Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
Forster
Forster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle 2, DX, kindle fire, kindle 3, kindle PW
K2 Screensaver hack on DX?

Anyone brave enough to try it yet?
Forster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Lemmie know how that works out for you. <wink> (the OS is substantially different, but the "update" is a simple text search and replace, it SHOULD work on the K2DX if they have any sort of commonality in the source but I sure won't be trying it first). In fact the K2DX source code has been released so it's just a matter of checking to see if it'd work:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...&creative=9325

I might do that if I have the time this weekend, but I'm sure somebody else will get to it first.
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I was waiting for an official post from the guy who wrote it. :P
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Probably good idea not to be theh first one
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not a screensaver hack. eink does not need a screensaver. So there's nothing to have to save. It's just a slide show that eats away at the life of your battery before you need to charge it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
unrequited
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not a screensaver hack. eink does not need a screensaver. So there's nothing to have to save. It's just a slide show that eats away at the life of your battery before you need to charge it.
It's not even that, it's just a sequential image viewer every time you put it to "sleep" or "keylock" if you will. It doesn't change images and wastes no more battery than if you were to keep it "on" all the time (provided the wireless was shut off).
Old 06-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
NcBlueEyedBlonde
NcBlueEyedBlonde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
So I assume we do not know if the old one works yet.. I know the image sizes are larger obviously,I would THINK it would work with the DX but if anyone hears how it is let me know.. Ihated the dead authors on K2.. but on the DX they are downright creepy.
NcBlueEyedBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Who wants to risk bricking their Kindle DX?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Forster
Forster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle 2, DX, kindle fire, kindle 3, kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Who wants to risk bricking their Kindle DX?
I was hoping one of you people would and report back.
Forster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post
I was hoping one of you people would and report back.
Too expensive to be a paper weight, I guess we'll have to wait for some rich super geek to give it a go.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I was waiting for an official post from the guy who wrote it. :P
I'd love to help on this one, but I didn't buy a DX. I'll probably be buying another K2 for my Mom in few months, but the DX just didn't offer me anything over the K2.

Again, I'd imagine it would work (or at least cause no major harm if it didn't), but I sure wouldn't risk it. The best thing to do would be to write a quick non-invasive "update script" that copies the /opt/amazon/ebook/config/framework.mario.conf file to /mnt/us/ (the USB partition, so we can examine what directory/config changes might be different than the K2), copies the /etc/prettyversion.txt to /mnt/us (just to makes sure it exists), and does a directory listing of /etc/rc5.d/ (so we can be sure that the init script launches before the framework does). Those three things pretty much comprise the hack, and the info from them would be enough to a) see if the K2 hack would still work, or b) rewrite it to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
You really need to get over this. Since the kindle DEV team calls it a screensaver, then so will I.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur

Since the Kindle DX firmware is 2.1 I'm pretty darn confident it would work, but I'm more concerned about not being able to restore the old firmware if the update fails...

Clark, what's your epxerience regarding failed firmware hacks? Can you still access the Kindle in USB drive mode? Will it recover?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
Phigment
Phigment began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I tried to run a screensaver hack I found for Kindle 2s on my DX, and it didn't work.

I'm new to this whole thing, so I'm not certain it's the same hack you're talking about.

It's a .4 version by one "clarknova" on this board.

If that's the file you're talking about, it seems to be totally inert. Didn't cause any problems, but wouldn't run. I placed the binary in the root of the Kindle in USB mode, and went to tell it to update like the README file said. The update option, however, was grayed out and inactive; I couldn't select it.

Didn't hurt anything, though. I went and deleted it out again just to be on the safe side.
Phigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
unrequited
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
I'd love to help on this one, but I didn't buy a DX. I'll probably be buying another K2 for my Mom in few months, but the DX just didn't offer me anything over the K2.

Again, I'd imagine it would work (or at least cause no major harm if it didn't), but I sure wouldn't risk it. The best thing to do would be to write a quick non-invasive "update script" that copies the /opt/amazon/ebook/config/framework.mario.conf file to /mnt/us/ (the USB partition, so we can examine what directory/config changes might be different than the K2), copies the /etc/prettyversion.txt to /mnt/us (just to makes sure it exists), and does a directory listing of /etc/rc5.d/ (so we can be sure that the init script launches before the framework does). Those three things pretty much comprise the hack, and the info from them would be enough to a) see if the K2 hack would still work, or b) rewrite it to work.

You really need to get over this. Since the kindle DEV team calls it a screensaver, then so will I.
Any way you would be able to write a hack blindly using the new update procedure here?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...279#post493279
Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
It's not even that, it's just a sequential image viewer every time you put it to "sleep" or "keylock" if you will. It doesn't change images and wastes no more battery than if you were to keep it "on" all the time (provided the wireless was shut off).
Yes, it does indeed use battery. Every time the screen is changed, it takes more battery then just left in standby with a fixed image.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote