Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
How do you choose?

I have a dreadfully long list of books that people have convinced me that I simply must read at some point in my life. I frequently find myself struggling to figure out what to read next from this list.

What are your personal criteria for choosing the next book? Do you read whole series with no interruptions? Do you read a certain genre for a while and then switch? Do you use a random number generator?
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
This is coming from the perspective of someone who has several books on the go at any given time!

If I've started a series, I will start on the next in the series after I've finished the previous one. Otherwise I tend to go by what genre/author/subject interests me at that time. If some-one's jumping up and down and raving about a book, and I already have it, that might shove it higher on the list.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I choose by what genre/mood I feel like reading at the time. I tend to switch around a lot, especially if I just finished reading something kinda depressing-- like Empress (or the third Temeraire book). Then I make sure to read a humor/light-hearted book next so I don't get too depressed.

I generally don't read a series all at once, just because I tend to get burnt out really quickly. But sometimes if the series is really exciting, like the Temeraire series (before I got to the end of the third book, that is), I'll push through and read at least a few of the books in a row. Just depends on how I feel.

(I hope that wasn't too long-winded!)
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I like the concentrate on a specific author and read their stuff chronologically and by series order when possible.

Currently I'm reading every last bit of Heinlein I haven't read before. Just some shorts and a couple of novels left. After that I'm not sure what to tackle next: Gaiman? Pratchett? Maybe the DF Jones Colossus series; those should be a quick read.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm another of those people who tends to read more than one book at a time. Currently, I'm reading Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts and The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. There are several other books that I have started, but set aside for some reason or another.

Because I'm in a book swapping group, most of the time I will select the next book to read from those that I owe to someone in the group. Which is currently the case with Blood Brothers -- I owe the trilogy to a swapper in Virginia. And when I finish it, I'll probably move on to the second book in the trilogy.

But sometimes I'm just determined I'm going to read something that just simply appeals to me.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Right now I am picking short ones, to try and clear my backlog a little
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Unless an author's style or universe really grabs me, I find I do better if I don't read series books one after the other (assuming I'm discovering the series after more than a couple of the books have been published). My enjoyment of the subsequent books tends to go down if I read them too close together.

Same with genres (although it might be more like "sub-genres").

So, if I just read a gritty urban fantasy with a kick-a$$ heroine, I try to find something like a light romance next. Or maybe a cozy mystery. But if the styles between books are too similar, I tend to compare them, rather than just enjoy the stories.

In terms of how do I pick? Yikes.

I load up the Sony with as many books as it comfortably holds. Finish a book. And then I just start paging through the table of contents until I find one that catches my fancy. That's generally going to be a different "flavor" or genre than the last one, but beyond that, it's rather haphazard.

Of course, if a book I'm waiting for comes out, that's usually "next"! (Unlike some of the others here, I can't do two books at a time - although I can do an audio book and print...uh...e-...uh reading book...at the same time.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
FizzyWater - I also don't usually like to read multiple books in a series or even multiple books by the same author one after another. Also, I usually choose a different genre, so the next book will hopefully be very different than the one I just finished.

I know people that read numerous books by the same author, but I like to mix things up more.

Steve K.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
i Ussually go from

New Author, Old Author, Old Author
and repeat. though not always, though i ussually alternate between a known author and an unknown atleast, unless the Unknown was OUTSTANDING, i would ussually read a know safe author. for me, authors that i have read before i read quickly, so i go from fast to slow, if i speed though a book, i will try to find a new author so the next one is slow.

so hard

If i read a book by a new author, I ussually look for a few more books by them and put them on the reader. then i go back and read something else from someone i love, Ussually Heinlein, Or Card, or Haldeman, and now Niven.

Last 10 books Ive read

The Gripping Hand by Larry Niven
Dauntless (The Lost Fleet, Book 1) by Jack Campbell
Red Planet by Robert A. Heinlein
Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card
The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven
Starborne by Robert Silverberg
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
The Yazoo Queen by Orson Scott Card
Saturn's Children by Charles Stross
Rocket Ship Galileo by Robert A. Heinlein
The Sagan Diary by John Scalzi

Save for Saturn's Children, they were all 4-5 star books, I didnt really like Stross that much, but im willing to give him another shot as ive heard alot of good things, this time without the Chibi sex robots.

Stross, Bradbury, Silverberg, and Campbell were all new authors for me (maybe not bradbury, but first one ive read in a long time)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:12 AM   #10
Detour
Lurker
Detour has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS 500/505 (blue) / iPhone / Kindle (gave away)
I'm of the "read them in order" group. Whether it's actually a series or just the published order of stand alone novels of a particular author, I like to go about it in order. For variety what I've been doing lately is listening to series in audio book format and reading the rest on my reader. I have about 60 hours a week (while working, so I actually get paid for that time, heh) I can devote to audio books, so I go through a lot of them.

If it's a favorite author's new release everything else gets put on hold. I research suggested books and series by scanning the reviews online, and start them when I'm in the mood for that genre if they sound good. I keep track of suggested books that sound good by using the wish list feature at amazon, fictionwise, audible, and my library. When I want something new I scan my wish lists first, then the NY Times book section to see what's new.

Sometimes I seem to get stuck in a rut where nothing seems good. This is usually triggered by reading something excellent where everything else pales in comparison, then I go back to an old favorite to reset my reading mood.

Currently I'm rereading George RR Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series on audio, and reading Garth Stein's "The Art of Racing in the Rain" on the reader.
Detour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I tend to exhaust a series or author and move on. as far as new stuff I look for recommendations from soneone who likesed something else I also liked. Or sometimes I'll check out an award-winning author I've never read. There are LOT of award winners
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #12
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I am having the same "what should I read next" feeling. My reading list seems to grow larger and never seems to shrink. I guess I am feeling a bit of freebie overload as I can't seem to say no to publisher's freebies from harper collins, sony, and random house over the last several months.
I don't usually read all of a series at once as you do get sick of them even if its your favourite. I tend to rotate through genres to keep up the variety.
I have tried to read more than one book at a time but can't do it.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I am having the same "what should I read next" feeling. My reading list seems to grow larger and never seems to shrink. I guess I am feeling a bit of freebie overload as I can't seem to say no to publisher's freebies from harper collins, sony, and random house over the last several months.
I don't usually read all of a series at once as you do get sick of them even if its your favourite. I tend to rotate through genres to keep up the variety.
I have tried to read more than one book at a time but can't do it.
Yes, I gave up on d/ling every freebee out there. I have made the mistake of reading some of them that now I regret. I figure, they will be free again or not.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, I gave up on d/ling every freebee out there. I have made the mistake of reading some of them that now I regret. I figure, they will be free again or not.

BOb
I am going to have to learn to be more ruthless when it comes to freebies
Publisher freebies will probably will get through but as I have found with unpublished author freebies you have to start reading about 3 or 4 of them before you find one that interests you. Out of about a dozen I have only really liked the DownTime scifi/comedy series and Mars Girl that I am currently reading.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:49 AM   #15
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
I also tend to read what I feel that I want to read. If I feel like reading a Sci-Fi then I do that. But I have a stand by of books of other genre if I get tired of what I'm reading. I also have some inspirational books to keep me motivated through the day. Read what you like and not what is dictated in any order just to finish it.

Reading should be an enjoyable time and not a chore to finish a book.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote