Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
skime
skime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
noise

Hi, I got my Sony PRS-600 today. It has a low strange background noise when I touch the screen. Is it normal? Anybody has the same experience? Should I call Sony?
skime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, skime.

Someone more familiar with a Sony will chime in soon, I'm sure.

In the meantime, enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by skime View Post
Hi, I got my Sony PRS-600 today. It has a low strange background noise when I touch the screen. Is it normal? Anybody has the same experience? Should I call Sony?
I don't think that is normal - it certainly doesn't happen with mine.

I would get it changed straight away - which is probably very disappointing

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
RobP
RobP began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by skime View Post
I get this too. It is more apparent when one keeps their fingers depressed - say when scrolling around a PDF.

It is a very low sound and barely audible unless you are in a perfectly quiet room. Quick presses of the touch screen generate the sound, but it is for such a short duration that it is easily missed.

I thought it was a design feature to let one know when the touch screen is actively working. I hope its not a problem...

RobP
RobP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:25 AM   #5
skime

Thanks for the answers. After I fully charged my reader yesterday I got 3 bars at evening. This morning I got 2 bars. (I used drawing function a lot.) It doesn't seem normal, does it?
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi no it doesn't sound normal at all.

My 600 is completely silent, I tried it just now with the device held right up to my ear but nothing.

And your battery sounds like there may be an issue with how quickly it's losing its charge.

Hope you get it sorted.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
donald1
Enthusiast
donald1 began at the beginning.

No the noise is not normal, mine is completely silent. (or maybe you have a very sensitive hearing .....? )

That the battery is quickly loosing charge could be the case that it is too new. Typical you have to use the reader and see that the battery decreases to about one bar and recharge it again completely. After doing so for 3-5 times the battery should have reached it's maximum capacity. The problem should now been gone.
donald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
I have the sound, but I think it's normal.
Probably it's a sound of processor working.
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:08 AM   #9
skime

Well, I just got my new Sony reader, and the noise is still there when I touch the screen. Maybe that's the way it works...
Old 01-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #10
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
That seems to indicate that I may need to get my hearing checked then
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
shounen-yuki
shounen-yuki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs-300
Modern touchscreen controllers are in the same physical chip as the dac < the device that converts the digital audio stream to be used as a headphone or analog out. It is possible that the cross talk from the touch screen controller is causing impulse noise on the headphone output. If you use lower impedance headphones , noise will be more noticeable.
shounen-yuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I hear a very low sound that sounds like metal scraping on metal and lasts for a split second when I change the pages on my 505. I just figured that normal.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #13
RobP
RobP began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS600
Hi All,

I have contacted Sony and they were not too sure whether the sound was an issue or not. They wanted me to send them my reader, but as it gets heavily used this won't happen

I have attached a small MP3 file in a zip which is a recording of the noise mine makes. Even though I have processed it a bit you will still need to keep your ears open!

The sound file starts with the clicking sound as I'm pressing the touch senstive screen, then finishes with me taking my finger off.

RobP
www.AncientArmies.co.uk
Attached Files
File Type: zip PRS600.zip (117.9 KB, 205 views)
RobP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #14
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
I went to a Sony store yesterday to check one for myself (still using the 505 here). It was quite silent in there (I like shopping in the morning), but did not catch it on my test earphones. Were it anything like what you captured there, I'd say I would have noticed it. Check everything thoroughly for any other defects - as shounen said, it sounds like crosstalk, but Sony should replace it, better sooner than later - other parts might fail more seriously.
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 AM   #15
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I've been using the 600 for a few months now and it doesn't make any noise whatsoever.

I still get the drop from 3 to 2 bars, but it stays on 2 bars for quite some time (I can read a book before it drops to 1 bar) so I am not worried about that.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote