Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Just opened up my IQ!

I was looking for an inexpensive Android tablet that was better than the low $100 but not over $150. I have the Maylong M-150 sold by Walgreens but it's disappointing but I'll keep it just to learn more about Android.

The first thing I noticed about the IQ is it's weight, I have arthritis and find it tiring to hold heavier items, but since most of my reading is with the device propped up it's not too bad.

When you turn on the IQ the first time you're directed to the Pocketbook IQ web page for the latest download. Two problems. One, at this point you haven't even booted up and turned on WiFi much less entered in a password. Two, when you get to the Pocketbook IQ web page there are no downloads. Could have sworn the other day there were at least a few games. Minor issue. Once you're booted up the Bookland app is front and center. Meh. It's probably perfectly adequate but I'll have to look at it later. Can't figure out how to delete any of the included books, the search function crashes and it took me a few minutes to navigate to the User Manual (at least I made it a Favorite so I'll be able to access it faster.

You have to do a side swipe from right to left starting at the very edge of the screen to get to the home screen. PocketBook mercifully left the home screen blank and allows you to populate it with your favorite apps.

The screen is noticeably more responsive and accurate than the M-150 and the screen is a better form factor. The M-150 screen is 16:9 whereas the IQ screen appears to be closer to 4:3 which IMO a better height to width ratio for reading.

I already own a Droid so I sideloaded the Kindle app, it works great. SlideMe is the market app included on the IQ and oddly it didn't have the Kindle app available.

I kinda like the IQ but I need to play with some more.

Edited to add: I'm having WiFi issues, I have to reboot my router each time I need to connect the IQ, never had to this before.

Last edited by TallMomof2; 11-20-2010 at 03:51 PM.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
How is the screen clarity? Okay for reading?
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
My IQ was just delivered to the PO Box in Nogales, AZ from Dulin's Books according to USPS.

Now I just await the courier to bring it 5 hours south to San Carlos! I wait...not so patiently! Perhaps the first PocketBook IQ in Mexico.

FYI: Dulin's Books was great.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The screen clarity is really good, better than the $99 Maylong M-150. Can't compare it to an iPad but I only paid $129.99 before shipping from Dulin's Books. It's definitely $30 better than the Maylong tablet.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
I talked to the Regina, the head hocho (honchette?) for North America today, and she said the new firmware would be ready for Black Friday (that's Nov. 26 for anyone outside the US). It's supposed to have a lot of changes, so hopefully it will resolve some of these issues. Mine is charging as I type, so we'll see tomorrow how things go!
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

I've been playing around with the Pocketbook reading software.

First big gripe: The manual does not tell you explicitly which folder to put your books. I'd used Dropbox to move some books from my PC (the Dropbox Android app worked great!) and even though I could open the book immediately and read if I went away and came back the book was nowhere to be found in the Pocketbook software. Moving the books to the "Books" folder within the Pocketbook folder works but no thumbnails of the cover which I had when I simply opened the book when it was downloaded. Yes, the png files are there.

The Pocketbook reading software is sluggish and I'm hoping the upcoming firmware upgrade fixes that. I would like to be able to hide Bookland.

I used the File Manager app to delete the free books, if I want public domain books I'll come here to download excellently formatted versions.

You can change the font sizes but not the font, I wonder if you can add different fonts and how you'd do that. Nothing in the manual. At least I like the font.

Would like to see a little bit of margin all way around the page, can't find anyway to change that. The words and the lines are too close together. I know you can change the CSS file but all I want to do is read.

As it is the same book in ASW in the Kindle app is much more readable than the same book in EPUB in the Pocketbook reading app. The EPUB was converted from the Amazon AZW in Calibre.

I'll wait until the new firmware is available before commenting anymore of the reading software.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
don't know if Mavis or TallMom saw this, but it looks like the new firmware is available, but probably not posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpupsik View Post
The promised retail version of firmware for IQ was delivered today.
We are starting shipping all orders now. Folks who received IQ earlier (or have devices without this firmware on the way) please contact the seller you bought the device from to get the instructions for the upgrade.
Since it is not a regular firmware upgrade I am not publishing it for all. Thank you for understanding.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The Pocketbook reading software is sluggish and I'm hoping the upcoming firmware upgrade fixes that. I would like to be able to hide Bookland.
Have you tried press-and-holding on a book file in the Pocketbook library?
On the eink readers, this gives you a choice of reader apps; the adobe DRM-capable adobeviewer and the PB version of FBreader (much better, controls-wise). If it offers that up, you can copy any TrueType font into a \Fonts folder in the SD card and use that instead.
This is, of course, the IQ firmware is patterned after the eink readers.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
don't know if Mavis or TallMom saw this, but it looks like the new firmware is available, but probably not posted:
I did see this, but you're right; it's not posted yet. And here where their US headquarters is located, they aren't updating the units. So I guess I'll play around with it "as is" and not make any changes until NEXT weekend. And I did notice that the manual gives you the instructions on how to update. Of course, it's the usual--download to a card, press the magic power up combo and follow the onscreen instructions. So it's easy enough, just a little annoying that I have to do it when people who bought elsewhere don't.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Use the IQ as an Android tablet with all Apps available, and you'll enjoy it. I consider the Pocketbook widget a minor nuisance right now that comes along with the tablet.

The screen ist fine when using it IQ for reading comic books or using the Kindle for Android App. Or for surfing. For it's price it's a rather pleasant device if you take into consideration anything that will have to be left out for such a price.

But, yeah, due to the metal casing it is kinda heavy.

Last edited by K-Thom; 11-21-2010 at 05:41 PM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Have you tried press-and-holding on a book file in the Pocketbook library?
On the eink readers, this gives you a choice of reader apps; the adobe DRM-capable adobeviewer and the PB version of FBreader (much better, controls-wise). If it offers that up, you can copy any TrueType font into a \Fonts folder in the SD card and use that instead.
This is, of course, the IQ firmware is patterned after the eink readers.
Press and Hold gives the options of:

open
add to favorites
mark as read
shelves
view info

Heck, the only way I've found to delete books without connecting to a PC is to use the File Manager app and go find the book to delete.

You're supposed to be able to read ADE DRMed ePubs. ADE doesn't recognize the device and even Adobe points you to Aldiko as supporting ADE DRM but when you open up Aldiko and go to import books the program explicitly tells you that it doesn't support Adobe DRM yet.

I'll wait until the firmware update appears.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #12
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Thanks for the update. Until I know that the IQ can definately read drm books I'm going to wait. All of my books are epubs & pdfs, and a good chunk are drm'd. So if the IQ can't read them, it would be a deal breaker for me.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Press and Hold gives the options of:

open
add to favorites
mark as read
shelves
view info
ohhh-kaayyy...

On the eink line, for epubs, the open option is replaced by "open with" and a list of reader aps you can control with an extensions.cfg file and, factory-fresh, lets you choose between the DRM-free FBReader and the ADE-compatible Adobeviewer. There is also a file management set of picks; copy, move, rename, delete...

So, yes, we *will* have to wait until the release firmware to see how much of a Pocketbook reader the IQ really is.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

What's really good is that you can install other reader apps. I have the Kindle app the Aldiko app installed and both are nicer than the Pocketbook app.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:53 AM   #15
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
What's really good is that you can install other reader apps. I have the Kindle app the Aldiko app installed and both are nicer than the Pocketbook app.
Same experience over here. Thanks to Amazon for releasing an Android app.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote