Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #7861
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresden Files Box-Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Nice one, great discount. Way to go if you are new to the series.
My thoughts exactly, and the reason that I posted that information here!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #7862
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Book Review: Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Book Review: Storm Front by Jim Butcher
Posted on September 30, 2017 by Brandon Murray

He is a wizard. His name is Harry. He isn’t from Hogwarts.

In Storm Front, author Jim Butcher introduces the world to Harry Dresden, a private detective in Chicago who is also a wizard-for-hire.

When a series of bizarre, occult-style murders occur, the somewhat skeptical Chicago police department hires him as a consultant. He is soon thrust into a world of talking skulls, fairy informants who take bribes in pizza, and dangerous intrigue with supernatural creatures most people unknowingly encounter on a daily basis....for the rest of this review click HERE!

Advert
Old 12-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #7863
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files - Omnibus Vol. 1 - 2 (2015-2017)

Jim Butcher’s The Dresden Files – Omnibus Vol. 1 – 2 (2015-2017) : When criminal investigations take a weird turn, the officers of the Chicago Police Department call in Harry Dresden! A wizard and private investigator with formidable yet unrefined skills, the young Dresden is more than capable of tracking down and facing the perps, whether they be black magic practitioners, blood-hungry werewolves, or worse! Click HERE for the web site.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #7864
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Author Stories at Dragon Con – Jim Butcher Q&A Panel

Hank Garner
Published on Sep 7, 2017

This past weekend I attended Dragon Con in Atlanta. This is one of the largest sci-fi/fantasy and pop culture conventions in the U.S. All week I’ll be bringing you coverage from the con.

Jim Butcher is a frequent guest at Dragon Con and always draws a huge crowd. Listen in today as we bring you coverage of the "An Hour With Jim Butcher" panel. Also, listen to Jim's first appearance on Author Stories here.

About Jim Butcher:

Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resides mostly inside his own head, but his head can generally be found in his home town of Independence, Missouri.

Jim goes by the moniker Longshot in a number of online locales. He came by this name in the early 1990’s when he decided he would become a published author. Usually only 3 in 1000 who make such an attempt actually manage to become published; of those, only 1 in 10 make enough money to call it a living. The sale of a second series was the breakthrough that let him beat the long odds against attaining a career as a novelist.

All the same, he refuses to change his nickname.

Thanks to our Author Stories Executive Producers:
Jason Anspach & Nick Cole’s Galaxy’s Edge Will Swardstrom Doug Bradley Stefan Bolz Chris Pourteau Eamon Ambrose Rhett Bruno Crystal Watanabe Thomas Hickok Philip Harris Alexander Moore Christopher Valin Kat Fieler Patricia Gilliam Samuel Peralta Bob Williams Ed Gosney RobRoy McCandless James Slater Rory Donahoe Deborah Kappes-Cassidy Craig Martelle Aletia Meyers Micheal Nelson Chris Fox Richard Fox Jon Frater

Old 12-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #7865
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim Butcher, author of the Dresden Files series, answers Ten Terrifying Questions

The Booktopia Book Guru asks

Jim Butcher

author of Dresden Files Series
Ten Terrifying Questions

1. To begin with why don’t you tell us a little bit about yourself – where were you born? Raised? Schooled?

I was born, raised and schooled in Independence, Missouri, USA. My dad worked in a steel mill and my mom sold real estate, and I went to public school. After winning a National Merit Scholarship to the University of Oklahoma, I went down there for my college education, which is where I (eventually) learned about the craft of storytelling.

2. What did you want to be when you were twelve, eighteen and thirty? And why?

At 12, a singer, because I liked music. Around 18 I thought I’d go into computer programming because that was where the video games lived, but by the time I was 19 I had realized how tedious that kind of job would be for me. From there on, I wanted to be a writer, and that’s all I wanted to be.

...for the complete set of questions & answers click HERE!

Last edited by alansplace; 12-07-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Advert
Old 12-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #7866
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Author Stories Podcast Episode 61 | Jim Butcher Interview

Author Stories Podcast Episode 61 | Jim Butcher Interview

Hank Garner
Published on Oct 12, 2015

Author Hank Garner interviews Author Jim Butcher
http://hankgarner.com/episode-sixty-o...

Jim Butcher read his first fantasy novel when he was seven years old--
the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. By the time he turned eight,
he'd added the rest of the Narnia books, the Prydain Chronicles, every
book about Star Wars he could find, a great many Star Trek novels and
the Lord of the Rings to his count.

So he was pretty much doomed from the start.

Love of fantasy, his personal gateway drug, drew him toward a fairly
eclectic spread of interests: horseback riding (including trick riding,
stunt riding, drill riding, and competitive stunt racing), archery,
martial arts, costuming, music and theater. He played a lot of role-
playing games, a lot of fantasy-based tactical computer games, and
eventually got into live-action roleplay where players beat each other
up with boffer weapons.

So, really, he can fly his nerd flag with pretty much anyone, and
frequently does.

He took up writing to be able to produce fantasy novels with swords and
horses in them, and determinedly wrote terrible fantasy books until,
just to prove a point to his writing teacher, he decided to take every
piece of her advice; fill out outlines and worksheets, and design
stories and characters just the way she'd been telling him to do for
about three years. He was certain that once she saw what hideous art it
produced, she would be proven wrong and repent the error of her ways.
The result was the Dresden Files, which sure showed *her*.

She has not yet admitted her mistake and recanted her philosophy on
writing.

Jim has performed in dramas, musicals, and vocal groups in front of
live audiences of thousands and on TV. He has performed exhibition
riding in multiple arenas, and fallen from running horses a truly
ridiculous number of times. He was once cursed by an Amazon witch
doctor in rural Brazil, has apparently begun writing about himself in
the third person, and is hardly ever sick at sea.

He also writes books occasionally.

Jim stands accused of writing the Dresden Files and the Codex Alera.
He's plead insanity, but the jury is still out on that one. He lives in
Missouri with his wife, romantic suspense and paranormal romance writer
Shannon K. Butcher (who is really pretty and way out of his league),
his son, and a ferocious guard dog.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #7867
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim, Kitty, Priccilla, Mandy and some friends In Denver

Old 12-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #7868
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Anyone know if there is a plan for a new anthology like Side Jobs with all the short stories since? Preferably one that is Dresdenverse only. When I got into Dresden Side Jobs was already published. Maybe it was similiar for that one that they first appeared in other compilations before.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #7869
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Anyone know if there is a plan for a new anthology like Side Jobs with all the short stories since? Preferably one that is Dresdenverse only. When I got into Dresden Side Jobs was already published. Maybe it was similiar for that one that they first appeared in other compilations before.
It looks like Brief Cases is scheduled for next summer. I'm looking forward to it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #7870
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
It looks like Brief Cases is scheduled for next summer. I'm looking forward to it.
Ah, thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. I been out of the loop for quite a while. Maybe you noticed by my lack of posting anything since just recently.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #7871
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool lack of posting

Quote:
Ah, thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. I been out of the loop for quite a while. Maybe you noticed by my lack of posting anything since just recently.
Yeah, I sure have missed your presence here! Welcome back and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Last edited by alansplace; 12-12-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #7872
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Yeah, I sure have missed your presence here! Welcome back and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Merry Christmas to you too.

Good to be back. I wasn't even lurking. Life happened. I never stopped reading books - slowed down a lot, yes. The little bit of time I had I rather spend in a book than here.

The secret I have figured out is that there never is enough time for reading. Not as much as we would like. It is not something that is enjoyable for me as last resort to squeeze in after everything else is done that needs to be done. I go out of my way to make room for reading. And that works better to have reading as first (and usually only) choice of entertainment.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #7873
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Stuff...

Quote:

...and Amazon just added this page (release date June 5, 2018). LINK TO PAGE

Quote:
Merry Christmas to you too.

Good to be back. I wasn't even lurking. Life happened. I never stopped reading books - slowed down a lot, yes. The little bit of time I had I rather spend in a book than here.

The secret I have figured out is that there never is enough time for reading. Not as much as we would like. It is not something that is enjoyable for me as last resort to squeeze in after everything else is done that needs to be done. I go out of my way to make room for reading. And that works better to have reading as first (and usually only) choice of entertainment.
Good thoughts!

Last edited by alansplace; 12-13-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 AM   #7874
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

...and Amazon just added this page (release date June 5, 2018). LINK TO PAGE
Interesting that this has a page while Peace Talks doesn't yet that I could find.

ETA: Oh, looks like Brief Cases will be released before - which means that Peace Talks probably won't hit shelves until the end of 2018.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-14-2017 at 02:47 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #7875
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Yep!

Quote:
Interesting that this has a page while Peace Talks doesn't yet that I could find.

ETA: Oh, looks like Brief Cases will be released before - which means that Peace Talks probably won't hit shelves until the end of 2018.

Last edited by alansplace; 12-14-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy