Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Why, after all these years, is there still no easy way to manage collections?

I'm getting the new Oasis and faced with the task of trying to get my considerable amount of unread and non-Kindle content into collections on the new device. This either has to be done by adding each book individually to the collections I want, or "bulk adding" which will show each and every page of content as I move through to select the items I want.

To use cloud collections you need to upload all your non-Amazon content there, and I'm not sure how good of an idea that is. Also, every time I try to load a collection on amazon.com/myk with non-Amazon content in it, the wheel just spins and spins and won't show me a list.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to manage collections that doesn't involve jailbreaking? I can't believe there's not a better way...
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I don't have any problems getting them into collection...the e-books on Amazon that is. Its the Tap to DL then the Tap/Hold to hit the drop down to get it Off the Carousel. I agree there has to be a better way!

On my PW3 all I have to do is Tap the files to DL > Tap the e-books to DL> Reboot ALL ebooks are in the files.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 10-28-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I don't have any problems getting them into collection...the e-books on Amazon that is. Its the Tap to DL then the Tap/Hold to hit the drop down to get it Off the Carousel. I agree there has to be a better way!
I don't have a "problem" doing this either. I can do it. But I have a LOT of books, and there should be some way to mass-add them to collections. If you you could hide books already in a collection in the "books" view, that would be easier. So you can't. If I have 25 pages of books, I have to go through all 25 pages for each collection to add books to them. This is absurdly inefficient.

Quote:
On my PW3 all I have to do is Tap the files to DL > Tap the e-books to DL> Reboot ALL ebooks are in the files.
I'm really unsure of what you're referring to here.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
36 pages of Authors 500+ pages of e-books ... Some folks on MR have tons more!

Oasis is Amazon ...e-books are on your Amazon account. Once Downloaded collection & e-books reboot ....now they are in the collection. No need to put in collection 1 at a time.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:15 AM   #5
HBH_AU
Enthusiast
HBH_AU began at the beginning.

Device: KV
Sadly, the only way to achieve this efficiently, as far as I know (& I have looked far and wide for an answer) is to jailbreak the device. Then Calibre, Kindle Collections & a plugin like Library Sync make it an absolute dream.

I would love to get the new Oasis - would buy it in a heartbeat - IF it could be jailbroken. But I won't. Because I want to manage my library in an efficient manner!

Yes I know books can be emailed to my account but, apart from wading through endless pages online for eleventy billion books, I also use Calibre's plugboards to help manage my library & don't want to lose that functionality.

Perhaps what really drives me nuts is Amazon's approach, which I believe Kovid termed 'the boiling frog' approach. That is, step by step, functionality we had access to is being sealed off from us. Perhaps if it had been sandboxed from the start it wouldn't be so aggravated, but to go from having an efficient way to manage Collections on earlier Kindles (using Calibre & Kindle Collections plugin) to losing that for a much, much more cumbersome system is really infuriating.

Oops, didn't mean to rant. And sorry I can't help with your query - I totally empathise, I went through the same thing. Here's really, really hoping that the awesome folks here at MR are able to jailbreak the latest FW at some point, because then that Oasis will be straight in my shopping cart
HBH_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:35 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I made a point of putting all our books (DH and mine) into cloud collections right from the start. Personal document ebooks and Amazon ebooks. It's a process that's automatic now so I don't have to wade through pages of books to get to I want. I agree it's a pain to start with if you have a lot of books, but it pays dividends now.

I don't need a jailbreak to manage this, or a Calibre plugboard, I simply put a new kindle book into the right collection, then match the collection when I load the books into Calibre. Between us DH and I have 63 collections.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:51 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want to manage collections without having to jailbreak, you’ll have to get a different Reader. Amazon once had easy collection management but too many stupid people deleted the files from the device and the asked Amazon for help.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I made a point of putting all our books (DH and mine) into cloud collections right from the start. Personal document ebooks and Amazon ebooks. It's a process that's automatic now so I don't have to wade through pages of books to get to I want. I agree it's a pain to start with if you have a lot of books, but it pays dividends now.

I don't need a jailbreak to manage this, or a Calibre plugboard, I simply put a new kindle book into the right collection, then match the collection when I load the books into Calibre. Between us DH and I have 63 collections.
I agree, once I got into the habit of saving every book into at least one collection, it is easy enough to maintain. My most common use case is mass adding newly downloaded parts editions of Delphi Classics, but once I've emailed them to my device, I can add them all to, say, my 19th century literature collection by going into the collection, pressing add/remove, and reordering them into most recent first, then ticking them all. It could be a little easier, but it was fine once I'd worked out how to do this. I don't use Calibre, largely because I don't have a Windows device.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
I don't use Calibre, largely because I don't have a Windows device.
What o/s do you use? Calibre runs on Windows, Mac and Linux.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #10
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What o/s do you use? Calibre runs on Windows, Mac and Linux.
I use a Chromebook.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
I use a Chromebook.
Ah. Fair enough. Pity - Calibre is, for me, an indispensable library manager.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #12
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ah. Fair enough. Pity - Calibre is, for me, an indispensable library manager.
Yes, I understand that and I do wish I could use it. I have googled various threads exploring whether it can be made to work on a Chromebook, to no avail. The other advantages of Chromebooks win out for me. And I do use online software to convert epubs or other formats into mobis, which works very well.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #13
whitearrow
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Oasis is Amazon ...e-books are on your Amazon account. Once Downloaded collection & e-books reboot ....now they are in the collection. No need to put in collection 1 at a time.
More than half my books come from sources other than Amazon. That's the issue.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
More than half my books come from sources other than Amazon. That's the issue.
There is a solution if you're willing to give up your Kindle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #15
whitearrow
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a solution if you're willing to give up your Kindle.
I'm not. This is my only complaint about the Kindle.