Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
DrScotter
I'm a Llama!
DrScotter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Kobo Library Software Won't Sync with Sony PRS-650

I'm sure that this has been covered before but I couldn't find an appropriate thread through the forum search function. If this has been asked a million times before then perhaps someone could just give me a link to an older thread where this has been covered.

I'm fairly new to the forum having received a Sony PRS-650 as an early Xmas present from my wife. I've since learned to download books from the Sony Store and Borders to my Sony. I've also learned to update a new laptop (also an Xmas gift from my wife) to accept my purchases by authorizing it through ADE as well as download Calibre.

Today, I opened a Kobo account to download some free books to the Kobo library software. I'd like to transfer these books to my Sony Reader but the Kobo library software refuses to "sync" with my Sony. What am I doing wrong here?

I've also tried importing the Kobo library books into Calibre but I can't seem to find them on the hard drive. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
DrScotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Kobo books are opened in ADE, and then transferred to Sony from there. You need use neither Kobo nor Sony software.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
i think kobo software is just for the kobo or computer and not compatible with other readers.
As said above ADE then transfered to sony
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
DrScotter
I'm a Llama!

OK, I pulled up my Adobe Digital Editions Library Software to see that it is completely empty.

After opening an account at Kobo books yesterday I went to download one of the free ebooks. The download process was very different from Borders and Sony and required me to download the kobo library software which shows the book on the library bookshelf along with five other free classics. By the way, I don't use the free borders library software either and now just download those books to the Sony Library Software. I just want to find a way to download some of the free kobo books onto my Sony Reader.

My guess is that this is something in a FAQ somewhere around here but I can't seem to find that either.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrScotter View Post
OK, I pulled up my Adobe Digital Editions Library Software to see that it is completely empty.

After opening an account at Kobo books yesterday I went to download one of the free ebooks. The download process was very different from Borders and Sony and required me to download the kobo library software which shows the book on the library bookshelf along with five other free classics. By the way, I don't use the free borders library software either and now just download those books to the Sony Library Software. I just want to find a way to download some of the free kobo books onto my Sony Reader.

My guess is that this is something in a FAQ somewhere around here but I can't seem to find that either.
I've purchased a few books with DRM at Kobo, and had never even heard of Kobo software, let alone
used it, until this thread.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
DrScotter
I'm a Llama!

Awesome! Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong then? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Find the actual the Kobo book on your hard drive, right click it, and tell the computer to open it with ADE.

By the way, rather than "sync'ing", it might be easier to just drag the book(s) from the ADE central listing of items and drop them where it says "reader" in the left-handed list. You should see a rotating circle to confirm a transfer request in progress.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
I have a vague memory that Kobo are planning to support other readers with their desktop app. Am I dreaming or did someone from Kobo really say this?
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
DrScotter
I'm a Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Find the actual the Kobo book on your hard drive, right click it, and tell the computer to open it with ADE.
That seems to be the problem. I can't find it on my hard drive. When using the computers harddrive "search" function I can find all of the books I've purchased simply by typing in "ADE." The free ebook from Kobo (Don Quixote) and the free googlebook downloaded to my Sony Reader Library Software is not listed in the results of the search.

Quote:
By the way, rather than "sync'ing", it might be easier to just drag the book(s) from the ADE central listing of items and drop them where it says "reader" in the left-handed list. You should see a rotating circle to confirm a transfer request in progress.
Right, just like Itunes. I don't sync my ipod either as my Itunes library is larger than any ipod can hold. I simply used the word "sync" as that was what the Kobo Library Software tells you to do. "Drag and Drop" does not work the same way in the Kobo Library Software. I've since deleted the Kobo Library Software but would still like to figure out how to download the free ebooks from Kobo to my Sony Reader.

I hope that clarifies things a bit. I'm still finding my way around all of this while trying to become more self sufficient with computers in general. My wife, who is quite good with computers, has been dumbfounded by all of this so far. Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, DrScotter. The Kobo desktop software is for viewing books on your computer. You don't need it. It sounds like from your posts that you are using the Sony Reader Library software to manage your ebook library. The process for using Kobo books is similar to the process for using Borders books.

Go to the Kobo website and sign in to your account. It should bring you to your Library page. If you are already signed in, then you can click the link "Library" to the right of the search box at the top of the page. In your Library, you will see a list of the books that you have purchased. There should be a box next to the book that says "Adobe DRM EPUB". Click on that box. On my Mac, clicking on the box downloads an ACSM file. On a PC, it might prompt you to download the file or open it. Once you have downloaded the ACSM file to your computer hard-drive, then right-click on it and select "Open With > Reader Library". That action will launch the Sony software and import the book into your Sony library just like with the purchased Borders books.

Note: If you don't see the box "Adobe DRM EPUB" on the Library page of the Kobo website, and instead you see a blank area, then it is possible that you may have purchased a book that doesn't come in EPUB format. It is rare but does happen. Before you purchase a book, you should check its info page to make sure it says "Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB". I learned this tip the hard way!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
ShaneR
Enthusiast
ShaneR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650; PW2
DrScotter,

When you download form Kobo, the file will come down as a .acsm file (usually named URLLink.acsm). This is like a "certificate" to download, not the book itself.

Right click on the. acsm file and select open with Adobe Digital editions. After downloaded and opened, you can than drag and drop it to your device (if connected).

Kobo's website keeps track of what you've added to your library and you're able to redownload at will...so, give it another shot.

EDIT: Whoops...beaten to it.
ShaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Dr S:

This situation is a perfect illustration of why I've gotten my non-techie parents a Kindle 3 for a belated holiday gift! All I expect them to "get" is how to purchase, download via G3, open and read. Period.

Have you tried searching your drive under "Quixote" rather than "ADE"?

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 01-09-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneR View Post
DrScotter,

When you download form Kobo, the file will come down as a .acsm file (usually named URLLink.acsm). This is like a "certificate" to download, not the book itself.

Right click on the. acsm file and select open with Adobe Digital editions. After downloaded and opened, you can than drag and drop it to your device (if connected).

Kobo's website keeps track of what you've added to your library and you're able to redownload at will...so, give it another shot.

EDIT: Whoops...beaten to it.
ShaneR has a good point. When you right-click, you probably will have two options. You can open the ACSM file either with Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) or Sony Reader Library software. Some people don't like the Sony software and prefer to use ADE software to manage their book collection. Since it sounds like you are already using the Sony software, then I recommend to stick with that while you are still getting familiarized with how ereaders and ebooks work.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #14
DrScotter
I'm a Llama!

Quote:
Dr S:

This situation is a perfect illustration of why I've gotten my non-techie parents a Kindle 3 for a belated holiday gift! All I expect them to "get" is how to purchase, download via G3, open and read. Period.
Yeah, that's why we gifted a Kindle3 to each of our mothers.

Quote:
Dr S:Have you tried searching your drive under "Quixote" rather than "ADE"?
I'll try that and some of the other responses suggested so far. Wow, y'all are so quick to help!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
DrScotter
I'm a Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Hi, DrScotter. The Kobo desktop software is for viewing books on your computer. You don't need it. It sounds like from your posts that you are using the Sony Reader Library software to manage your ebook library.
Exactly! A perfect illustration of the correct understanding of the situation.

Quote:
The process for using Kobo books is similar to the process for using Borders books.

Go to the Kobo website and sign in to your account. It should bring you to your Library page. If you are already signed in, then you can click the link "Library" to the right of the search box at the top of the page. In your Library, you will see a list of the books that you have purchased. There should be a box next to the book that says "Adobe DRM EPUB". Click on that box. On my Mac, clicking on the box downloads an ACSM file. On a PC, it might prompt you to download the file or open it. Once you have downloaded the ACSM file to your computer hard-drive, then right-click on it and select "Open With > Reader Library". That action will launch the Sony software and import the book into your Sony library just like with the purchased Borders books.
OK, now we're getting somewhere. I did find the "Library" link after signing into my Kobo account. This is very similar to getting ebooks from Borders. Under the "I'm Reading" section, I find my book but I do not see the box that says "Adobe DRM EPUB." When I click onto the "Purchased" section I find this:

Keep track of your purchases

This page will show you a history of all your purchases to date. To get started, follow the steps below…

Find a new ebook

* Search or browse our catalog of eBooks
* Huge selection - millions of titles including new releases, bestsellers, award winners
* Great Prices on bestsellers and millions of free eBooks

Build your library

* Purchased eBooks are stored in your library
* Thousands of free eBooks can also be added to your library
* eBooks in your library can be read on or offline

Get your free App

* Download one of our FREE apps for smartphones:
iPhone, Blackberry©, Palm Prē™ and Android™
* Download Adobe Digital Editions to read on your desktop
or on your eReading devices

Read on any device - anytime!

* Read on the go on your smartphone, ereader or desktop
* Huge selection - new releases, bestsellers, award winners
* New to Kobo?
o Sign in and create your own personal library of free ebooks you choose and ones that you purchase. Plus, take advantage of other great features.

Quote:
Note: If you don't see the box "Adobe DRM EPUB" on the Library page of the Kobo website, and instead you see a blank area, then it is possible that you may have purchased a book that doesn't come in EPUB format. It is rare but does happen. Before you purchase a book, you should check its info page to make sure it says "Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB". I learned this tip the hard way!
I can't imagine that I have to re-download ADE again. So, I'm now thinking that its not available in EPUB format? But there are some 295 books listed under the "Free eBooks" section. I can't believe that this is the case for all of these.

P.S. A search on my computer's harddrive for "Don Quixote" yields nothing. But, alas, I feel as if I'm tilting at windmills.