Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
theimmortalbum
theimmortalbum began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Broken PRS-505?

I got my PRS-505 shortly after they began to ship.. and about six months ago, I packed and moved, and after a conversation I had last night, decided to take it out of the drawer I've had it in for those six months, and start to use it again.

However, I've run into an issue. It was dead, obviously, so I put it on my PSP charger overnight. This morning when I went to turn it on, there was a thin black line on the right side of the screen, and what looks like a light grey rectangle covering the left third of the screen.

Is the screen dead? I've turned it on, I think, because the orange light turns on and the screen flickers or somesuch, but several seconds after sliding the switch, that orange indicator begins to blink and eventually goes dark again.

I honestly don't know what's going on. Any help? I'd hate to have to pay for repairs on this thing.. so expensive. Might as well get a new one for Christmas, though I'd rather keep this one.

Last edited by theimmortalbum; 11-30-2008 at 11:53 PM.
theimmortalbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I'd plug it in your usb port on the pc to make sure the internal memory works, and to see if the 'red' light appears,an indicator of an empty battery.
Make it charge via usb,and test the charger on the PSP.

I'd also try to press the reset button on the back (this can be done without fear of loss of books or data),and move and hold the power switch for a couple of seconds.This should make the reader reset.
If nothing happens on the screen move and hold the power switch for a second time.

hope that'd do the trick!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
theimmortalbum
theimmortalbum began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The internal memory works fine, I can access every file stored on the reader right now. The red light appears, then turns off.. so I try to turn the reader on again, and the line that appears on the right hand side gets darker and at one point faded away completely.

I never see the USB Charging indicator at all, either, and I know the PSP charger works fine - after all, it charges my PSP.

I've also done several soft resets, and that's typically when I get the most "results".

So.. yeah.
theimmortalbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
If you can see the files, that means the Reader boots properly. So if you don't see anything on the screen, probably it is broken (or some connection to it).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

+1,
the screen should show you a USB sign, telling you it's connected to the pc before you can access the internal memory!
If a reset in the back, and holding the powerknob does not do anything, then I agree that it could be a screen issue. Perhaps a broken screen?
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
deelambola
deelambola began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Has anyone found a solution to the problem described above?

It has happened to me also - screen is grey on one half and light on the other but can see nothing. When i do a soft reset and switch on, the orange light stays solid for a minute and then flickers for a few seconds before dissappearing.

Also when i connect it to the computer i can view all files. the red light also comes on for a period but then goes off but i still cannot view anything on the screen once i remove the USB cable and switch on.

I bought this as a Christmas present for my fiancee from waterstones and so is about 5 months old. Any help would be appreciated as it is cracking me up.
deelambola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Problems like that have been reported several times on several different threads. The most common belief is that it is either a broken glass substrate (need new screen) from dropping it or otherwise playing rough.

The second is believed to be an issue with the batery and the charging systems inside. This was what I had happen to my 505. If the batery gets depleted to the point where it is deader-than-dead, you have to use the PSP/Wall charger to put the juice back into it. Sometimes this results in the gray lines of death.

My solution was to call Sony support and hope it is under the MFR warranty still. If you bought it within the past year, Sony may be able to help you out. Make sure you get a hold of the Laredo Texas Customer Service branch for final service. They handled my warranty claim without a hitch. It cost me roughly $31USD for overnight shipping to Tx and back to Fl.

If this is the problem, make sure you tell them it is from the battery issue I explained above.

Hopefully they will be able to help you out. If you want, I can try to track down the name of the CSR I spoke to in tech support.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:24 AM   #8
deelambola

Thanks for the reply.

The battery had been drained to nothing and then left for a few weeks so it was completely flat.

I have only been using the USB to charge it so my first port of call is going to be getting a wall charger and see if I can resurrect it.

I will let you know if this makes any difference.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
Cath
Enthusiast
Cath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014
I think I'm having the same problems as described above: it won't switch on, I get the orangle light blinking, and if I plug it in to my PC the red light comes on as if it's charging, but then goes blank again after a few minutes. I can see the internal storage, but the screen is blank. I've tried a soft reset, and sliding the power switch, and it doesn't help.

I don't have a wall charger, nor do I have one for a PSP. I do have one for my HTC TyTN II, not sure if I can use that one?

Last time I used it it was working fine, and I haven't touched it since then (i.e. I haven't dropped it or anything). It's only 2 months old I can probably return it and get my money back, but I most likely won't be able to get a replacement (due to the way I imported it; I'm not in the US), which would be very disappointing.

Last edited by Cath; 04-26-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:01 AM   #10
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Get youself a PSP charger, they cost almost nothing online.

You can even look at your local version of craigslist for a used charger.

I got my new unit for €6 plus shipping....
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can recover from flat battery with only USB but it can take several hours just to get the red light. PSP charger is much faster and more convenient.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I plugged in the PSP adaptor AND the USB adaptor.
Reason being, that when plugging in only one of the two, you still can't boot that reader immediately.
I think if the battery is deader than dead, the reader notices the powerplug being inserted, and wants to boot the screen into the "battery charging" view.

If it seems like your battery does not seem to charge, and the screen won't go on, I'd advise you to plug in the two plugs at the same time.
This should give the reader enough juice to boot the device, AND charging the battery at the same time.

I suspect when charging via USB or AC, the reader is literally using almost all that juice to boot; while the battery also needs almost everything to charge, and this gives the error that recharging won't work.
So get a PSP adaptor, and plug the reader in a USB port and the AC at the same time.
Worked for me.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:10 AM   #13
Cath
Enthusiast
Cath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014
Would a PSP car charger work? I'm having trouble trying to find a reasonably priced PSP charger in SA.

Also, is this something that's likely to re-occur every time the battery runs down? Do I need to charge the reader every week or so to keep this from happening?
Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:18 AM   #14
deelambola

I borrowed a PSP charger yesterday and left it on charge overnight. However the same thing happened where the red light only appearded for half an hour or so and went out and the reader still would not switch on.

I am trying the USB and PSP charger at the moment.

Other than that I have found my receipt and am getting ready to send it off to SONY as it is only 5 months old.

UPDATE: PSP Charger and USB together could still not get the reader working again. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the charging. Can not think of anything else to do. Will just have to get in contact with Sony (or Waterstones- were i bought it 5 months ago).

Last edited by deelambola; 04-30-2009 at 03:03 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 05-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac

When you plug in both, press the reset button, and then poweron?

If you do that, make sure you have no SD card in the reader.
Sometimes an SD card can host a broken bootloader, or perhaps non compatible,or too many books, which will make your reader freeze.

A last thing to do, is to free up at least 5; or preferrably 10 MB from the internal flash.
Connect the reader to your laptop and do that first.
Sometimes the reader can't boot due to insufficient free disk space.

As far as a carcharger, yes.it's the same as the PSP AC adaptor. Same voltage, and more than enough Amps; so it should work.