Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Lots to look into.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Give Patrica Briggs books a look. Mercy Thompson series. Female protagonist, but really good urban fantasy.

Tanya Huff 'Blood' series is also fun (IMHO better than what they did to it for TV)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Tanya Huff 'Blood' series is also fun (IMHO better than what they did to it for TV)
Mercedes Lackey - Dianna Tregard
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:35 AM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Mercedes Lackey - Dianna Tregard
That was her first urban fantasy and a pretty good series (very hard to find until just recently), she also had the Bedlam's Bard series that started in 1990 and ran through 2005. Plus the Serrated Edge series in the early 1990's. Both are somewhat lighter than the current Urban Fantasy and lack the romance elements of the current UF.

http://www.mercedeslackey.com/biblio_series.html
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:46 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Another good series is Tom Deitz's David Sullivan series, written in the late 80's, early 90's. The seriers is also known as the Windmaster's Bane series, after the first book in it (Windmaster's Bane). The books have been hard to find since Deitz died back in 2007, but they are just now coming back as ebooks. The first two are already out.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2014, 02:43 AM   #21
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
War for the Oaks is one of my favorite books.
War for the Oaks is great.

As for the series why don't you try Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko? It's 5 books total and it's really good.

And if you like Harry Dresden, maybe look into Garret Files series by Glen Cook? That one has 14 books.

Or how about Charles de Lint and his Newford series?
Best reading order according to the author:
Spoiler:
  1. Dreams Underfoot*
  2. The Dreaming Place
  3. A Whisper To A Scream (originally credited to "Samuel M. Key")
  4. I'll Be Watching You (originally credited to "Samuel M. Key")
  5. Memory And Dream
  6. The Ivory And The Horn
  7. Trader*
  8. Someplace To Be Flying
  9. Moonlight And Vines
  10. Forests Of The Heart
  11. The Onion Girl*
  12. Seven Wild Sisters (also available in Tapping the Dream Tree)
  13. Tapping the Dream Tree
  14. Spirits in the Wires
  15. Medicine Road
  16. The Blue Girl
  17. Widdershins
  18. Make a Joyful Noise (chapbook)
  19. The Hour Before Dawn (collection)
  20. Old Man Crow (chapbook)
  21. Little (Grrl) Lost (novel)
  22. Promises to Keep (short novel)
  23. Dingo (short novel)
  24. Muse & Reverie (collection, forthcoming)
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #22
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Charles de Lint's Moonheart is great. He tends to do a lot of urban fantasy stories.

Raymond Feist's Faerie Tale? I guess that's within the genre.

James Herbert's Once...
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #23
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Holly Lisle's Devils Point series is also a fun urban fantasy, the same sort of humor level as Tanya Huff's Keeper's Chronicles series.

Also, if you can find a copy, Sandra Brewer's "Murder For Beltene: A Beltene Family Mystery (...Dressed Like A Mystery, With Fantasy Lingerie)".

Liz Williams' "Nine Layers of Sky"
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #24
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Surebleak - what a brilliant name for a place! I had to Google it. I'm going to investigate the books, they look interesting.

Sorry for going ot. Carry on regardless
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
Raymond Feist's Faerie Tale? I guess that's within the genre.
Just don't read his other books...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:49 AM   #26
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
Surebleak - what a brilliant name for a place! I had to Google it. I'm going to investigate the books, they look interesting.

Sorry for going ot. Carry on regardless
Check out the "Liaden Fans Help Me Out" thread in the Reading Recommendations forum here, if you have any questions.

(I'm typing this on my Kindle HDX and I haven't yet figured out how to copy and paste with its keyboard, so I couldn't post the link. )
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Check out the "Liaden Fans Help Me Out" thread in the Reading Recommendations forum here, if you have any questions.

(I'm typing this on my Kindle HDX and I haven't yet figured out how to copy and paste with its keyboard, so I couldn't post the link. )
Linky...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132919
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #28
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Sarah Rees Brennan has written a really good urban fantasy triology, starting with The Demon's Lexicon.

She wrote about it in the Big Idea series on Scalzi's blog:
Quote:
We’ve all read about That Guy. You know the one. Tall, dark and largely silent. Mad, bad, and dangerous to know. ...

High fantasy and urban fantasy and paranormal romance and all the slip-sliding books in between, he’s there: tall, dark, silent and surly, knowing a lot more about everything that’s going on than the hapless protagonist and usually, since to live in a genre novel is to live in interesting times, excellent with any weapon to hand.

He’s become so popular that he’s been watered down: mad, bad and dangerous to know becoming ‘Seems a little mean at first, but on the look-out for love: particularly enjoys long walks on the beach and talking about his feelings!’ On my four hundredth go-round with a book involving Mr Tall, Dark and Diet I thought to myself that someone should bring the original undiluted version back, and really think about what made him compelling and made him tick. And that we shouldn’t be seeing it from the point of view of a girl much taken with the muscular thighs and meanness, or a guy haplessly protagonisting behind Mr Tall and Dark’s sword, but from inside the head of That Guy, to see what he was thinking.

Besides ‘why does everyone else talk so much,’ I mean.
There's a free short story from the same world here http://sarahtales.livejournal.com/164555.html#cutid1 (but beware of her other free stories from the same world, they are seriously spoiling for the first book).
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #29
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
...and she's also wirtten a really good rural fantasy triology (yeah, I know, that's not a genre -- I'm talking about an urban fantasy (our world with magic), but taking place in a small English village, not a big city): Lynburn Legacy, starting with Unspoken.

She writes about it:
Quote:
So, I wanted to write a Gothic mystery. But I wanted to make it new: I wanted to make it mine.

I started thinking, though, that children have to move where their parents bring them. And, since I love the reversal of a trope about as much as a gothic heroine loves a house, I decided to make my gothic heroine … a boy.

Now, I don’t mean I wanted to make him a gothic hero. Gothic heroes are always in the know about everything and keeping quiet, apparently to be annoying mofos, and also are always wenching around Europe (a fine time to be sure, but the poor lad’s only seventeen). I wanted to give the usual business of a gothic heroine, alone, unloved, transplanted into a sinister Gothic manor and kept in the dark about many a shady family secret, to a boy character. And well, yes, okay, I threw in a little brooding gothic hero business too for good measure. And lo, I got Jared Lynburn, lunatic, secret romantic and twitchy dude ready to deck you at a moment’s notice for asking the time.

But since he was going to be an outsider to the little English town which the Gothic manor overlooks, I wanted to write about an insider, someone who knew Sorry-in-the-Vale and all its inhabitants. (Think about it: the villagers clearly know there’s something up with Count Dracula. ‘He tips really well when he brings the castle linen to the drycleaner’s, but we are so tired of him kidnapping the children and feeding them to wolves.’)

And the heroine should be someone capable of unravelling a Gothic mystery. This is the point where two genres collided in my head with a glorious smash: Gothics and lady sleuths.

I like me some Lois Lane: I like me some Miss Marple. I like me some Nancy Drew, and the women behind these creations, and the women these creations were based on.

Girls who are indomitable, who like mysteries, who go toward the creepy sound in the cellars or the dark doings in the woods because they want to report on it.

The more Gothic mysteries I read, the more I thought we needed someone like that around.

Enter Kami Glass, brand new editor of the school newspaper, intrepid girl reporter, goofball (because what sinister mystery would not be improved by a little humour, this stuff is funny, you all read what someone did with a house…), becoming very concerned about a) actual screaming going on in the woods outside her town, b) everyone in town, including her own mother, acting fifty shades of shady, and c) how it all links up with the Lynburn family, who just arrived back in their ancestral manor after a 17-year absence.

Murder. Magic. Petty crime in the cause of great justice. Love, fear and live burial. Very embarrassing psychic links. Really suspicious architecture.
Two free prequel short stories (PDF): The Spring Before I Met You and The Summer Before I Met You
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #30
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Sarah Rees Brennan has written a really good urban fantasy triology, starting with The Demon's Lexicon.
...and she's also wirtten a really good rural fantasy triology (yeah, I know, that's not a genre -- I'm talking about an urban fantasy (our world with magic), but taking place in a small English village, not a big city): Lynburn Legacy, starting with Unspoken.
Sounds like I have a new author to investigate, thanks
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote