Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 12-19-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Do they exist? - Jogging/biking earphones that allow you to hear outside sounds?

We all know that shutting out noise with headphones is not safe if you are driving, jogging, biking or sitting with your sig other when she has something to say. But suppose you want to listen to music or an audiobook safely.

Is there any product that allows you to listen while still hearing the outside world? Something that is not unlike turning on a stereo in a room at a reasonable volume -- you hear the music but you also hear the room. But which won't be too disturbing to others near you.

One thought is headphones/earphones that hang just below the ear so they don't block sound. But all the ones I know about that can be adjusted that way, either don't stay in place or are really bad sound from even a short distance from the ear.

Anyone know of such a product?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Just turn the volume down a bit...? A work I use in-ear head-phones with sound turned down. Running, I tend to use in-ear as well, but I mostly run with treadmills so I not so worried about hitting stuff/stuff hitting me...

When I do run outside I just make sure the volume isn't excessive... (In-ear head-phones and driving and cycling are a no-no, at least in London...)
Old 12-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Shure

If price isn't an issue you could try the Shure E500PTH
Shure makes great pro audio equipment.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I honestly don't find this to be a problem with buds that include a hook that wrap around the top of and hang off the ears. But it does require you turn the volume down a bit. If you're one of those folks that can get the entire bud in the ear -- which I understand is not really good practice -- then you'd also have to pull them out a bit.