Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Never had my Sony below three bars either, Sweetpea. It get heavy use and I give it a mains charge overnight about once every two or three weeks. Never the slightest hitch. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #17
zmix
Connoisseur
zmix began at the beginning.

Device: none
FYI: The red light will go out when the battery reaches 80% charge. For a FULL charge you should leave the Reader on the charger for at least 8 hours.
zmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmix View Post
FYI: The red light will go out when the battery reaches 80% charge. For a FULL charge you should leave the Reader on the charger for at least 8 hours.
Where did you get this from - is it in the user guide?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #19
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
This is actually the standard behaviour for charging any lithium batteries... 80% charge is relatively quick and usually what charge light refers to, remaining 20% much slower and carries on after charging light has gone out. Sony quotes around couple of hours for 80% and up to 6-8 hours for full charge.In any case, device stops charging when battery maxed out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Where did you get this from - is it in the user guide?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #20
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko73 View Post
I have had the 650 for about 6 weeks now and have had an issue with the battery. About 2 weeks ago it went from 4 bars to 2 in a day (when ordinarily it would have stayed on 4 or dropped to 3). I recharged via a plug charger and the same thing happened. I was a bit perplexed and decided to power the device on and off again (I usually just go into sleep mode). And this has fixed the problem, it now works as it did before. I can only presume that the processor was working while in the sleep mode and this was causing the battery drain. By shutting down and 'rebooting' the device it was no longer having to process the errant thread. Its all guesswork though.
I had the exact same problem, going from full to 2 bars overnight in sleep mode. The fix was also the same - shutting down fixed the problem.
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
I had the exact same problem, going from full to 2 bars overnight in sleep mode. The fix was also the same - shutting down fixed the problem.
So you did a complete shut down (not just turning it off with the slider), and from then one, the problem disappeared? Cool! I have my reader fully charged now (with Blackberry charger overnight), and will analyze how the battery performs. If it's still an issue, I will also follow the one-time-shutdown advice.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #22
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast
TimeTraveler doesn't litterTimeTraveler doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 PRS-650,Asus Transformer Prime and Kindle Fire HDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko73 View Post
I have had the 650 for about 6 weeks now and have had an issue with the battery. About 2 weeks ago it went from 4 bars to 2 in a day (when ordinarily it would have stayed on 4 or dropped to 3). I recharged via a plug charger and the same thing happened. I was a bit perplexed and decided to power the device on and off again (I usually just go into sleep mode). And this has fixed the problem, it now works as it did before. I can only presume that the processor was working while in the sleep mode and this was causing the battery drain. By shutting down and 'rebooting' the device it was no longer having to process the errant thread. Its all guesswork though.
I also had the same problem you had with my 650. After charging it (in standby) with my cell phone charger the red light would go out and I would have 4 bars. The next day it would be down to one or two bars. I powered it completely off, recharged it and so far it's working perfect now. So far it looks like you have found the solution to this problem.
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #23
Blackadder
Somewhat bored
Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo hd
My PRS-600 has done the same thing, twice over the last 4 weeks. I always use the official PSP mains charger to charge the reader and always leave it overnight.

Had turned it off and left it unused for 2/3 days, went from 3 bars to totally dead in that time.
Blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #24
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Check that you have power management on in the settings. I turned it off once and forgot to turn back on, and it led to very similar symptoms.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #25
Bvelleko
Bvelleko began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (Black)
I had the same problems last 2 days.
Yesterday I tried to strat it, dead. Started troubleshooting and found out the battery was drained. Plugged it in to an USB port of my pc and left it to charge all day (about 13 hours). Tested it the same night and appeared to be fully charged.
This morning I tried to start it and it was yet again completely dead. Charged it again via USB for an hour and it works again, battery is at 50%??
Now I got it plugged in a AC socket to charge all day again.
My guess is that it lacks to charge fully under USB, quite strange because it's kind of made for it. The real question is, is the USB-controller in my reader broken or is there a compatibility-issue with USB2/3 ports.
If that's true I'm sure that this would be the last Sony product I bought.

Last edited by Bvelleko; 07-07-2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: typo
Bvelleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #26
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
May I suggest a compete shut-down and restart, or even a "soft"reset, meaning just push the reset-button and flip the power switch to power on?

Sometimes the OS is caught in a loop, preventing the main CPU from entering power-save-mode. A restart or reset cures this.

HTH
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #27
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvelleko View Post
I had the same problems last 2 days.
Yesterday I tried to strat it, dead. Started troubleshooting and found out the battery was drained. Plugged it in to an USB port of my pc and left it to charge all day (about 13 hours). Tested it the same night and appeared to be fully charged.
The Sony will drain if the computer is turned off, and will often drain if the computer goes to sleep. I wager you will find it will keep its charge after you are done charging it via the wall charger.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:48 AM   #28
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Just a (probably) daft query - I follow advice about not charging 'till it needs it, avoiding unnecessary "squirts" of charging - but last night suddenly realised that every time I plug into the PC, it stars charging !
For as long as it takes to d/load a book etc..

So what happens there - or is it so minute a charge it doesn't effect the battery performance in the long run ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #29
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Modern batteries last longer if you don't run them down too much before recharging. So no damage by the occational short trickle charge.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #30
Bvelleko
Bvelleko began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The Sony will drain if the computer is turned off, and will often drain if the computer goes to sleep. I wager you will find it will keep its charge after you are done charging it via the wall charger.
For that 13 hours my computer wasn't turned off or went to sleep. After I tested it I unplugged the USB cable and turned my computer off so that can't be the problem.

I did the reset (Soft and Hard) the first time it died, so that problem shouldn't be coming back the next day.

Anyway today I booted it and everything seems to be normal again. I will use it until it's empty again to see if I can charge it with my computer again. It better work that time!
Bvelleko is offline   Reply With Quote