Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Aura won't start--hardware reset?

My Aura will turn on, but it never gets past the 5 little squares that go from white to black. I did a pinhole reset, but it goes through one round of the little squares turning from white to black and stops. It's been sitting here for an hour now... As far as I can tell, I can't do a factory reset unless the damn thing turns on and goes to the home page. How on earth can I reset this thing if it won't go to the home page? Thanks for any help.
icallaci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
don't know if it will work, but have you tried resetting the unit while it is plugged into a power source? i had an incident where i could not even reset it until i plugged it into a power source.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That worked! Thank you SO much!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
moofychops
Connoisseur
moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Now Have Aura One and ClaraHD
A very useful tip that rem736.
Ron
moofychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by moofychops View Post
A very useful tip that rem736.
Ron
maybe the moderators could add this to list of "kobo tips"?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
icallaci
Guru

I should mention that I had just fully charged my Aura, so I didn't even think to plug it in when it wouldn't boot, but it worked. Whew. Relief. Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
I have same issue and resetting it while powered on is not working. Are there any other suggestions?
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Have you tried doing a factory reset using this method:
  • hold the power button slider in the "on" position for 20-30 seconds,
  • release it,
  • hold the light button down and use the power button slider to turn it on while continuing to press the light buttom.

All of your settings and the sideloaded epubs added into main memory will be gone after this. You will have a new and empty database. You will be starting over like with a new device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
I have same issue and resetting it while powered on is not working. Are there any other suggestions?
Did you mean resetting while plugged in? Resetting while powered on didn't work for me. I had to plug it in and then do a pinhole reset.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
  • release it,
  • hold the light button down and use the power button slider to turn it on while continuing to press the light buttom.

All of your settings and the sideloaded epubs added into main memory will be gone after this. You will have a new and empty database. You will be starting over like with a new device.
Thanks! That worked.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Glad I could help. It's the go-to-method-of-last-resort when plugging into the wall, pin resets, etc just don't do it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
Popple
Popple is a marvel to beholdPopple is a marvel to beholdPopple is a marvel to beholdPopple is a marvel to beholdPopple is a marvel to beholdPopple is a marvel to beholdPopple is a marvel to beholdPopple is a marvel to beholdPopple is a marvel to beholdPopple is a marvel to beholdPopple is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Smile Thanks for your help

Quote:
  • release it,

THANK YOU! I was about to bring it back to the store until I saw your tip.

https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif
Popple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Glad I could help. It's the go-to-method-of-last-resort when plugging into the wall, pin resets, etc just don't do it.
You could add going to "Settings">"Account" and logging out, to your list of things to try before the full factory reset.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:17 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You could add going to "Settings">"Account" and logging out, to your list of things to try before the full factory reset.
Ummm... Ken, the advice about doing a hardware factory reset is generally given as the last resort. Something to try when your Kobo won't even finish booting.

In this case, Hoyt Clagwell was unable to get past the boot screen which makes it rather hard to log out.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #15
m0kette
m0kette began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
  • release it,

I created an account just in order to say that you are just A GOD !
This hard reset is mentioned nowhere, just the hard reset via the interface Menu zzz.
And it worked just perfectly (my screen was just reverse and my kobo was rebooting indefinitely after a database suppression ...)
m0kette is offline   Reply With Quote