Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Calibre Census?

Are there any official statistics published about what devices people are using with calibre?

What percentage Kindle, Kobo, Boox, Bookeen, Sony, etc.

I'm really interested to understand the user base.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How could there be? Calibre doesn't "report back" to someone what device is connected to it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
These are the statistics calibre does collect ==>> calibre - Usage Statistics - counts by country and OS, but not by device.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
These are the statistics calibre does collect ==>> calibre - Usage Statistics - counts by country and OS, but not by device.
Excellent, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How could there be? Calibre doesn't "report back" to someone what device is connected to it.
It seems you were incorrect.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I was not incorrect. Calibre does not report on what devices are connected to it.
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
As evidenced by the link, Calibre does indeed "phone home" and upload end user data. The data displayed on the linked webpage only shows Country, Version, and OS but that doesn't mean Calibre does not upload other data too (and it's just not displayed).

I always turn off "phone home" behavior in software if there's a setting to do that because I consider it an invasion of privacy, even if what is displayed publicly (as in the Calibre link) is innocuous - since you never know what ELSE is being uploaded and collected. Even if there is a "do not upload" setting, that does not mean that the software will heed your request. Calibre does not appear to have such a setting to disable end user tracking, not that I could find. I guess this loss of privacy is the price you have to pay for using software. Both free and paid software can stomp on privacy. Another thought - anything from Google or Amazon is probably violating you in more ways that you care to know!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I always turn off "phone home" behavior in software if there's a setting to do that because I consider it an invasion of privacy, even if what is displayed publicly (as in the Calibre link) is innocuous - since you never know what ELSE is being uploaded and collected.
Calibre is open source. You can look at the source code and see for yourself if you think that the documentation (which tells you exactly what's being collected - and always has done) is lying.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I never said Calibre documentation was lying. I was obviously speaking generically, about software in general. If I were worried about a specific program, I wouldn't be running it.

I wouldn't waste my time reviewing source code, although I am capable of that if I wanted to. I simply would find a different piece of software. If you feel the need to review the source code because you think it's untrustworthy, then I submit that you still wouldn't trust it 100%, even after reviewing the code - all ten bazillion lines of it, given something as complex as Calibre (I highly doubt it's a 100 line shell script...)
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It also keeps track of News recipe usage see =>> https://calibre-ebook.com/dynamic/recipe-usage

None of this is secret - it's on the calibre About page.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:24 PM   #10
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
calibre is the only software I allow to phone home. Maybe I will disable it later but I am still in the lovey-dovey honeymoon stage with this product and I look forward to seeing how it improves.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #11
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I guess this loss of privacy is the price you have to pay for using software. Both free and paid software can stomp on privacy. Another thought - anything from Google or Amazon is probably violating you in more ways that you care to know!

Before I was even aware of Calibre phoning home, I make a point to run software though Tor. If you are on linux, you can use the program "proxychains" to pipe any network connections though Tor.

I was very glad I did so when I found out that Calibre phoned home.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote