Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
gbloom182
gbloom182 will become famous soon enoughgbloom182 will become famous soon enoughgbloom182 will become famous soon enoughgbloom182 will become famous soon enoughgbloom182 will become famous soon enoughgbloom182 will become famous soon enough

Device: kobo
epub files on two different devices? Sony and kobo?

Hi, I'm new to the whole ebook thing. My wife already has a sony 505 and I want to know if I buy a kobo or Sony-650 can I read the same DRMed Epub files that she has on your sony and put it on one of these two? Or do I need to delete the book from her reader before the file will show up on mine?

Secondly... I got a nook as a present, did not like has glossy the casing was, its to distracting. All I want to do is read a book on a reader, no bells or whistles needed. With that said I'm a lefty but don't mind buttons on the right. Which would work best for me? THe kobo Wireless or the Sony-650? THanks!
gbloom182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A single AdobeID can support 6 PC/Mac's and 6 handheld Reading devices, so a PRS-505 and a PRS-650 (or Nook or Kobo) can load the same Adobe ePubs - buy once use on 6 devices. Note that this will also work with the Nook, but if you kept it and bought an ePub from B&N it would not work on the PRS-505 (because Sony, not B&N, has locked their devices out from B&N ePubs).

I don't know which of the Kobo and PRS-650 would suit you better. One issue with the Kobo is that it has the most extreme vendor lock in of any ePub-based ebook store. They have some ebooks that you can't download as ePubs, and their PC app won't read ePubs from other sites. The same is likely true of their iPhone and Android apps. Overall, it isn't a good choice for a multi-vendor reading family.

Last edited by wallcraft; 12-30-2010 at 10:49 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi Wallcraft,

Both our Android apps and iphone apps will read any unencrypted ePubs. This functionality is not on our Desktop application yet, but it will be coming soon (not enough hours in the day! ). Same with the Kobo eReader, you can drag and drop any unencrypted ePub onto it and it will read it.

For encrypted content from 3rd parties, it's a bit different. Right now only the Kobo eReader supports Adobe DRM'd content, and we're looking into enabling support for Adobe DRM on our other platforms.

Hope that clarifies.

Gbloom182,

If you get a Kobo eReader, you should be able to authorize and load DRMed ePub files onto it through Adobe Digital Editions as long as you have not run out activations (It allows 6 devices per ID as Wallcraft has pointed out).

Hope that helps in your purchase decision. Good news is that regardless of which of those devices you choose, you will have access to all the content and deals from kobo.com.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Thanks, Sameer - If I understand it properly, a chart would be like this:
  • Kepub from Kobo store
    • eReader: yes
    • phone app: yes
    • desktop app: yes
  • Clean epub from anywhere
    • desktop app: coming
  • ADE epub from some store
    • phone apps: maybe
    • desktop apps: maybe

Is this right as of 31 Dec 2010?

Oh, one other point: Most of the books in the Kobo store are available as Kepub and as ADE epub, although I'm not sure of the percentages.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There are already ways to read an unencrypted ePub on a pc. Adobe has a reader, Firefox has an add-on that is pretty nice, and I imagine there are others. I believe that Calibre has a built-in ePub reader, too.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Susan - You are right, of course. My "table" was meant to show the abilities of the Kobo software only. But... "tables" in forum responses are sort of like dancing bears - a bit clumsy - so I left out that bit of useful information
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Thanks, Sameer - If I understand it properly, a chart would be like this:
  • Kepub from Kobo store
    • desktop app: yes
  • Clean epub from anywhere
    • desktop app: coming
  • ADE epub from some store
    • phone apps: maybe
    • desktop apps: maybe

Is this right as of 31 Dec 2010?

Oh, one other point: Most of the books in the Kobo store are available as Kepub and as ADE epub, although I'm not sure of the percentages.
If, by 'clean' epub you mean unencrypted ePub, yes that's pretty accurate.

If a book on Kobo.com does not have an Adobe ePub available for it, it's quite likely a mistake (IIRC this may not be true for Internet Archive books, I will check). So please let me or support know which book it is and we'll fix it.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Hey Sameer,

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison does not have an Adobe DRM ePub download option. I took this up with support and they claimed this was not a mistake, but I still find it unusual. Maybe you would have better luck than me on this one?

Thanks!
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canorka View Post
Hey Sameer,

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison does not have an Adobe DRM ePub download option. I took this up with support and they claimed this was not a mistake, but I still find it unusual. Maybe you would have better luck than me on this one?

Thanks!
Looking into it. Don't see a reason for this one not to have one.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Thanks man! Appreciate it.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote