing it.)

thanks pal,

ej
Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Well, I use fonts sometimes in my ePUB and I am also on ADE. No problems, so I think there must be another problem.
Don't forget. Almost everything is case sensitive. Also, some fonts just don't work in the latest version of ADE, the exact cause is unknown. I haven't encountered one, but several on the forum have.

We can try to help you. Please display the relevant parts of the stylesheet. Also, just to be sure, you did add the font to the ePUB right?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
EkkoJohnny

Hi Toxaris, thanks for the reply. I apologize for not replying sooner. I spent a few days studying a DL of Unruly Guides. It helped a lot, but it's pretty much a template. I found a few glitches when I went to make my own book. It helped me understand all of this though, well worth the effort. I've done basic html, but I'm not a pro.

Excuse me for sounding ignorant, but when you ask if I added the fonts to the epub, are you talking about entering the fonts in the Style sheet? I did do that. I also entered the fonts in the FONTs folder, at the book browser left section.

The Style section is named, Style0001.css In the error message, Sigil reads: OEPBS/Styles/Style0001.css --This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it is not reachable. (It's unused)
The same error message applies to all the fonts and one image.

I found the 'cap -no cap' errors, but I don't understand this error. I'm thinking I should just remove the fonts from the font folder?? Is that overkill?

Style sample you requested. Seems there are two code entries for each font.

1)
@font-face
{font-family:"Marker Felt";
panose-1:2 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;
mso-font-charset:0;
mso-generic-font-family:auto;
mso-font-pitch:variable;
mso-font-signature:-2147483549 64 0 0 273 0;}

2)
<p class=MsoNormal><span class=GramE><b style='mso-bidi-font-weight:normal'><span
style='font-size:24.0pt;font-family:"Marker Felt"'>the</span></b></span><b
style='mso-bidi-font-weight:normal'><span style='font-size:24.0pt;font-family:
"Marker Felt"'><o></o></span></b></p>

I hope I haven't blundered your request. I so much appreciate your time.

ej
Old 03-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There is no src called out, telling it to use an embedded font

Here is a typical entry without all the mso crap (that probbly is meaningless to many devices)

Code:
@font-face {
font-family: "Charis";
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src:url(../Fonts/CharisSILR.ttf);    <<< this is your NORMAL font use
}
If you use Bold, you need a second @ font for the Bold weight and bold Font file
Have a Italic use, another @font and font file

Have bold Italic use? you guessed it, another set
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
EkkoJohnny

I agree. It does seem to be a lot of code.
I entered one code for each font (bold, ital, normal)...as well as a code for each font size. Was that unnecessary?

and thank you...

Last edited by EkkoJohnny; 03-27-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: for got to thank someone
Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
The Style section is named, Style0001.css In the error message, Sigil reads: OEPBS/Styles/Style0001.css --This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it is not reachable. (It's unused)
AFAIK, this means that you forgot to link the .css in the .html files. I.e. you most lilkely forgot to include the following line:
PHP Code:
<link href="../Styles/Style0001.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /> 
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
EkkoJohnny

Thanks Doitsu

so I go into EACH section (book browser on the left) and paste that line? Bottom ok?

I'm sorry to seem like a pain, and I'm searching all the blogs and google for answers. Your help is much appreciated.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Thanks Doitsu

so I go into EACH section (book browser on the left) and paste that line? Bottom ok?
No, it needs to be in the <head> section of the HTML header. E.g.:

PHP Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<
head>
  <
title></title>
  <
link href="../Styles/Style0001.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</
head>
<