Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-24-2017, 12:40 AM   #31
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Yes, you can. I don't use it, since I like nice, big text, but the option is there.
Thanks! I don't know what answer I was hoping for because I really don't need another tablet, but $99 is a good price. And I just realized that I'll get another 5% off with the Amazon store card. That makes it $89! I don't know if I can resist. This version seems way better than the previous.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #32
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Can you have two columns in landscape in the Kindle reader app? I know that you can't on the HD 8, but it seems a necessity to be able to read in landscape on a 10 inch tablet.
I will double check but 99 per cent sure I can do that on all my tablets, including my hd 8 just tick mutiple columns in kindle app preferences. Surely the app software is the same on all fire tablets.
For sure my hdx 8.9 kindle can do it, I'm always read like that.
So can the libby overdrive app once you guess which icon controls it
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #33
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I will double check but 99 per cent sure I can do that on all my tablets, including my hd 8 just tick mutiple columns in kindle app preferences. Surely the app software is the same on all fire tablets.
For sure my hdx 8.9 kindle can do it, I'm always read like that.
So can the libby overdrive app once you guess which icon controls it
I just checked my HD 8 again, and it doesn't have those settings. It only has what's in this screen print. My version of the Kindle app is 10.30.188_1201698810 - what's yours?

Image deleted.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Last edited by issybird; 11-25-2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Sorry; there was something wrong with the file and the image wouldn't upload or resize.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #34
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
I just checked my HD 8 again, and it doesn't have those settings. It only has what's in this screen print....
I don't have the 8, but on the HDX and the 10: on the top-right menu buttons in the book click 'Additional Settings' and choose 'Allow Multiple Columns.'
Hope that works!
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks! I don't know what answer I was hoping for because I really don't need another tablet, but $99 is a good price. And I just realized that I'll get another 5% off with the Amazon store card. That makes it $89! I don't know if I can resist. This version seems way better than the previous.
Hmmm.... 5% of $99 would be $4.95 leaving you to pay $94.05.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2017, 11:26 PM   #36
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
I don't have the 8, but on the HDX and the 10: on the top-right menu buttons in the book click 'Additional Settings' and choose 'Allow Multiple Columns.'
Hope that works!
I did check additional settings, and that brings me to the settings you see when you are not reading a book - the menu on the top left on the library screen. There is no allow multiple columns there. Thanks for looking anyway.

My version of the Kindle app is 10.30.188_1201698810 - what's yours on the 10?
Old 11-25-2017, 12:56 AM   #37
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you were right
it worked on my HDX 8.9 ( i have multiple columns as the 1st preference in reader settings - but not on the 8

I also get multiple columns on my 10 inch samsung in Kindle for Android.

My HDX Kindle version is same as you typed. to preferences do vary by device
I bought the 10 at the £110 UK black Friday price yesterday but delivery is backlogged into December. I will post an answer then if still not answered

I had planned to sell the 2016 HD 8 to finance the new HD 10 but I could not attract bids at my target price on ebay. I may try again when all tablets have reverted to full price. amazon is practically giving them away right now!
Old 11-25-2017, 01:33 AM   #38
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm.... 5% of $99 would be $4.95 leaving you to pay $94.05.
Yeah, so my arithmetic sucks.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:42 AM   #39
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
you were right
it worked on my HDX 8.9 ( i have multiple columns as the 1st preference in reader settings - but not on the 8

I also get multiple columns on my 10 inch samsung in Kindle for Android.

My HDX Kindle version is same as you typed. to preferences do vary by device
I bought the 10 at the £110 UK black Friday price yesterday but delivery is backlogged into December. I will post an answer then if still not answered

I had planned to sell the 2016 HD 8 to finance the new HD 10 but I could not attract bids at my target price on ebay. I may try again when all tablets have reverted to full price. amazon is practically giving them away right now!
Kindle for Android has better options than Amazon's own hardware. Go figure.

