Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-12-2006, 04:10 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Peter Watts' Blindsight released under CC

In the footsteps of Cory Doctorow, Peter Watts is one of the few authors who release their novels under a Creative Commons license. His latest work, Blindsight (available as PDF and HTML) deals with the familiar theme of alien first contact and has a current Amazon star rating of 4-1/2 out of 5. From Publishers Weekly:
Quote:
In the late 21st century, when something alien is discovered beyond the edge of the solar system, the spaceship Theseus sets out to make contact. Led by an enigmatic AI and a genetically engineered vampire, the crew includes a biologist who's more machine than human, a linguist with surgically induced multiple personality disorder, a professional soldier who's a pacifist, and Siri Keeton, a man with only half a brain. Keeton is virtually incapable of empathy, but he has a savant's ability to model and predict the actions of others without understanding them. Once the Theseus arrives at the gigantic and hideously dangerous alien artifact (which has tellingly self-named itself Rorschach), the crew must deal with beings who speak English fluently but who may, paradoxically, not even be sentient, at least as we understand the term. Watts puts a terrifying and original spin on the familiar alien contact story.
Other stories by Peter Watts under CC include:
Thanks to Michele for the heads-up!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Thanks Michele & Alexander for the links.
Well, I have downloaded Doctorow's novels some months ago, but I forgot to read them or better didn't found my time to do it. Thanks for the reminder.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I've downloaded this as well! Watts' stuff is amazing. I'm a fan of very few authors, rather getting juiced up for stories, but Watts is an exception.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:22 AM   #4
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
wow, that's quite a blurb. Anyone here read it?
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
Too many elephants for me. I belong to the Sci Fi Book Club, but one must use SOME restraint, I think.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert