Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #406
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
A thread was recently started about this device. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285702
Thanks for the link! I never would have found it.

Quote:
They have been busy deleting posts on their 13.3" Indiegogo page again. And they no longer seem to link to their Indiegogo page from their website. They also have announced that the 6.8" device will be launched on Kickstarter, not on Indiegogo. All very curious. Backer/Buyer beware.
I don't wish them ill and I understand that it's not easy launching a new product. But from what I can see from the outside, they just seem fundamentally unqualified to do what they are doing.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #407
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't wish them ill and I understand that it's not easy launching a new product. But from what I can see from the outside, they just seem fundamentally unqualified to do what they are doing.
I don't wish them ill either. Indeed, I would like them to be successful. It would be great to see more viable devices on the market driving innovation.

However, the way in which they handled their 13.3" campaign was really quite questionable. For example, they allowed many people to think that they would be able to hook up an external keyboard to the device via an OTG cable despite knowing that this was not possible. To me, that seems a rather deceptive way to conduct business.

Quote:
posted by Michael Kozlowski Apr 7, 2016 • 8:43AM
1 year ago

Here are a bunch of updates.

There are a number of things we are testing with the Good e-Reader 13.3 and we are making progress on a number of cool features.

One of the most exciting things we are doing is getting a proper USB Host Controller system working on our device, so you can attach a keyboard and use it to navigate around or simply be more productive. This will hopefully set the stage for being able to write blog posts, take notes in class, write novels or simply browse the web.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1...eader#/updates

They knew a year ago that there was no USB host controller on their device, but they never updated their Indiegogo page to let potential backers know. Instead, that information was buried in the comments section on their website.

Quote:
pinkpachyderm • a year ago

I'm really leaning towards getting this. However, is it likely to support USB OTG? I'd really like to be able to attach a keyboard to it.

Good E-Reader Mod • a year ago

Sadly our device does not have a USB Host controller.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...-inch-e-reader

And so some backers thought that they would be able to easily hook up an external keyboard to the device.

Quote:
Corey Wear • 2 months ago

Once I get mine in the mail, Ill be downloading an editor for writing code. Since this is an android based device I should be able to hook it up to a micro-controller and download my code. Fingers crossed. Anyone use the Ereader with a wireless keyboard? I am planing on doing this too, for writing purposes.

Ireturnedmine • 2 months ago

This model doesn't have bluetooth. I do not think it would work with a wireless keyboard. Perhaps a USB one...might work. with a OTG adapter and usb hub.

Corey Wear • 2 months ago

I could have sworn hearing it was in one of their videos. Maybe an old school usb wireless keyboard attached to an OTG adapter?!

Elijah Beale • 2 months ago

^This should probably work as external input device support is a part of base Android.

Note:

Writing code on this is def going to either:
a. make you a better touch typist
b. make you one one if you aren't
c. greatly reduce your wpm (not such a big deal for writing code)

apples • 2 months ago

Apparently, there is no way to hook up an external keyboard to this device. According to a post buried in the comments on this blog site10 months ago, one of the campaign organizers wrote. "We found out that it is USB out only, it does not have a host controller." That was in response to somebody asking if they could physically hook up an external keyboard through the usb port.

http://goodereader.com/blog/good-e-reader-13-3-support
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #408
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I'm actually a little surprised that Indiegogo allows them to delete as much negative as they do. A lot of the posters seem to have a legit request to get a refund etc and are being ignored before posting a comment reflecting that fact that then gets deleted. And having an "Easter sale" for a discounted price BEFORE some of the ORIGINAL backers have even received their devices seems like quite a slap in the face (and some of these were low order #'s, not recent funders). It really reflects poorly on them to be trying to do another device when they are taking days/weeks to respond to questions or issues of backers of their current device.
I wondered why they had taken down the link to the Ultimate reader, but if they are trying to launch a new one on a different service they won't be wanting all the negative feedback on the original to be easily found.

EDITED TO ADD:
Things that make you go hmmmm: poster on Indiegogo with order #135 wondering when they'll get their device. Meanwhile in the updates they are saying they can't provide any refunds for the next couple of months because all their capital is tied up since they just ordered another 100 units from their supplier. A cynical person would start to wonder if there was a ponzi scheme going on when order #'s in the 200's seem to have been delivered if people complained.
How does the funding with Indiegogo work? Do the campaigners get the money up front or only when they have delivered something? I'm assuming it would be all up front once they hit their target in most cases (I know I saw info that said it was possible to structure things different ways depending on the campaign).

Last edited by robko; 04-21-2017 at 06:13 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #409
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Mother's day 20020.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 04-21-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: That is not a typo.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:23 AM   #410
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone working on their 3rd hardware scam
It is going to retail for $199 and you can read your Kindle and Nook books. We believe that people should have the freedom to read e-books from any retailer they want
Are they saying that their reader is going to be natively capable of reading Amazon's proprietary ebook files? Because if what they mean is that you can convert to EPUB and read like you can do on any other reader then that's pretty damned misleading.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #411
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Are they saying that their reader is going to be natively capable of reading Amazon's proprietary ebook files? Because if what they mean is that you can convert to EPUB and read like you can do on any other reader then that's pretty damned misleading.
I think what they meant was that, because the device is running Android, you will be able to install apps from vendors such as Kindle and Kobo to read your books on this device.

Theoretically, that should be possible. However, if you look at the experience of some of their backers for their 13.3" campaign, you will find that some have not been able to get Kindle up and running. Others have been able to install an older version of the app, but it apparently does not run well.

The problem seems to be a combination of the older version of Android that device runs, along with the fact that many apps are not optimized for eink ereaders.

What version of Android will this new device be running? Guess we will just have to wait and see. However, I would be very wary about backing the campaign based on the user feedback I have seen from their 13.3" campaign which I have followed very closely.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #412
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I think what they meant was that, because the device is running Android, you will be able to install apps from vendors such as Kindle and Kobo to read your books on this device.

Theoretically, that should be possible. However, if you look at the experience of some of their backers for their 13.3" campaign, you will find that some have not been able to get Kindle up and running. Others have been able to install an older version of the app, but it apparently does not run well.

The problem seems to be a combination of the older version of Android that device runs, along with the fact that many apps are not optimized for eink ereaders.
Indeed. It was pretty much unusable on my Onyx T68.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #413
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The ultimate Reader would have to be larger than 6". Sorry, but they blew that one with only 6".
this is one of the most non-sense comments I've ever read here

we're talking about a device that finally allows for text size to be adjusted to the eyes and yet I often see people wanting larger or higher resolution screens so they can have more tiny text on screen at once so they can go back to the bad old days of eye squinting

makes no sense to me, but then there really are plenty of people wanting to read press-made, non-resizable static layout pdfs rather than buying ebooks...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #414
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
this is one of the most non-sense comments I've ever read here

we're talking about a device that finally allows for text size to be adjusted to the eyes and yet I often see people wanting larger or higher resolution screens so they can have more tiny text on screen at once so they can go back to the bad old days of eye squinting
A larger screen would allow one to make the text even larger than a 6" screen would. A number of people with weak eyesight have purchased or expressed interest in 13.3" eink ereaders for this very reason.

Higher resolution screens would make for a better viewing experience for those reading comics or reading ebooks with pictures.

Moreover, the 6.8" reader which Good e-Reader is currently touting also has very good note taking capabilities. A bigger screen with higher resolution would greatly improve the note-taking/drawing experience.

Personally, I think an 8" size would be perfect for this kind of device. Small enough to hold in one hand and carry about in a shoulder bag, big enough to make drawing or note-taking pleasurable.

My problem with the current device, apart from 6.8" being a bit small, is the people who are attempting to bring it to market based on their handling of their 13.3" campaign over on Indiegogo.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:06 PM   #415
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
OMG - 10 minutes later and I'm still chuckling over this gem that Goodereader posted about their 6.8" reader:

"Many companies such as Amazon and Kobo simply release devices and rely on external reviewers to post written and video content. Good e-Reader bucks this trend by providing everyone with the full scope of our product and how it handles digital content. The entire team wants to prove how great the Good e-Reader 6.8 really is."

Considering the quality of their reviews of other peoples products and their reputation I can't wait to see what they'll say about their own.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #416
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
OMG - 10 minutes later and I'm still chuckling over this gem that Goodereader posted about their 6.8" reader:

"Many companies such as Amazon and Kobo simply release devices and rely on external reviewers to post written and video content. Good e-Reader bucks this trend by providing everyone with the full scope of our product and how it handles digital content. The entire team wants to prove how great the Good e-Reader 6.8 really is."

Considering the quality of their reviews of other peoples products and their reputation I can't wait to see what they'll say about their own.
So basically everyone in the company wants you to think that the product that they make is really fantastic.

Even if they had a good reputation as a review site and didn't have the seriously questionable issues with their other device, I'd be rolling my eyes at a statement like this. Add those issues in and their less that horrible reviews of other products and instead of my eyes rolling in my head, I'm rolling on the ground.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:05 AM   #417
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
Does anyone have a link to any reviews of that 13.3'' device they made a while back? All I ever saw was a youtube video of someone getting annoyed and throwing the stylus at their device
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #418
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiieey View Post
Does anyone have a link to any reviews of that 13.3'' device they made a while back? All I ever saw was a youtube video of someone getting annoyed and throwing the stylus at their device
Haven't come across any thorough independent reviews of the device. However, in the thread about it in the Netronix section, one person claimed to own the device and posted the following comments:

Quote:
13.3 Inch Android
I have one of these devices. The biggest problem with it at the moment is the OS stability and the failure to keep the Play Store running. I have resorted to downloading older APK versions manually and transporting via SD Card to get the toy limping along. I think its going to take time as Goodreader are behaving as per their reputation from what I can see.

This is my experience to date. I thought you guys might be interested.

-----------
I have tried various versions of the google app store and various versions of google play services. All crash before I am able to perform updates or installs (have now given up with this)
I have found the Dolphin Browser from the GoodReader app store to be solid and reliable.
Amazon Kindle 4.8.0.188 works well for me so far
Evernote 7.2 seems to work ok and takes notes etc (I need to use it hard to test it). I wil try more recent versions.
Nova launcher is fun as the animations can be shut off but it really need a White theme (still looking)

As I now have a machine I can use I might try some other fun apps plus some productivity.

When the reader is running... ie between crashed... it is a great piece of kit. I do hope that the netronix team or goodereader can get the os stable and the Play Store functioning reliably.

Question.. does anyone have the Google Play Store working reliably?

The forum is a great idea but tricky to work with... and it seems to be down right now... hence reporting here.

Throughout this whole campaign the GoodEreader team have been really bad at updating. I am seeing the same consistent behaviour in the support threads. Some very simply question are not getting answered. This worries me.

The simplest of those questions is.. Will this device be getting a firmware upgrade to android 5.0? I wish to also ask.. Will this device be getting a firmware upgrade at all?
------------------

I think i can piece together a working useful machine with the right APK's. Bit lame but I can use it for what it was bought for. and a bit more.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=272106&page=4

I have also preserved some various other comments by frustrated backers in that thread as the folks at Good e-Reader had a tendency to delete them as soon as they popped up. Maybe that was because they were resolving those issues. But, then again, maybe not. You can draw your own inferences based on the way they handled and are handling that campaign.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #419
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post

Okay, I know from their reviews on YouTube that Michael at Good e-Reader is capable of some Palin-esque word salad. But if you hack through that quote, doesn't it boil down to saying that they will advertise their product on their site?

In what way is that new or innovative or even worth mentioning?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #420
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Looks like quite an impressive note-taker in the video.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodereader bad