Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Where to get classics which are properly formatted?

Argh annoys me so much that most classic/public domain ebooks are badly formatted. Still contain pages and pages of project gutenberg stuff at the beginning, lack a proper table of contents.

The ones from Amazon are quite good but still don't have ToC.

I realise it takes work to get them looking right, and people do it for free. But does anyone know where I can get good versions of popular classics?
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
But does anyone know where I can get good versions of popular classics?
Look at the top of this page.
There is E-Books link under the Mobileread logo ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Barnes & Nobles are very good with their classics. They include introductions and notes.

Try some free ones from here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/freelibrary
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
May I suggest you start here?

Click on the linky. Our members do an outstanding job of formatting.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Here, of course.
Also, Munseys.com
Or you could buy "Munseys Masks" off ebay if you don't mind dropping a few bucks for over 25,000 nicely formated epubs or PRCs.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Look at the top of this page.
There is E-Books link under the Mobileread logo ;-)
OMG thank you! ..all of you. The books on here look great. Just got illustrated versions of Oliver Twist and Sherlock Holmes. All formatted well with ToC.

Just made me a very happy person!

Old 09-08-2010, 03:43 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think God had very much to do with it. It was I who produced both the books that you mention.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:58 AM   #8
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think God had very much to do with it. It was I who produced both the books that you mention.
What? What about when you write in green...then you surely have a certain God-like quality I'm sure most of of us would agree
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:26 AM   #9
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Thanks Harry, I have just downloaded another one of yours. It looks much better than the Gutenberg copy.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
neonbible
Addict

Quote:
Good job

Whats the best way to edit a PRC file? I have just got Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm and they both lack a ToC. Any tips for adding one?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's no way to directly edit a PRC file; you'd need to decompile it to its HTML source, edit the HTML, and then re-create the book.

Easier just to skip the first step, get an HTML version of the book, edit that, then create the Mobi book.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have bought the MobileReference authors collections. Most cost $5 and they come with the complete works of the author, are nicely formated, and have a good Table of Contents. It was worth the price to me to avoid downloading and transfer the entire work of Twain, Joyce, London, and about 15 other authors.

Yes, I am lazy.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I have bought the MobileReference authors collections. Most cost $5 and they come with the complete works of the author, are nicely formated, and have a good Table of Contents. It was worth the price to me to avoid downloading and transfer the entire work of Twain, Joyce, London, and about 15 other authors.

Yes, I am lazy.
The trouble is, what you've bought will without question originate with PG and will hence be full of errors. That's why I've spent the last three years proof-reading Dickens in an attempt to produce a "complete works" that's as error-free as I can make it. Eg, while proof-reading "The Old Curiosity Shop" I found two instances where a complete double-page had been omitted from the book, not to mention a number of missing paragraphs, many missing sentences, and almost countless cases of missing or incorrect punctuation, quotation marks, accents, and other such minor things.

What you have is certainly good enough to read (although missing pages may leave you scratching your head about strange "jumps" in the story), but it's not very much use as an accurate reproduction of what the author actually wrote. That's why "free" public domain works (other than properly proofed ones, which are few and far between) haven't put imprints like Penguin Classics out of business.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
See, I learn something every day. The books that I have read did not appear to have errors, or anything that I noticed. I was under the impression that MobileReference proofread the versions they were using and fixed the errors found in them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #15
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
The trouble is, what you've bought will without question originate with PG and will hence be full of errors. That's why I've spent the last three years proof-reading Dickens in an attempt to produce a "complete works" that's as error-free as I can make it. Eg, while proof-reading "The Old Curiosity Shop" I found two instances where a complete double-page had been omitted from the book, not to mention a number of missing paragraphs, many missing sentences, and almost countless cases of missing or incorrect punctuation, quotation marks, accents, and other such minor things.

What you have is certainly good enough to read (although missing pages may leave you scratching your head about strange "jumps" in the story), but it's not very much use as an accurate reproduction of what the author actually wrote. That's why "free" public domain works (other than properly proofed ones, which are few and far between) haven't put imprints like Penguin Classics out of business.
Just curious Harry, but did you submit your corrected versions back to Project Gutenberg or did you just upload them here?

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote