Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-14-2022, 06:59 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Anyone purchased the new Plottr Pro [emphasis on 'Pro']

They're offering a 60% discount, but it's still a hefty price. It's currently available only as a lifetime purchase. This Pro version is not yet a subscription service.

I subscribe to the regular version.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:54 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
All I found was a "setup guide" for it which indicated one of the differences of the Pro version was cloud syncing and collaboration, specifically via an account on their website, which makes it very odd that they are selling lifetime licences rather than subscription ... I'd be wary of that.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:06 AM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
All I found was a "setup guide" for it which indicated one of the differences of the Pro version was cloud syncing and collaboration, specifically via an account on their website, which makes it very odd that they are selling lifetime licences rather than subscription ... I'd be wary of that.
I forget why, as I don't really use it, but I have a lifetime and the only damned difference I see is cloud synching. I mean, most of us are smart enough to put our working data files in Dropbox or the like, so...meh. I suppose it has value if several people are working on the same book, but for me, it's meaningless.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:18 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Lifetime Regular version of the regular Plotter is (I think) $99.00

The Lifetime Pro version is (for a short time; this is the second offering) is $117.00

One difference is that you don't have to be on the internet to use the Pro version. The internet is required, of course, for syncing.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-14-2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:58 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The Lifetime Regular version of the regular Plotter is (I think) $99.00

The Lifetime Pro version is (for a short time; this is the second offering) is $117.00

One difference is that you don't have to be on the internet to use the Pro version. The internet is required, of course, for syncing.
Yabbut, the ONLY thing that I see, in Plottr Pro Lifetime is cloud synching, right? So...???

Hitch
Old 01-15-2022, 07:21 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yabbut, the ONLY thing that I see, in Plottr Pro Lifetime is cloud synching, right? So...???

Hitch

I'm not certain if these slight additions are worth an extra $17, (compared to the regular Lifetime purchase):

On the other hand, I'm not certain that any Lifetime purchase of Plottr is worth $99 - $117

I'm still debating the issue.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-15-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:11 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I'm not certain if these slight additions are worth an extra $17, (compared to the regular Lifetime purchase):

On the other hand, I'm not certain that any Lifetime purchase of Plottr is worth $99 - $117

I'm still debating the issue.
Honestly...it's "okay" but not earth-shattering. It's not cheap, compared to the likes of Scrivener, which does a LOT more or any of the 90 bajillion other outlining and plotting programs out there. And it's a boatload more than good old Ywriter, too, which can be used to do exactly the same thing, although, once again, not as purty.

(You can hardly ever go broke cozying up to the mad desire for pretty-pretty, shiny-shiny, of the human.)

Hitch
Old 01-15-2022, 12:01 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Honestly...it's "okay" but not earth-shattering. It's not cheap, compared to the likes of Scrivener, which does a LOT more or any of the 90 bajillion other outlining and plotting programs out there. And it's a boatload more than good old Ywriter, too, which can be used to do exactly the same thing, although, once again, not as purty.

(You can hardly ever go broke cozying up to the mad desire for pretty-pretty, shiny-shiny, of the human.)

Hitch

Since I just bought a new TV, I may subscribe to the Criterion Channel instead ($99 a year, I think). I love those old Criterion Laser Disks from 35 or so years ago and the films and commentary they so lovingly provided.

And that would take care of any additional expenditure.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:05 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If I was spending money I'd buy a local copy of MS Office Basic. Beyond Word & Excel is worthless to me and I've got life time versions of Full Office 4.3, Full Office 95, Full MS Office 2000, Full MS Office XP, Word 2.0a, MS Office Basic of 2003 and 2007. Most versions of DOS and Windows up to Server 2003, Win 7, Win10. Various versions of MS-SQL, SBE Server, Mappoint, Visio (inc one pre MS-Version), Sharepoint, IIS, MS Money, Encarta, Visual Studio 5, VS 6, Exchange Server (ancient), horrid MS Works (which barely does).

I've binned most of it, but I have MS Works on a VM to export as almost nothing can read its files. Current Word might not read wri, wps or early MS Word (Dos or Windows).

I'm less fussed about keeping old programs for compatibility than 10 years ago. I wrote a pearl script to convert pre Wordstar 2000 format CP/M & DOS Wordstar to ASCII as I found some old files I had on 3" and 5.25" discs. I have one machine with 64 bit CPU and unusually a real floppy port so I can read most 3" to 8" discs of CP/M, CP/86 and DOS on Linux, though I gave away the 8" drive a few years ago, so I can't physically read those.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:14 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Now that brings back a few memories.

I still have my educational disks from Microsoft - I think they were $10 for each program:
  1. Office XP Pro - Disk 1
  2. Office XP Pro - Disk 2
  3. Office XP Pro - Disk 3
  4. Windows XP Pro
  5. Windows 2000 Pro
  6. Microsoft Word 2000

And then there's Ecco Pro, and Adobe Photoshop 5.0 [Limited Edition]

These are all on official disks, of course.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-15-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:27 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Since I just bought a new TV, I may subscribe to the Criterion Channel instead ($99 a year, I think). I love those old Criterion Laser Disks from 35 or so years ago and the films and commentary they so lovingly provided.

And that would take care of any additional expenditure.
I freely admit, Don, that I have absolutely zero idea of what you speak. Criterion channel?

Hitch
Old 01-16-2022, 06:48 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I freely admit, Don, that I have absolutely zero idea of what you speak. Criterion channel?

Hitch
Sorry. If you love films with different audio tracks (often from the Director) that includes interpretive audio and commentary, with Director's Cuts and impeccable video (with restored/lost video on classic films), check this out:

https://www.criterionchannel.com/

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-16-2022 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:32 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Sorry. If you love films with different audio tracks (often from the Director) that includes interpretive audio and commentary, with Director's Cuts and impeccable video (with restored/lost video on classic films), check this out:

https://www.criterionchannel.com/
Ah. My late sister would have loved that. I adore old films--I could probably go the rest of my life without seeing another movie made after 1950--but I think I'm generally happier without the commentary. :-)

Hitch
Old 01-17-2022, 06:21 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ah. My late sister would have loved that. I adore old films--I could probably go the rest of my life without seeing another movie made after 1950--but I think I'm generally happier without the commentary. :-)

Hitch

They have different audio tracks - just choose which one to listen to at any given moment.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:20 AM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
They have different audio tracks - just choose which one to listen to at any given moment.
Ah, thanks for the clarity. I'll check it out!

H