Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2015, 03:31 AM   #1
WrinklyWink
WrinklyWink began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Question Looking for advice as to where to start with my Aura

Hello, I'm new here but I've been browsing around for the last 2 weeks. To be honest, its kinda messy here because there is a lot of information. I was drawn here after I was upset that the Nickel software couldn't handle PDFs in a satisfactory manner. Then I discovered Koreader (Thank you!!) but I find myself draining the battery quickly because I can't properly sleep/turn off my device. Which brings me to many questions.

The first is how do I update past 3.12.0? This is the version which Kobo updated my device to. When I look at the links here I see that the FW versions go past 3.12.0 yet they're based on older months, while 3.12.0 proudly states its from December. How is this even possible?
Then it tells me certain versions are for the "New" Aura (Mark 5). How do I tell the difference? I know of the different models (Aura HD, Touch, Glo, etc) but as far as I know I always thought there was one version of the Aura non-hd. Can someone clarify upon this?

Currently I'm using KSM v6, which is great and all but its really not user friendly. I ended up installing Koreader shortly thereafter but I can't use a version past 2014.04.14, which upsets me because the newer versions of Koreader has nice features like open last book, and possibly a better sleep function? After much irritation I scrapped KSM and tried ADVboot but that couldn't load the newer builds of Koreader either.
Is it because I'm using an older version of the firmware?

I was able to try to vlasovsoftlauncher, which actually has a nice user interface but Coolreader's PDF support is absent! (or am I doing something wrong?)

I'll be honest; my experience with hacking devices is from loading custom-firmwares into my psp, and jailbreaking the iphone original & 4, but I'm always weary about loading the most recent version on my kobo because I fear that it will lock my device away from ever doing the fancy stuff (like using koreader, etc)

What is the latest version I should update my Kobo Aura to in order to use the latest version of koreader?

Or is Koreader just blotched when it comes to the Kobo Aura?

Questions in review:

How do I update the firmware on my Kobo Aura?
Why are the Firmware versions backwards when it comes to the months released?
Are the multiple versions of the Kobo Aura?
Are the Koreader versions newer than 2014.04.14 not working because I'm using FW 3.12.0?
Does Coolreader have PDF support?
If I update to the latest version of the Kobo Firmware (3.8.0) will I kill the ability to use Koreader?
What is the best version to update my Kobo Aura to (in order to keep the most hacking functionality?)

I thank you for your time in advance. And if I manage to be very successful I'll will write a guide up as I've done so in the past with installing Macintosh on a pc (aka hackintosh).

sincerely,
Alan aka WrinklyWink
aka ihavearedcouch aka Alanin4D

Last edited by WrinklyWink; 01-03-2015 at 03:43 AM. Reason: spelling error in title
WrinklyWink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:49 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'll just answer the questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrinklyWink View Post
Questions in review:

How do I update the firmware on my Kobo Aura?
Either wait for Kobo to release newer firmware or read the thread you linked to above. It has instructions for manually installing the firmware.
Quote:
Why are the Firmware versions backwards when it comes to the months released?
Because it is not. The version numbers have no relationship to when they were released. Except that the higher the number, the more recent it was. FW 3.12.0 is the most recently released version. The "12" in the version number and being released in December is a fluke. The next version is probably going to be "3.13.0".
Quote:
Are the multiple versions of the Kobo Aura?
Not that we know of. The "New Aura" tag came about because it was released after the "Aura HD". It was used as a way to distinguish them, because when the Aura HD was released, a lot of people just called it "Aura". When the Aura was actually released, people needed to distinguish which they were talking about. You will also see it described as the "Aura6".

And based on the way that Kobo release the firmware, if the update the Aura, it will still use the same firmware installation package.
Quote:
Are the Koreader versions newer than 2014.04.14 not working because I'm using FW 3.12.0?
Does Coolreader have PDF support?
If I update to the latest version of the Kobo Firmware (3.8.0) will I kill the ability to use Koreader?
Sorry, I don't use Koreader or CoolReader, so I can't help
Quote:
What is the best version to update my Kobo Aura to (in order to keep the most hacking functionality?)[/B]
Probably 3.12.0. That's the latest version and the on people are working with at the moment.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just remember that the Aura is NOT the best platform to hack. Unlike most other Kobo devices there is NO internal SD card, meaning that if you muck things up, you can't remove the SD card card and re-image it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
WrinklyWink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Just remember that the Aura is NOT the best platform to hack. Unlike most other Kobo devices there is NO internal SD card, meaning that if you muck things up, you can't remove the SD card card and re-image it.
I understand, but as of now its the smallest and lightest ereader you can find with a high dpi screen, I'm not looking for something too complicated, I'm just looking for the ability to run the latest build of koreader..
Old 01-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
I'm just looking for the ability to run the latest build of koreader..
When you say that you can't install anything by 2014.04.14, what do you mean?

You can obtain the latest version here: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases

Since you have an older version installed:
Start your Aura in nickle, connect it to your computer.
Remove the old koreader folder from the .kobo folder.
Copy the new koreader folder into the .kobo folder.

Now you should be able to restart your Aura in KSM and launch koreader.

This process should be fairly safe since it doesn't affect KSM or nickle, but there is always a greater risk with unsupported modifications.

If it is producing error messages or koreader doesn't start, please let us know what's happening and perhaps we can give more meaningful help.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
WrinklyWink

I did what you suggested and when I select koreader it stalls for a couple seconds, then refreshes blank and then refreshes black and refreshes blank again and then it goes back to the KSM screen. attached are the crash logs. the first one was in the koreader folder, second was in my .Lbrary. folder. I added the extension txt to the end to make it uploadable.
Attached Files
File Type: txt crash.log.txt (893 Bytes, 229 views)
File Type: txt crash2.log.txt (85 Bytes, 226 views)
Old 01-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The launchers (KSM6 and AdvBoot) have more impact on the stock code (and that is minor and restricted to a single startup script), than Koreader which makes no changes to the stock code. It does make some use of the stock routines, so the Kobo firmware can impact koreader, koreader doesn't impact the Kobo firmware.

The current Koreader build should run, no matter what firmware is installed. Any lack of performance or function resulting from a version incompatibility would be restricted to the functions Koreader uses/calls from the Kobo firmware, (like sleep, frontlight, Wifi, ect...). In other words, Koreader should run fine, except that such a function may not work properly, all the rest should be ok. The GitHub Koreader team has been very quick at addressing any such problems.

The device specific problems, when they arise, are often the hardest to track down. I am not sure if there are any such still being addressed for the Aura 6". You might check at the project pulse page

. And click on Issues.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did what you suggested and when I select koreader it stalls for a couple seconds, then refreshes blank and then refreshes black and refreshes blank again and then it goes back to the KSM screen. attached are the crash logs. the first one was in the koreader folder, second was in my .Lbrary. folder. I added the extension txt to the end to make it uploadable.
There is a patch to KSM that addresses the change in file naming for the script that starts koreader. It is the one that calls reader.lua and brings up the file manager, starting koreader. KSM6 already includes the code to use the new naming, but your crash logs suggest otherwise.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #9
WrinklyWink

I don't know what to say except for the fact that I'm extremely confused about my ksm.. I applied the additional update01b as included. Should I have done it as a partial or full update? Should I do a factory reset? I mean if I had to start from scratch to get koreader to work what should I do exactly?

Last edited by WrinklyWink; 01-03-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
I don't know what to say except for the fact that I'm extremely confused about my ksm.. Should I do a factory reset? I mean if I had to start from scratch to get koreader to work what should I do exactly?
There are uninstall instructions and scripts, here. be sure to read and follow the info provided on that page.

A factory reset may be your best bet, you would then let Kobo install the current firmware for your model. You might want to uninstall KSM first.

Then follow the instructions to install KSM6, on that page, and then the update to KSM6. After all that, you just download the current Koreader package and copy, just the "koreader" folder, into the ".kobo" directory on your device.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
WrinklyWink

IT WORKS. IT WORKS IT WORKS!! omg everything is great about this release, there are SO many features, the ebook sleeps on the pdf cover even!! THIS IS SO GREAT! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

It wasn't working for a bit but after I had KSM reboot, it worked. so rebooting was a final crucial step.

Lastly I don't think that copying the folders over via teracopy was a good idea, it left out some of the empty folders.. so I used another folder copier program..
Old 01-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #12
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Lastly I don't think that copying the folders over via teracopy was a good idea, it left out some of the empty folders.. so I used another folder copier program..
That's strange...
I use Teracopy all the time.
Never had a problem like that with koreader.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #13
WrinklyWink

disable sleep cover functions?

I reacted too fast. Koreader is waking itself out of sleep by itself now and figured out why; it's too sensitive to magnets and metal. I frequently carry my Bluetooth keyboard and aura together and the keyboard will unsleep the aura simply from being in close proximity (the keyboard has a magnetic detachable cover/device stand). Is there any way to disable the sleep cover in koreader? This is causing my battery to drain faster than usual.

Last edited by WrinklyWink; 01-05-2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: spelling errors fix

Tags
3.12, aura, koreader, ksm