Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #16
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I always use my pc to move things to and from my phones. It is simply quicker that way since everything shows up on the monitor.

On one of my phones since I only have 8gb, I decided to move all of my books over to the sd card, which also holds all my music. I created a My Ebooks file on the card then copied all of them over. It took a while even with the pc since I had over 1600 books to put on it.

Once that was done, I had to import them to Moonreader pro and tell it where to find my books. It required me going into the options setting and telling Moon to always look in the /mnt/extSdcard/my ebooks folder.

So that's how I do it. From pc, to my ebooks folder on the sd card to telling Moon to import from the card.

For me, the pc certainly has made my life easier!

Last edited by cfrizz; 04-04-2018 at 07:21 PM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:59 AM   #17
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That'll be $100 for 32GB, sucker. -Apple

J/k. I use iPads as I have yet to find a tablet that fits me quite as well (yes, I actually do want a tablet and not a laptop alternative). The upcharge for storage is killer, though. I always opt for highest capacity and the 512GB LTE 12.9 almost cost $1500 after taxes and AppleCare+.
I have been a Windows user exclusively since version 3.0 or 3.1. But I gave an Apple iPad a try three or four months ago. I just couldn't get used to it. It seemed like I caught on a lot faster how to use the Android OS, used on the phone that I had purchased several months earlier. So, I stayed with the Android smartphone, even though the small screen is/was frustrating to use.

Besides, can you make a telephone call on an iPad? I dunno. If so, it would be very inconvenient to do it (to me, it's bad enough using a smartphone). If not, it seems that you'd have to carry a phone around with you along with the iPad.

Yeah, that was a bad joke on my part. I'm a confirmed Windows/Android user, price considerations aside.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-05-2018 at 02:15 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:13 AM   #18
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I always use my pc to move things to and from my phones. It is simply quicker that way since everything shows up on the monitor.

On one of my phones since I only have 8gb, I decided to move all of my books over to the sd card, which also holds all my music. I created a My Ebooks file on the card then copied all of them over. It took a while even with the pc since I had over 1600 books to put on it.

Once that was done, I had to import them to Moonreader pro and tell it where to find my books. It required me going into the options setting and telling Moon to always look in the /mnt/extSdcard/my ebooks folder.

So that's how I do it. From pc, to my ebooks folder on the sd card to telling Moon to import from the card.
Sounds very interesting--I think that I'll try that since I've still had no success using the smartphone by itself to move files from internal storage to external storage. And I don't know that I have room in internal storage for an app that would accomplish the same thing (e.g., the ES FileExplorer, or FileExplorer ES, that someone suggested early on).

But as many years as smartphones have been around, it looks like the task that I'm trying to accomplish would be straightforward and easy--"what file do you want to move? to where do you want to move it? job done."

Quote:
For me, the pc certainly has made my life easier!
It's made mine immeasurably easier, too. And more productive, more connected socially, etc. I get down on computers only when I'm experiencing some frustrating problem that I'm having trouble working through, like this one.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:01 AM   #19
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great, let me know if it works.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I have been a Windows user exclusively since version 3.0 or 3.1. But I gave an Apple iPad a try three or four months ago. I just couldn't get used to it. It seemed like I caught on a lot faster how to use the Android OS, used on the phone that I had purchased several months earlier. So, I stayed with the Android smartphone, even though the small screen is/was frustrating to use.

Besides, can you make a telephone call on an iPad? I dunno. If so, it would be very inconvenient to do it (to me, it's bad enough using a smartphone). If not, it seems that you'd have to carry a phone around with you along with the iPad.

Yeah, that was a bad joke on my part. I'm a confirmed Windows/Android user, price considerations aside.
With Wi-Fi calling enabled on the iPhone and Continuity features, I actually do use my iPad for answering calls (mostly because it's what I already have on hand) and messages (both SMS/MMS and iMessage).

I much prefer the larger displays on tablets for web browsing, manga/comics, etc, so carrying two devices doesn't really bother me. Heck, I usually carry at least three - iPhone (in jacket pocket weather permitting, purse otherwise), Paperwhite 3, and iPad Pro 9.7. On workdays, PW3 is optional but I carry the iPad Pro 12.9 (in a work tote that's much bigger than my purses).

I tried going the Android route 5-6 years ago but the tablet selection was abysmal. The ones I could find that had 4:3 displays performed much worse and had extremely poor battery life compared to even the much maligned iPad 3. That affected my choice of smartphone since the iPhone integrates so much better with the iPad (aforementioned Continuity). I'm still a Windows user but after 10+ years, I'm quite entrenched in iOS for mobile.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #21
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
I'm not going to try calling with iPad. Not to start a war, but Android has far more choice in the apps I want. I figure the phone is there for MY convenience, no matter what the rest of the world thinks. If I want to read, I want to read and be left alone to enjoy myself.

The iPad will let me download episodes of a craft show to watch later which I like. I can take the iPad to what I'm doing. Android doesn't do this, nor does it seem to have any kind of a vector drawing app. I looked through the whole app store for iPad and didn't find as much as Android has. I pay for the apps and glad to.

I prefer to carry as little as possible. Android does have astronomy, birding, flower, tree apps for nature study, you can get PDFs of directions for photography not to mention your camera manual. You can also get road logs for geological study while driving the National Parks. That's quite a bit for a 6 inch or so device.

TMO has had wifi calling forever. I remember it on flip phones. I just need to find out if a certain phone is supported as I'd love to get the other half an iPad so he can chat with his kid in the UK via Viber. He uses a flip phone which won't install Viber, and doesn't like typing on the flip, nor does he like typing on my phone. I wind up in conversations between them. Can also use iPad for a Roku remote.

Neither one of us cares to read on a tablet. We both prefer the lit, flatter screens of dedicated ereaders.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #22
cfrizz
Wizard

Quote:
Sounds very interesting--I think that I'll try that since I've still had no success using the smartphone by itself to move files from internal storage to external storage. And I don't know that I have room in internal storage for an app that would accomplish the same thing (e.g., the ES FileExplorer, or FileExplorer ES, that someone suggested early on).

But as many years as smartphones have been around, it looks like the task that I'm trying to accomplish would be straightforward and easy--"what file do you want to move? to where do you want to move it? job done."

It's made mine immeasurably easier, too. And more productive, more connected socially, etc. I get down on computers only when I'm experiencing some frustrating problem that I'm having trouble working through, like this one.

Thanks for your help.
Did you give it a try and did it work?
Old 04-09-2018, 11:13 PM   #23
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Great, let me know if it works.
Quote:
Did you give it a try and did it work?
I finally started work on it today.

Once I install Moonreader Pro, that you mentioned, it should be simple (but not easy) to transfer files, from the sound of it.

Now, where should I look for Moon? Is it a free/shareware program, or is one that you have to buy?

Sorry to take so long to reply.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #24
cfrizz
Wizard

You can get the paid for version or the free version from Google. Once it is purchased, all future updates are free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ft.moonreaderp

Last edited by cfrizz; 04-10-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #25
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You can get the paid for version or the free version from Google. Once it is purchased, all future updates are free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ft.moonreaderp
Thanks. Of course, I could have done a search and saved you the trouble of telling me.

I was almost praying that this is not an app, but a program that I could install on my PC, where I've got plenty of room. I had to uninstall yet another app from the dumbphone this morning, just so the phone could operate! I'll have to uninstall at least one more to be able to install this new app. Oh well, I can re-install everything after I move a bunch of stuff to the SD card.

I think that I'll try the basic version of "Moon+ Reader" first, in hope that it won't be as much of a resource hog as the Pro version. I notice that both the basic and the Pro versions are in beta. Usually, I'd be a little wary, but both have scorching hot ratings.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Give me a day or two.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:06 AM   #26
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I notice that both the basic and the Pro versions are in beta. Usually, I'd be a little wary, but both have scorching hot ratings.
I never noticed that the App says beta. I gave this app a 5 star review 5 years ago and it has simply gotten better since then. The creator still calling it beta at this point seems silly.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #27
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I never noticed that the App says beta. I gave this app a 5 star review 5 years ago and it has simply gotten better since then. The creator still calling it beta at this point seems silly.
Thanks for the additional accolades for the app. From watching the video and reading up on it, it doesn't seem to be exactly what I need. But right now I just need something that works. I'm going to take it on a test drive and see what I can get it to do.

I wondered, too, how an app with such good ratings could still be in beta. Maybe the developers are perfectionists. More likely, I think, it is a public relations concern--if, by some unforeseen circumstance, there was a bug to appear, they could always could come back with a, "well, we said that it was in beta (so you shouldn't be that surprised)." My best guess.

So, what have you used Moon for? Is it the same thing that I'm trying to accomplish, or something else?

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-11-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #28
cfrizz
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks. Of course, I could have done a search and saved you the trouble of telling me.

I was almost praying that this is not an app, but a program that I could install on my PC, where I've got plenty of room. I had to uninstall yet another app from the dumbphone this morning, just so the phone could operate! I'll have to uninstall at least one more to be able to install this new app. Oh well, I can re-install everything after I move a bunch of stuff to the SD card.

I think that I'll try the basic version of "Moon+ Reader" first, in hope that it won't be as much of a resource hog as the Pro version. I notice that both the basic and the Pro versions are in beta. Usually, I'd be a little wary, but both have scorching hot ratings.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Give me a day or two.
All of your ebooks should already be on your pc, then it is simply a matter of putting a new file on the sd card in the phone of the same name and copying the books from the pc to the sd card. Then telling Moonreader to go find all the books in that location.

The whole point is taking your library with you where ever you go!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:52 PM   #29
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
All of your ebooks should already be on your pc, then it is simply a matter of putting a new file on the sd card in the phone of the same name and copying the books from the pc to the sd card. Then telling Moonreader to go find all the books in that location.

The whole point is taking your library with you where ever you go!
Okay, I'm about to give it a try. I may need some hand holding (figuratively speaking, of course).

I'll install the app tonight and give 'er a try tomorrow morning.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:13 AM   #30
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Would you believe that I just now uninstalled _three_ apps on the dumbphone, but the amount of "storage" in the "settings" area of the apps still shows 15.72 gb used of the 16 gb in the internal storage? I'm going to install Moon on the PC and see if it can help me figure out what's going on.