On my HD 8 I have to make the margins much larger than I would normally use to make it easier to read in landscape. I have to read the Kindle owners lending library on Amazon hardware. The Prime Reading can be read on any hardware so I use my Huawei tablet for those.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:57 AM   #40
stumped
Wizard

update on the 2 column thing - I messaged amazon Cs who did not understand the question and said you need to talk to us- so I did that & finally managed to explain the question. but all the lady could do was offer to pass it on to the dev teams as feedback. She did say that different devices get different versions of the software even though the version number may match , that does not mean same software. and as for the new HD 10 it was" don't know." she did say she will try to find out but i expect I will find out first, by trying it when it arrives

Kindle for android, the tiny bottom margin annoys me and there is no way to widen it, otherwise it's pretty good. But accepting the extra hassle of converting and then using moon+ pro suits me better, as it give much finer margin and line height controls.
i had to tweak moon+ to look good for 2 column landscape on the 8 ( a straight restore of my larger tablet settings did not look great, as the ppi is different ).

if its some kindle unlimited freebie that I may well abandon after a few pages, I am not going to convert it, but anything i seriously want to read, I will get it into epub, and polish it to how i like my books to look. Sp long as my old version of Kindle for PC does not get zapped, I still know how to do that..

Last edited by stumped; 11-25-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #41
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Same (or worse) story with my 2015 HD 8. I would get next to nothing for it. And might be just as disappointed with the 2017 version. Would love to get one for $50 - so I asked my 14 yo daughter if she wanted one for Christmas She said no. *sigh* No new tablets this year.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #42
stumped
Wizard

so having failed to sell my HD 8 I ask the family if they got any black friday bargains - yes says my grown up daughter - she'd bought a new HD 8 for her daughter.!
so I will have to keep working at passing mine on.
I figure you can't go far wrong with the amazon devices black friday sales though, as you can sell stuff used for about what you paid, once they go back to full price. I bought a new fire stick at £25 and before this week I'd seen them selling at £35+ used on ebay
Old 11-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #43
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
update on the 2 column thing - I messaged amazon Cs who did not understand the question and said you need to talk to us- so I did that & finally managed to explain the question. but all the lady could do was offer to pass it on to the dev teams as feedback. She did say that different devices get different versions of the software even though the version number may match , that does not mean same software. and as for the new HD 10 it was" don't know." she did say she will try to find out but i expect I will find out first, by trying it when it arrives

Kindle for android, the tiny bottom margin annoys me and there is no way to widen it, otherwise it's pretty good. But accepting the extra hassle of converting and then using moon+ pro suits me better, as it give much finer margin and line height controls.
i had to tweak moon+ to look good for 2 column landscape on the 8 ( a straight restore of my larger tablet settings did not look great, as the ppi is different ).

if its some kindle unlimited freebie that I may well abandon after a few pages, I am not going to convert it, but anything i seriously want to read, I will get it into epub, and polish it to how i like my books to look. Sp long as my old version of Kindle for PC does not get zapped, I still know how to do that..
Thanks.
Unless you speak to someone at Kindle support, CS won't know anything. I was transferred to them when I had a question last year. Maybe because it's black Friday weekend they were too busy.

I always think the margins for any Kindle app are too big, but I use a larger font size so I need to squeeze in as much text as possible.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #44
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Same (or worse) story with my 2015 HD 8. I would get next to nothing for it. And might be just as disappointed with the 2017 version. Would love to get one for $50 - so I asked my 14 yo daughter if she wanted one for Christmas She said no. *sigh* No new tablets this year.
The 2015 HD 8 really isn't worth anything compared to the 2016 model. It is much better - it has more ram and better processors. One of the apps from the Amazon app store even gave a message on the 2015 that you couldn't use all the functionality. That app runs fine on the 2016. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the 2017, but even if you are you can send it back. The only thing is that you can't do screen mirroring anymore.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #45
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
The 2015 HD 8 really isn't worth anything compared to the 2016 model. It is much better - it has more ram and better processors. One of the apps from the Amazon app store even gave a message on the 2015 that you couldn't use all the functionality. That app runs fine on the 2016. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the 2017, but even if you are you can send it back. The only thing is that you can't do screen mirroring anymore.
Not even mirroring to a fire tv ?
I find android screen mirroring to be hit and miss anyway. The smart tv in the lounge only shows on cast-to menus when it feels like it

I just setup my fire 8 again from scratch. I had reset and degistered it to try to sell it. It only took 30 mins to re-add all the Google stuff, moon reader pro., calibre companion, dropbox etc. And amazon auto restored a lot of stuff as soon as I re registered.
I do have a pc folder with the essential google apps and a list of the order to add then, so a one off connect of fire 8 over usb lets me copy them over, and the I just need one file manager app to get at them.... I backup my moon reader config to dropbox for each owned device so that gets me started on adding that to anything new. Moon labels them with device name and date which is helpful